2022 Stars Off-Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Jason

Re: 2022 Stars Off-Season Thread

Post by Jason »

DeBoer finished his tenure in Vegas with a record of 98-50-12 (.650 points percentage) and two trips to the semifinal round of the playoffs before missing the postseason this year. The Golden Knights had the eighth-best record in the NHL over that span and won the third-most playoff games.

And while DeBoer is a strong coach, and got plenty of good results over his first two years in Vegas, the team didn’t feel he was the best fit to get this roster over the hump. DeBoer’s structured system drastically improved Vegas’ defense and breakouts, but the Golden Knights also have too much offensive talent to struggle to score the way they have during key stretches. And while injuries were at least partially to blame this season, the special teams were not good enough under DeBoer, especially the power play.

At times, the scheme in the offensive zone has felt too predictable and the Golden Knights lacked the personnel to score goals the way DeBoer seemed to prefer, which was firing shots from the point while players screen the goalie and deflect shots in front. So while there’s nothing necessarily wrong with DeBoer’s system, or the personnel, they just weren’t the best match to bring the best out of each other.
DeBoer's system isn't a good choice for the Stars.
dyhp

Post by dyhp »

more of the same...

ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Fun fact: DeBoer mean “of Boer” in spanish
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

So the Stars will continue to be Boering to watch next year
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

A Boering 737 Max of a team
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
slaps

Post by slaps »

I wonder if the Oilers would look at a Gurianov for Barrie trade. The Oilers need cap space and that would get them about $1.5MM. The Stars need an offensively minded guy on the blueline and Barrie's cap hit would be right about Klingberg's current cap hit.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
dyhp

Post by dyhp »

dyhp

Post by dyhp »

The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

dyhp wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:09 am
Backpedaling hard
slaps

Post by slaps »

For all the talk of Cassidy's lack of ability to develop younger players, this is a really good point:

https://theathletic.com/3358088/2022/06 ... crumbling/
During Cassidy’s eight AHL seasons, Tuukka Rask, Brad Marchand, Johnny Boychuk, Adam McQuaid, Anton Khudobin, Kevan Miller, David Pastrnak and Ryan Spooner were some of the players he sent on one-way trips up 95 North.
DeBrusk, one of the Bruins’ three 2015 first-rounders, is still here. Many of his peers are not.

At one point or another, the Bruins had hopes that some of the following players would comprise part of their next core: Anders Bjork, Peter Cehlarik, Austin Czarnik, Ryan Donato, Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Danton Heinen, Ondrej Kase, Karson Kuhlman, Jeremy Lauzon, Zane McIntyre, Colin Miller, Joe Morrow, Rob O’Gara, Nick Ritchie, Zach Senyshyn, Spooner, Malcolm Subban, Urho Vaakanainen, Frank Vatrano and Dan Vladar.

All were 24 or younger when they first played for Cassidy. None remain in the organization. Their lack of success, both in Boston and beyond, may say more about the talent evaluators that brought them in than the coach.
It not like any of those guys has gone from being bad in the Burins to being successful elsewhere, such as Niskanen or Nichushkin. They may all just be a bunch of Honkas.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Yeah, I think the idea of player development is highly overrated. NHL teams spend very little time with the kids they draft. You have week-long rookie camps in the summer and then a couple of weeks of training camp. That's about it, and then those good young players return to their junior/college/Euro teams, which have no affiliation with the NHL. NHL teams aren't spending all that much time with their draft picks.

The only guys you can say get any meaningful time being developed by their draft team are the guys who go spend a lot of time in the AHL, but the reality is very few of the players any of us consider higher end players spend much time in the AHL. Any guy who spends two or more seasons in the AHL is pretty much guaranteed not to be much of an NHL player.

This is why I think it comes far more to who you pick than how you develop them.

So for Cassidy, the complaint is he didn't utilize many young players, but then people who follow the Bruins closely are also quick to point out it was for good reason because the young players they have are not any good.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
The Frugal Gourmet

I think player's can be made better by their coaches but I don't know to that what extent this is called "player development" and not just "coaching".
Math

Post by Math »

DeBoer is literally "The farmer" in dutch.
The Frugal Gourmet

But figuratively it's "The Spatula". Read into that what you will.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:17 pm I think player's can be made better by their coaches but I don't know to that what extent this is called "player development" and not just "coaching".
I've determined 90% of player development is waiting for teenagers to grow into their man bodies. Whether they develop into NHL players is mostly about them and not about the handful of days a year an NHL club spends with them telling them how to get better.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

A Stars sponsor looks to be going under.

ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Troy McClure wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:59 pm
The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:17 pm I think player's can be made better by their coaches but I don't know to that what extent this is called "player development" and not just "coaching".
I've determined 90% of player development is waiting for teenagers to grow into their man bodies. Whether they develop into NHL players is mostly about them and not about the handful of days a year an NHL club spends with them telling them how to get better.
It depends on the team. Tampa, for example, is always bending over backward to make their players better... that's an organizational and coaching decision. Dallas, on the other hand, famously had no goaltending coach for like ten years, and then hired Mike Valley to simultaneously coach every level of our system. Campbell said he never saw a goalie coach until he went to LA.

Sure, it's on the players whether they 'take' the development or not, but it's totally an organizational decision on whether to invest resources in that area or not.
slaps

Post by slaps »

The Maple Leafs invest a tonne of money into amenities and player development.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Math

Post by Math »

According to LeBrun, Petry still wants out of Montréal, Dallas would be the target if the Stars don't re-sign Klingberg.

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Petryis older than Klingberg. He will turn 35 in December. Petry’s cap hit is also $6.25 million for the next three season.

He has the same contract term left as Suter. This would mean spending almost $10 million a season on two 35+ year old d-men.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

He's also just ok.
Math

Post by Math »

I'm interested in bringing in Petry but only if we can add a full NMC/NTC or if we extend him until he turns 53.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

Petry's decent, his contract is not. Where Klingberg lands is more interesting. I'm hoping it's Detroit.
The Frugal Gourmet

I'm interested in this Klingberg guy. We should sign him.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Big news. Big big news.

The Frugal Gourmet

The stache makes this a good deal.
5minmajor

Post by 5minmajor »

Hooray!
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Math

Post by Math »

Now I'm hungry. Time to hit a home-run and extend L'espérance.
slaps

Post by slaps »