2021-2022 Stars Regular Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
slaps

Re: 2021-2022 Stars Regular Season Thread

Post by slaps »

BigAl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:17 am
slaps wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:30 pm …a guy who shits on his players all the time…
No he doesn’t. This is a gross exaggeration that people choose to believe because they want him gone.

His style and decisions are wildly out of touch with modern hockey.
When the team repeatedly finishes in the middle of the pack then they are actually defining what a modern hockey is. Average hockey in the modern era is still modern hockey. Out of touch would describe some of the 17 teams that finished lower than us.
I can go back through multiple post-game interviews where Bowness is very much dumping on his players at an abnormally high rate. I can't recall a single one (although there may be) where he and the coaching staff took blame.

As to "modern hockey," sure. It's not about being average as "modern hockey." It's about stubbornly playing a (demonstrably bad) checking line routinely. it's about an insistence on dump and chase being the standard as opposed to an option. It's about starting Faksa in the shootout over Heiskanen. It's about coaching decisions that are routinely questionable at best. If you want to defend Bowness, feel free. But I don't think you can say with a straight face that he's coaching in a way that reflects modern hockey understanding and the current NHL.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

I don't actually say he's out of touch, I just think he uses a bad system and can't seem to make adjustments in game at all. Also the use of Faksa shows terrible decision making skill.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Out of touch, stubbornly obtuse, behind the times, refusal to change, inflexible. Whatever you want to call it.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

wonko80 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:30 am Would out of touch describe having a worse goal differential (the only negative one mind) than every other team that made the playoffs and even some that didn't make the playoffs?
At the end of the season, given all the same challenges as other teams, we ended up with more points than the non playoff teams. That is the standard by which we measure the regular season, so it’s the only standard that matters.
In the post season, wins are the only thing that matters, and I suspect we’ll get destroyed, but at least we earned our spot.
~ Swinton
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

wonko80 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:38 am Also the use of Faksa shows terrible decision making skill.
He gets blame for Faksa, but not credit for anything else. People threw fits for not scratching Radulov, until he did get scratched and then everyone was silent. Same with Comeau. People were furious about him getting ice time and silent when he got sent to Robidas island. Benn and Seguin demoted to the second line, Hintz and Robertson promoted to the top line. Harley has played in more games than Sekera. Heiskanen gets more minutes than Klingberg. This is a coaching staff that understands the potential of the youth movement.
~ Swinton
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Sure, you got me in that not all 100% of his decisions are bad. What an amazing bar to set for a coach that you are hoping can win you a Cup.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

BigAl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:32 am
wonko80 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:38 am Also the use of Faksa shows terrible decision making skill.
He gets blame for Faksa, but not credit for anything else. People threw fits for not scratching Radulov, until he did get scratched and then everyone was silent. Same with Comeau. People were furious about him getting ice time and silent when he got sent to Robidas island. Benn and Seguin demoted to the second line, Hintz and Robertson promoted to the top line. Harley has played in more games than Sekera. Heiskanen gets more minutes than Klingberg. This is a coaching staff that understands the potential of the youth movement.
I'm not giving Bowness a pat on the back for needing something like 78 games to figure out Radulov is his worst forward.

And was Comeau being sent away Bowness? I more get the impression it was Nill taking away one of Bowness's toys.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

wonko80 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:40 am Sure, you got me in that not all 100% of his decisions are bad. What an amazing bar to set for a coach that you are hoping can win you a Cup.
That's my problem. The franchise wrote off last year as a lost cause because of injuries. The team was complete dog *poo poo* last year, but Bowness skated from even a hint of blame for it. This was going to be their big all in year to go for it before Klingberg left in free agency, and what did we get? A mediocre team that backed into the playoffs.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

You've been watching this franchise long enough to know that "all in" means hopefully backing into one of the wild card spots and hopefully winning a game or two against one of the actual good teams so they get that third home game's worth of playoff revenue. The bar isn't any higher than that.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
slaps

Post by slaps »

wonko80 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:40 am Sure, you got me in that not all 100% of his decisions are bad. What an amazing bar to set for a coach that you are hoping can win you a Cup.
It's contention for a potential playoff spot, not contention for the Cup.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Troy McClure wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:48 am And was Comeau being sent away Bowness? I more get the impression it was Nill taking away one of Bowness's toys.
Bowness said in preseason that no one’s position was secure, or something to that effect. If Nill didn’t want Comeau then he shouldn’t have signed him to a contract in the offseason.
~ Swinton
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

I thought Comeau being removed was due to injury, not choice. Although any injury would have slowed him down to the point that freezing him in carbonite would actually increase his speed.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I assumed “injury” was just the excuse for not reporting to the AHL.
~ Swinton
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

BigAl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:18 am
Troy McClure wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:48 am And was Comeau being sent away Bowness? I more get the impression it was Nill taking away one of Bowness's toys.
Bowness said in preseason that no one’s position was secure, or something to that effect. If Nill didn’t want Comeau then he shouldn’t have signed him to a contract in the offseason.
Comeau was given a one year $1 million contract because the Stars needed an eligible body for the expansion draft. The Stars otherwise wouldn't have had enough forwards to offer Seattle. Comeau was on the roster, but Bowness was the one who chose to dress him every night.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

BigAl wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:36 am I assumed “injury” was just the excuse for not reporting to the AHL.
I think it was more of the handshake deal. You don't retire and take this one year deal for our expansion draft needs, and when we're done with you, we'll pretend you have an injury so you can collect the whole $1 million.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »