Former Stars Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
ScubaSteve

Re: Former Stars Thread

Post by ScubaSteve »

He probably wants Miro money and they offered him Lindell money + a Dave and Busters gift card.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Knives Out wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:16 pm I'm guessing he's not happy with Gaglardi's contact offers of "go *f-bomb* yourself" and "ask Benn for some money."
Sorry. Cell service around here is getting awful in any retail area. I hit reply while waiting for dinner, had the page crash, reload, and then become inaccessible. Guess all of that created an echo.
Last edited by Troy McClure on Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Jason

Post by Jason »

More

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

He knows the Stars aren't going to pay him. He also knows his next contract depends a lot on how much offense he can produce this season, so the sooner he can jump ship the better for his future.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

For his sake I hope he does get traded. Nill gave everyone but him the sweetheart deals.
~ Swinton
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Yeah I hope Klinger fired that agent that got him $4m x 7 years.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Sheesh lol.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Here you go. Seems like the trade rumors probably come from his agent talking to other teams.

But the "you can go find a trade" angle never works. It's just something you throw to a player to buy time. Makes the player feel like there's something they can do while the clock keeps ticking.

slaps

Post by slaps »

Nill is just a master GM. Sure am glad we've got Faksa and Glendening and Hakanpaa signed up for next year.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

Faksa, Glendenning and Hakanpaa have nothing to do with not being able to sign Klingberg. It's the other two large elephants.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

B Kat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:18 pm Faksa, Glendenning and Hakanpaa have nothing to do with not being able to sign Klingberg. It's the other two large elephants.
Yeah, those guys cost around what you'd pay to replace them.

The reason they can't afford Klingberg is because Benn and Seguin are greatly underperforming their contracts. Having both on the books for what they bring is like playing with 10% of your cap unavailable.

If covid hadn't rolled through and the cap kept going up 5% a season or so, this wouldn't be as challenging because there'd be more room for Klingberg. But with things flat the way they were, there's not enough room to pay him and still ice a roster with anything other than stuffed full of AHLers on minimum contracts. We saw last season how well the team plays with a third of the roster being dudes who have no business playing in the AHL (which I hope gave a reality check to the Defending Big D crowd who thinks every dude in the AHL would be better than our crappy lower lines).
Math

Post by Math »

The Stars can't re-sign Klingberg, the maths just don't work. And with #3 willing to get a longterm deal at around $7m-$8m AAV, both parties are stuck. While the two albatross contracts being the main reason for that, just add the awful Suter contract to sugarcoat it and it's pretty obvious everything will be done to get the best possible return for Klingberg before the trade deadline. It sucks but it's the best for both sides at that point.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

Let Klingberg see what's out there. Many teams have cap issues, and he's gonna be 30 this year. Then proceed. It does suck to lose him and it's pretty much his choice to stay at a rate that will fit (not likely) or go for, well, let's see how much more. Teams are learning that giving long term to older players (and thirty is old) usually bites them. His play has been subpar so far this season, prolly 'cause he's stressed out.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Klingberg deserves every dollar of whatever his next super-inflated contract will be. Good for him, too. He probably won't produce at that level but it won't be our problem, it'll be Toronto's or something.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

I should also point out that both Pavs and Radulov come off the books next season, freeing up over $13 mil. It's not like the Stars can't afford whatever Klingberg asks for, unless they're planning on going after some UFA that we'll all hate in three years.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

ToddM wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:03 pm Klingberg deserves every dollar of whatever his next super-inflated contract will be. Good for him, too. He probably won't produce at that level but it won't be our problem, it'll be Toronto's or something.
Probably something b/c TO doesn't have a whole lot of cap room. And Jacky Camplell is a UFA after this season.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

ToddM wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:06 pm I should also point out that both Pavs and Radulov come off the books next season, freeing up over $13 mil. It's not like the Stars can't afford whatever Klingberg asks for, unless they're planning on going after some UFA that we'll all hate in three years.
Money is freeing up, but quite a bit is going to stay in house. Robertson is a free agent this summer. He just saw Heiskanen go from ELC to mega contract, and Robrertson's first two seasons have been more impressive than Miro's first seasons. Robertson is going to go from near league minimum to a truck full of money. Then the following summer will have Hintz free and expecting a huge pay raise.
slaps

Post by slaps »

B Kat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:18 pm Faksa, Glendenning and Hakanpaa have nothing to do with not being able to sign Klingberg. It's the other two large elephants.
Faksa is very overpaid, and Glendening / Hakanpaa should have been one-year deals to keep the books clear. You can pick those guys or a similar guy up in free agency every year.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Math wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:43 pm The Stars can't re-sign Klingberg, the maths just don't work. And with #3 willing to get a longterm deal at around $7m-$8m AAV, both parties are stuck. While the two albatross contracts being the main reason for that, just add the awful Suter contract to sugarcoat it and it's pretty obvious everything will be done to get the best possible return for Klingberg before the trade deadline. It sucks but it's the best for both sides at that point.
That *fargin'* Suter deal is terrible.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Troy McClure wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:29 pm
ToddM wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:06 pm I should also point out that both Pavs and Radulov come off the books next season, freeing up over $13 mil. It's not like the Stars can't afford whatever Klingberg asks for, unless they're planning on going after some UFA that we'll all hate in three years.
Money is freeing up, but quite a bit is going to stay in house. Robertson is a free agent this summer. He just saw Heiskanen go from ELC to mega contract, and Robrertson's first two seasons have been more impressive than Miro's first seasons. Robertson is going to go from near league minimum to a truck full of money. Then the following summer will have Hintz free and expecting a huge pay raise.
And that's what all teams should be doing. They've got proof of concept with Robertson and Hintz. Pay them now for as long a term as possible, not when they are 29 or 30.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

slaps wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 am
Faksa is very overpaid, and Glendening / Hakanpaa should have been one-year deals to keep the books clear. You can pick those guys or a similar guy up in free agency every year.
Faksa is slightly overpaid, and he is still tradable. Glendenning and Hakanpaa have been good deals and will continue to be so. A team does need bodies to fill roster spots, and integrating new players every year isn't ideal.

The Benn and Seguin contracts are the problem.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Blolz.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Very funny
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

That’s a joke lineup right? Pretty sure Marc Methot only has one leg.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Can Jack Campbell really be "underrated" leading the league in everything in the biggest hockey market in the world?

Math

Post by Math »

A Klingberg-Petry trade? What a fantastic idea. But I won't underestimate Nill.

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

That’s a pretty embarrassing article. It’s the kind of *poo poo* teenage Habs fans throw out. Let’s trade our worst player for this other guy every contending team will want.

But I love how Google translate handled the description of Klingberg’s contract status. Klingberg “could become an autonomous player without compensation at the end of the current campaign.“
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

I like Petry, but I'm biased since he's Dan Petry's son. He's been a pretty good Dman, but not this season and 6.25 thru 24-25 and he's 34 years old. No thanks.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

My favorite thing about Petry is that he was drafted in the 2nd by the Oilers, who took years and developed him into a solid two-way d-man, so that at his peak they could then... trade him for a 2nd round pick.