10/22 @ Montréal (6PM CT) - rare HNIC appearance

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Troy McClure

10/22 @ Montréal (6PM CT) - rare HNIC appearance

Post by Troy McClure »

Wouldn't be surprised if we see our first lineup change.

The Stars also continue their constant connection to the Canadiens. With Radulov gone, there are no longer any players on the roster who were Canadiens (or even Francophones), but the Stars made sure to fill the gap by hiring Montreal native Alain Nasreddine as an assistant.

Slafkovsky Is out tonight with a minor injury.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Math

Re: 10/22 @ Montreal (6PM CT) - rare HNIC appearance

Post by Math »

Game time decision, but I'm finally going. The potential witnessing a silent Centre Bell has won over having to deal with this awful crowd.
Troy McClure

Re: 10/22 @ Montreal (6PM CT) - rare HNIC appearance

Post by Troy McClure »

Math wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:15 pm Game time decision, but I'm finally going. The potential witnessing a silent Centre Bell has won over having to deal with this awful crowd.
Have fun. Enjoy the crowd grumble. Fans seem happy to see some better hockey but mad they're already out of the Connor Bedard sweepstakes.

I'm going to be watching this one later on the DVR.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Knives Out

Re: 10/22 @ Montréal (6PM CT) - rare HNIC appearance

Post by Knives Out »

I LOVE IT WHEN YOU CALL ME FAT HAPA !!!
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Nice goal by our #1 defenseman.
~ Swinton
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

He’s a pav pav pav man.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

Hakenpaa might want to consider being less of an asswhip.
The Frugal Gourmet

Guess Pavelski is *still* not too old to play in the NHL.
The Frugal Gourmet

If this keeps up for another 3 months, I will begrudgingly admit the Stars are ok.
The Frugal Gourmet

Welp.

Nice talking to you guys.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Sorry, didn't see the game tonight. Otherwise I would've added one post to this thread to truly make it a captivating conversation.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Dang. This was a serious ass kicking. The Habs had about a five minute stretch in the second period where they looked dangerous, but they mostly had little.

Pavelski’s goals can best be described as ridiculous. The backhander was unstoppable. The hat trick goal was hilarious. Yeah, the two Habs slid on by, but the goalie kind of ignored Pavelski having the puck.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I think we should trade Lundqvist for someone who makes more turnovers.
~ Swinton
The Frugal Gourmet

Troy McClure wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:20 pm Pavelski’s goals can best be described as ridiculous. The backhander was unstoppable. The hat trick goal was hilarious. Yeah, the two Habs slid on by, but the goalie kind of ignored Pavelski having the puck.
That first goal was kinda jaw dropping.
The Frugal Gourmet

BigAl wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:21 pm I think we should trade Lundqvist for someone who makes more turnovers.
We'd be 5-0 if we still had Klingberg.

Sticking with that theory.

(Seriously, Lundqvist was a pretty nice coup for Dallas).

Really I planned to blame every loss on not having Klingberg and there haven't been any so... yeah...
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

And Joe Pavelski continues to look like a dude who must bathe in HGH and roids to still be this good this old. Dude is only putting up his best career seasons in terms of points per 60 at ages 37 and 38.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

He's like Phil Kessel in that he is in no way physically impressive but just gets *poo poo* done.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

These guys all hated Bowness. It's *fargin'* universal.

slaps

Post by slaps »

wonko80 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:46 pm He's like Phil Kessel in that he is in no way physically impressive but just gets *poo poo* done.
Salad’s game article talks about how he’s always been considered too slow or whatever. But that he (and likely Kessel) just process the game at such a high rate that they just know where to be, even if they don’t get there quickly.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Math

Post by Math »

Well, that was damn fun. It cost me one arm to be close to the ice but it was totally worth it. Funny thing, all fans with Habs jersey that I met were actually from Toronto. Really few Stars fans there, probably less than 50, and it's always a nice feeling when you are the only one standing up in a middle of a red sea.

The Stars started strong in the first 10 minutes, then sat back a bit where Montréal had some good opportunities. Öttinger made some key saves at the right moment and the Stars also scored in key moments when the Habs seemed to have gained some momentum. The 4-2 just before the end of the second period was a killer for them and exactly like Öttinger said, they kept on attacking in the third and it was game over after the 5-2. And even there, the Stars could have scored more. Some other points:

- Heiskanen is a beast. Not only he's great offensively but his calm while being under pressure is astonishing. His defensive game is incredible.
- Tough game from Häkänpää. Three penalties, always late in battles, a couple of bad turnovers and partially responsible for the Habs first goal.
- The Benn line was ok, it was a good idea from him to trying to fight Xhekaj and be not involved in the play anymore, then everybody else forgot Johnston and Lindell.
- Strange to say, but Faksa's line did their job in shutting down Montréal's offense and clog the neutral zone.
- What to do with Gurianov... He seemed the rookie there and is not a good completement to Seguin and Marchment. It was difficult for that line too, Seguin was often kicked out of the face-off points and Marchment never managed to win a draw. The Seguin line did not have possession that often.

Finally, I met Johnston's parents while leaving Centre Bell, really cool people and a good ride for them, they will be in Ottawa Monday as well. They said that Nashville rocks as a city and every Stars fan should go there to attend a game. They were former Leafs fans and they are thrilled to root against them now.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

According to Michelle McMahon last night, the players say the new system is not very different, but this year they’re just doing everything faster. Which makes you wonder why they couldn’t have simply done things faster last year.
~ Swinton
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Just watched the condensed game. Pavelski could have had one or two more almost. He was really feeling it.

Also, the PP goal by Robertson was quite a pretty play all around, even by Benn.
The Frugal Gourmet

BigAl wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:25 am According to Michelle McMahon last night, the players say the new system is not very different, but this year they’re just doing everything faster. Which makes you wonder why they couldn’t have simply done things faster last year.
There's no way it is that much different.

I remember when a new coach jazzed this team up for many weeks straight and they got to the Finals.

Never could recapture that though.

I have a feeling it won't last unless the personnel itself is actually better.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Not too surprising to hear. I can’t remember which former player said it, but he was griping about how everyone is essentially playing the same system these days because video coaching has everyone seeing playing without the puck the same.

The difference here probably isn’t the system but the decisions within it when the Stars have the puck, and even there, we’re really only talking about decisions made about how to get the puck out of the zone and what to do entering the zone. As a percentage of decisions made, it’s maybe a 5% difference, but this 5% yields a lot more puck possession than Bowness pushing d-men to get the puck out of the defensive zone by any means necessary with a puck off the glass and onto an opponent’s stick in the neutral zone viewed as favorably as taking the extra second to pass it to a winger who skates it out of the zone.

But one way this thing looks very different is the PP. Their approach to puck movement and player movement on the PP is noticeably different.
The Frugal Gourmet

Actually our zone exiting has been phenomenal so far this season. I was actually thinking I can't remember the last time they were so good at it.
The Frugal Gourmet

wonko80 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:46 pm He's like Phil Kessel in that he is in no way physically impressive but just gets *poo poo* done.
And Zubov.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Castillo had a nice breakdown showing that Bowness’ system actually isn’t like anyone else’s. The way he had his forward position in the offensive zone was designed to suppress potential rushes from the other team and guard against breakouts, not generate offense.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I don’t trust his ability to interpret anything.
~ Swinton
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

BigAl wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:27 am I don’t trust his ability to interpret anything.
True, Bowness probably isn't good at advanced stats.