2022-2023 NHL Regular Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Troy McClure

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Regular Season Thread

Post by Troy McClure »

Member when people tried to say Huberdeau was better than Tkachuk?

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Hopefully he continues to suck until we can get him for Glendening and a 6th at the deadline.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Interesting look at how the slap shot is disappearing from the NHL. The explanation is a combination of teams having better skaters who quickly close on guys winding up for a slap shot along with the way these new sticks allow players to be able to fire hard wrist shots.

On the stick front, it is amazing how much easier it is to get a hard wrist shot off with very little effort. I'm using what anyone shopping today would call a low end stick because it is 1/3 the cost of what the pros use, but even my "cheap" one is $125 or so. When I first started picking up a stick, the cheap ones were $25 Sherwood and Koho sticks made of all wood or maybe some sort of fiberglass on the blade, but those were significantly inferior sticks for getting power into wrist shots. You had to be much stronger and have more skil to get the same shot a modern stick generates.

Maybe this is also a reason for scoring going up. Dudes are no longer winding up for shots from distance goalies see coming and find easy to stop. If you take the big slap shot the goalie stops with ease, you are essentially turning the puck over.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Math

Post by Math »

Troy McClure wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:31 pm On the stick front, it is amazing how much easier it is to get a hard wrist shot off with very little effort. I'm using what anyone shopping today would call a low end stick because it is 1/3 the cost of what the pros use, but even my "cheap" one is $125 or so. When I first started picking up a stick, the cheap ones were $25 Sherwood and Koho sticks made of all wood or maybe some sort of fiberglass on the blade, but those were significantly inferior sticks for getting power into wrist shots. You had to be much stronger and have more skil to get the same shot a modern stick generates.
That's also a significant part -- often underrated -- on how the game has evolved over the years. Today's composite sticks are so flexible and can store up so much energy that the puck is released much more faster even with a wrister shot. I'm a conservative fart and I still pferer the good ol' wooden stick (loved the Chimo and Sherwood ones) but composite sticks have become so much light that they offer you much more options. I remember when the Easton aluminum came out in the 90s where you could just change the lower part of the stick and glue them to the upper part. If you missed your shot or hit the ice too strong, you received a 25,000 V electric shock in the arm. I hated those, but I learn to get used to the composite sticks. I'm just more afraid to brock it given their price as I still have the feeling they are much more fragile.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

RIP clappers.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Math wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:49 pm
That's also a significant part -- often underrated -- on how the game has evolved over the years. Today's composite sticks are so flexible and can store up so much energy that the puck is released much more faster even with a wrister shot. I'm a conservative fart and I still pferer the good ol' wooden stick (loved the Chimo and Sherwood ones) but composite sticks have become so much light that they offer you much more options. I remember when the Easton aluminum came out in the 90s where you could just change the lower part of the stick and glue them to the upper part. If you missed your shot or hit the ice too strong, you received a 25,000 V electric shock in the arm. I hated those, but I learn to get used to the composite sticks. I'm just more afraid to brock it given their price as I still have the feeling they are much more fragile.
Another side effect of not taking slap shots is sticks last longer. I've never had one of these new ones break during a game, but I'm also not getting slashed the way NHLers are and also don't put torque on them the way pros do.

It seems like they still break on NHLers more than wood sticks, but it's not as bad as ten years ago when we saw multiple stick breaks a game.
slaps

Post by slaps »

It’s wild if you slow down a game just how much stick work is happening that I am sure stresses a pro’s stick.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Penguins all do Malkin's pregame warmup routine

wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

That's a funny bit
Jason

Post by Jason »

Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

I see that Rick Bowness hockey is finally settling in in Winnipeg.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

This is awesome. He scored a baseball fielding practice goal.

Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Three disallowed goals in a row for Jersey. Amazing. Fans are littering the ice LOL.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Avs get a free night to have fun in Nashville.

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The NHL needs to fine him.

ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Bishop was the king of doing that
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
slaps

Post by slaps »

Bishop was much better at being more subtle.
Math

Post by Math »

2-mn delay of game for the first infraction, game misconduct for the second one. Same thing when they suddenly lose their helmet while on the hot seat or if they play dead like Hellebuyck last night. Screw these cheaters, this is not soccer.

But yeah, the goal here is to be perfect on the thin line of subtility.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Devils @ Rangers review:
- Madison Square Garden is overrated. It's also a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The seats are narrow. But I will give them credit for having some awesome concession options. I wouldn't go out of your way to visit it before some other better NHL arenas.
- About 30% of the crowd were Devils fans. They were loud.
- Former New Jersey governor Chris Christie was sitting down below. He caught a puck. He was also cheering for the Rangers the whole time.
- The goal lights were screwed up for most of the first period. After the Rangers scored their first goal, the goal lights kept flashing for the next ten minutes or so.
- 2nd overall pick Kakko is going to have a long career as a third liner. He's a solid defensive player who is strong along the walls, but he isn't exactly full of offensive ability.
- 1st overall pick Lafreniere is a terrible player. Maybe he's suffering from a confidence problem, but he's also suffering from a skating ability, physical ability, and hands problem. Dude is a complete passenger who defends with beer league drive bys and loses every battle near him. He looks like a complete bust who is only playing because of where he was drafted. The Rangers need to do him a favor and trade him to see if a change of scenery can shake anything loose. He was the worst player on the ice.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Rangers would get a very niiiiice haul from the Habs for Laffy, for obvious reasons that always sets that franchise back LOL.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

I forgot. The jumbotron put up a "New York Celebrities" graphic and then showed us the lead singer of O.A.R. was at the game. Might have been the lowest level celebrity recognition I've ever seen.
Math

Post by Math »

A very meh 1st overall despite his big numbers in the juniors. Maybe it would have been better for Lafrenière to land on a small market than in flashy Big Apple. Gallant has tried everything with him, with no real success. But if staying in NY guarantees him to be a serviceable mid-bottom six player like Kakko, a move to Montréal will definitively kill his career à la Drouin style.
Last edited by Math on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Oh, and there was this hilarious attempt at a check. Dude’s own fans were laughing at him.

slaps

Post by slaps »

Troy McClure wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:26 pm - 2nd overall pick Kakko is going to have a long career as a third liner. He's a solid defensive player who is strong along the walls, but he isn't exactly full of offensive ability.
- 1st overall pick Lafreniere is a terrible player. Maybe he's suffering from a confidence problem, but he's also suffering from a skating ability, physical ability, and hands problem. Dude is a complete passenger who defends with beer league drive bys and loses every battle near him. He looks like a complete bust who is only playing because of where he was drafted. The Rangers need to do him a favor and trade him to see if a change of scenery can shake anything loose. He was the worst player on the ice.
We're going to the Stars / Rangers game on the 12th. I got tickets on the Chase Bridge, which is supposed to be very cool.

The Rangers seem to have a bad habit of murdering player development. Lundqvist was a well-regarded 1st-round pick and the Rangers were like "nah, he's garbage, play someone else."
Math

Post by Math »

I'm wondering if Kaprizov was indirectly mentioning Parisé and Suter...

ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Seattle beat LA 9-8 last night if my scoreboard app is to be believed. My only question is how did they allow Khudobin to play goalie for both teams?
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

I saw that. The Kraken are doing surprisingly well. Too bad their games are on late!
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

I’m only ever half paying attention these days, but are we really doing “I STAND WITH PATRICK MAROON” and #maroonstrong because Jack Edwards called him fat?
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

I'm always on board with calling Jack Edwards a piece of *poo poo*.