2023-2024 NHL Regular Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Troy McClure

Re: 2023-2024 NHL Regular Season Thread

Post by Troy McClure »

slaps wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:30 pm "Attends to his mental health" is a weird way to say "deals with being charged for sexual assault."
This came out several days before the other guys on other teams all had to ask for leave. I think what happened is he lied to the team about why he was stepping away, and the team put out a statement based on his lie.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Math

Post by Math »

That's possible but that seems pretty dumb knowing that it was pretty straightforward of what would follow. He had to be aware that his fellow former teammates would be in the same boat.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Troy McClure wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:28 pm
slaps wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:30 pm "Attends to his mental health" is a weird way to say "deals with being charged for sexual assault."
This came out several days before the other guys on other teams all had to ask for leave. I think what happened is he lied to the team about why he was stepping away, and the team put out a statement based on his lie.
Another team, I might say surely they were smart enough not to believe him, but with Calgary, maybe they did.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

I’d like to know if any teams knew about this before drafting the players and figured it would never come out and drafted the player anyway. If the Blackhawks will engage in an organization-wide conspiracy to cover up an assistant video coach raping someone, I wouldn’t put anything past these teams when it comes to players with first round talent.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Math

Post by Math »

Maybe they thought that it was just some usual youngsters excusable behavior, but Formenton knew for sure that this story would come out at some point and backfire in their faces. He was quite a good Senators prospect, not a future stud but someone that could've been like a Shane Pinto or Ridly Greig, and the fact that he ran away all of a sudden in Switzerland's butthole was quite evident that he knew, not to mention that he managed to stay there for a sufficient time without turning into Jack Torrance.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Guess the Flames heard us speculating and wanted to offer clarification.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
slaps

Post by slaps »

“To extent required by law to investigate, we had no actual knowledge (without duty to investigate) that it was 100% certain based on what the police told us that Dube would be charged.”
Math

Post by Math »

Holy *poo poo*, that Flames statement is epic bullshit. The case was known in 2018, Hockey Canada was aware of that and both sides came to a financial agreement in 2019. Despite an non-publication order by the court, it's impossible that the Flames didn't know. Formenton's swiss club was unanimously and heavily criticized from the moment he signed there two years ago.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Yeah, but we're talking about the Flames here. They're probably still trying to put together a trade package for Dion Phaneuf.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

I'm actually confused. So, a lawsuit occurred some years ago, was settled, and suddenly charges are being brought against them years later? Why weren't they brought at the time of the lawsuit?
Math wrote:I love incest
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

SaintAngerBH wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 pm I'm actually confused. So, a lawsuit occurred some years ago, was settled, and suddenly charges are being brought against them years later? Why weren't they brought at the time of the lawsuit?
Back before the lawsuit, cops kinda did the old thing of not really looking into it. After the lawsuit settled, all of the stuff the victim's lawyers uncovered was handed over to cops who reopened the case.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Cross one name off the defenseman wishlist.

slaps

Post by slaps »

Lindholm is a forward.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

*poo poo*. Yes. I got him confused with Taven whose name was floating in this as well.
Math

Post by Math »

I don't understand this trade. The Canucks are on top of the League and they paid way too much to get Lindholm who said that he won't necessarly re-sign re-sign with them at the end of the season, making him a pure rental. Kuzmenko is totally overrated, so in a sense Vancouver managed to get rid of him. But why trying to fix something that's not broken?
slaps

Post by slaps »

Yeah that was a whole lot to give up. Although it seems more quantity than it does true quality.

And Kuzmenko isn’t playing that well but is paid like he is. So I’m sure some of it is the cap dump.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Troy McClure wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:14 pm
SaintAngerBH wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 pm I'm actually confused. So, a lawsuit occurred some years ago, was settled, and suddenly charges are being brought against them years later? Why weren't they brought at the time of the lawsuit?
Back before the lawsuit, cops kinda did the old thing of not really looking into it. After the lawsuit settled, all of the stuff the victim's lawyers uncovered was handed over to cops who reopened the case.
Got it. So, if convicted all of these guys could do real prison time. I bet the NHL is thrilled....
Math wrote:I love incest
slaps

Post by slaps »

I legitimately hope their contracts are terminated.
Math

Post by Math »

Also, the settlement was reached with Hockey Canada back at the time, and with the players involved. Whatever happens from now, found guilty or not, it's over for them in the NHL.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

SaintAngerBH wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:52 am Got it. So, if convicted all of these guys could do real prison time. I bet the NHL is thrilled....
This is one where the NHL was in the dark. Since the victim hasn’t tried to make this a public case at all, it hasn’t been possible to know who was involved until this week.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Troy McClure wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:38 am
SaintAngerBH wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:52 am Got it. So, if convicted all of these guys could do real prison time. I bet the NHL is thrilled....
This is one where the NHL was in the dark. Since the victim hasn’t tried to make this a public case at all, it hasn’t been possible to know who was involved until this week.
You are giving the league and the teams way too much credit. Every team literally has a Mike the Cleaner who would have buried this if only it had happened while the players were already on NHL rosters. I’d suspect this one was more they kinda knew something happened but didn’t WANT to know more until it became a PR issue, which now it has. But of course that’s just my suspicion.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

How will they investigate without the victim's cooperation? Does the victim's settlement not require their silence on the matter?
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:26 am How will they investigate without the victim's cooperation? Does the victim's settlement not require their silence on the matter?
There doesn't seem to be any kind of limitation on her talking to police.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Wasn’t the money she’s being paid a judge’s civil ruling? Not a settlement that might come with an NDA?
Last edited by ScubaSteve on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

ScubaSteve wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:23 am Every team literally has a Mike the Cleaner who would have buried this if only it had happened while the players were already on NHL rosters.

ScubaSteve wrote:Messier in a tan suit looks very phallic.
Math

Post by Math »

Troy McClure wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:38 am
Actually, the players have already been identified when the case was reopened in 2022. Maybe it didn't come out publicly but the teams were aware of that:
That prompted [Formenton] to head to Switzerland, where HC Ambrì Piotta announced his signing on Dec. 14, 2022, and noted in the press release that it was aware of the ongoing criminal investigation involving the Canadian world juniors team in London. The Swiss team said it presumed Formenton to be innocent in the matter but added: “Should the new investigation by the Canadian police reveal elements that are currently unknown, the Club and the player have reserved the right to reevaluate their contractual relationship.”
I remember the creepy jokes that popped up when he signed there and that's why I think the Flames' recent statement regarding Dubé is pure BS.
slaps

Post by slaps »

I don't believe a civil settlement can prohibit responding to a legally binding police request for information, can it?
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

slaps wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:38 pm I don't believe a civil settlement can prohibit responding to a legally binding police request for information, can it?
I don't think you can put it in writing because that would be documenting obstruction of justice, but you can pay someone enough that you can get them to refuse to cooperate. The NFL player who threw his girlfriend into his couch covered in machine guns settled her lawsuit, and then she mysteriously couldn't be found by police when it came time for her to testify in his criminal trial.
slaps

Post by slaps »

My impression that I've gotten from reading Strang's and other's pieces is that the woman felt the settlement was all the justice she would get based on who the guys are, not that she doesn't want prosecution.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Western Conference Canadian teams are loading up.