Former Stars Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
slaps

Re: Former Stars Thread

Post by slaps »

Raffl is one of the guys I wouldn't have minded if he stayed, just because he was fine for $1MM a year. That's barely more than league minimum. But his playoff performance was going to command a raise and Dellandrea (and others) can do the same job with approximately the same level of skill, but have a much higher ceiling.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Math

Post by Math »

The article says the Stars made him an offer that he refused. So he will be heading in his native Austria or in Switzerland.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

slaps wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:16 pm Raffl is one of the guys I wouldn't have minded if he stayed, just because he was fine for $1MM a year. That's barely more than league minimum. But his playoff performance was going to command a raise and Dellandrea (and others) can do the same job with approximately the same level of skill, but have a much higher ceiling.
I just don't want yet another roster spot tied up with a guy we know brings no offense. I'd rather see what's in the mystery box of a rookie or free agent.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

I remember reading in one of Bill James' Baseball Extracts about some Cinninnatti Reds team in the mid-60s, where the GM came in and cut everyone who didn't hit .250 or higher and replaced them with someone who did. Regardless of 'grit' and 'leadership' and 'veteran savvy'. That team went from sub-.500 to the World Series.

I kinda wish we would do that *poo poo* too. You suck at hockey? You're cut and replaced by someone who didn't suck at hockey last season.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

I don't know man. I think we need more players who suck at hockey.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:50 pm I don't know man. I think we need more players who suck at hockey.
Good luck making it to the World Series with that attitude.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

My guess is he already knew he wouldn't get any NHL offers.

I feel bad for the guy. He was awesome last season until he got hurt. Then he got scammed out of $30 million. And his final season was so shitty (maybe because of the injury or maybe because all old guys lose it at some point) that he lost any hope of getting another multimillion dollar deal in the NHL.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Radulov is and will be always one of my favorite Stars. His performance at the Winter Classic was tremendous.
Math

Post by Math »

Can't deny his commitment. He was one of the only guy to have given his 100% and shown some emotions when the team was lethargic. At least he was trying even if his play dropped way quicker than expected.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

He’ll go down as a latter-day Ribeiro to me. Real fun player for a while, but seems to wear out his welcome at every stop.
The Frugal Gourmet

I loved him during the pandemic run. But ah well. People get old.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

In Star-on-Star violence, Nishushkin scored twice on Mike Smith to make this much-awaited series even more boring.

His second goal was nice but pretty much every other goal scored tonight was tissue-soft.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

Val’s first goal went off his defenseman and was lucky. But yeah, some of those goals were pretty bad. Smith is either on or off. Thinking Edmonton will have to start Krazy Koskinen next game.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Looks like Bishop's contract is going to Buffalo to make it easier for them to hit the cap floor.

ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

He’s not going to retire as a Coyote? This is an outrage.
Math

Post by Math »

It's not over for the Coyotes: If Buffalo figures in the 10-team list Bishop provided for his limited NTC, he can still block the move.

If so, an alternative solution for the Sabres to reach the cap floor would be to give Eakin a 4-year extension at $8M AAV.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Stars paid a 7th rounder to move Bishop.

Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Can ... can we trade them Khudobin next?
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Can we put Benn on LTIR?
slaps

Post by slaps »

I think the way LTIR works, the Stars have to be cap-compliant on the first day of the season but then can immediately LTIR Bishop and save the cap hit. If they will be tight against the cap without his cap hit, easier to pay a 7th-rounder to make it go away.
The Frugal Gourmet

lame. I was super excited about that 7th rounder.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

slaps wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:38 pm I think the way LTIR works, the Stars have to be cap-compliant on the first day of the season but then can immediately LTIR Bishop and save the cap hit. If they will be tight against the cap without his cap hit, easier to pay a 7th-rounder to make it go away.
Yeah. This gives them more flexibility this summer.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Archangel972

Post by Archangel972 »

Read it and weep Stars Fans.

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The league is full of former first round picks who were recast into checking line players. Some come to it eagerly. Others have to face the possibly of being run from the NHL to embrace who they are.

He wanted to be handed first line and top PP roles here and pouted and demanded trades when he didn't get his way. Seems like being bought out was the wakeup call he needed to realize what role would make him a successful NHLer.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

IMHO, his #1 problem was that he skated with his head down and stared the puck into the ice. He was relying on volume shooting and fancy breakaway moves to beat the goalie. He’s finally learned to look up consistently and pick his spot before shooting, and, for the first time, he has an above average shooting percentage.
~ Swinton
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

He's also playing 18 minutes a night with guys like Landeskog and Kadri instead of 7 minutes every other night with guys like Comeau and Pitlick.
But even when he wasn't scoring goals here, his advanced stats, esp. possession, defense, and carrying the puck into the o-zone, were amazing. The Avs' data guys probably got raging erections when they saw he was available for nothing in return (they also had the same reactions when they saw Kadri and Toews and Manson and Lehkonen and...)

I still remember how exciting he was to watch in his rookie year. Almost every other shift he brought the entire arena to the edge of their seats. Jagr called him the most talented player he'd ever seen (probably full of *poo poo* but...). Then he got injured, then demoted, and that was that.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Dallas is referenced in the media as the place where offense goes to die. So…no surprise.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Let’s not exaggerate what the Avs saw in him and how they’ve used him. They gave him a one-year league near minimum deal. If they knew how awesome he’d be for them, they’d have signed him for cheap for multiple seasons, which he probably would have eagerly accepted.

He then spent his first two seasons playing 14 minutes a night on the third line — the exact same role he played in Dallas. It wasn’t until his second season with them that they even started giving him meaningful PK time. It wasn’t until this third season where they greatly increased his ice time.

And let’s also not exaggerate his rookie season. The dude had 34 points. You talk about him like he was Modano in his prime. It wasn’t that. He lost his job on the top line to Patrick Sharp because Sharp was better and more productive in every way, and Nichushkin handled losing that job like a *fargin'* baby.

Nichushkin isn’t better because of anything the Avs did. Until this season, the Avs used him the exact same way the Stars did. The difference is he accepted his role, committed to playing hard, and stopped being upset when he wasn’t handed top line and top PP minutes. He’s a better player now because he chose to be.