2022 Stars Playoff Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Troy McClure

Re: 2022 Stars Playoff Thread

Post by Troy McClure »

Last season, the Stars wrote off the results as nothing to see because of the injuries. It was the recovery year from the bubble run. During that lost seasons, they finished with a pace equal to 88 points in a full season. Now with a season where the Stars were about as injury free as any team I've ever seen, they finished with 98 points and a wild card spot. Better, sure, but not a lot better.

Fluttering out in the first round is in line with preseason expectations, but it also looks bad because the Stars as constructed are in decline and the two biggest pieces weighing them down aren't going anywhere any time soon.

This is going to be an offseason where we know a few guys are leaving, but it's difficult to expect great change when we're still going to have a third of the team's cap going to three guys who each underperform their huge contracts by only putting up 40 something points a season.
Last edited by Troy McClure on Thu May 12, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Also, the Stars have Benn saying all along "we're a team constructed for the playoffs and we'll be awesome when that time comes."
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

slaps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:35 pm Also, the Stars have Benn saying all along "we're a team constructed for the playoffs and we'll be awesome when that time comes."
It's not just Benn saying that. It's essentially the motto of the Stars. So to see them barely hang on should really be embarrassing for the entire organization.
slaps

Post by slaps »

wonko80 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:17 pm
slaps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:35 pm Also, the Stars have Benn saying all along "we're a team constructed for the playoffs and we'll be awesome when that time comes."
It's not just Benn saying that. It's essentially the motto of the Stars. So to see them barely hang on should really be embarrassing for the entire organization.
I was mking a dumb joke with the been / Benn. Benn himself is too busy trying to mouth-breathe to make comments.
Last edited by slaps on Thu May 12, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

wonko80 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:17 pm
And the reality is this series would have been over by now had Oettinger not been playing out of his mind. Markstrom has also been great, but you sprinkle in the difference of five more goals for Calgary over the past five games...

B8F3B84A-893C-4570-AD87-4EDC3FB4477F.jpeg
B8F3B84A-893C-4570-AD87-4EDC3FB4477F.jpeg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 485 times
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
slaps

Post by slaps »

The Flames actually are what the Stars want / pretend to be.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Jason

Post by Jason »

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

slaps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:21 pm
Bob is on day two of vigorously defending Bowness. I know Bones is a super nice guy, but the Stars already thought about firing him twice this season after a couple of long losing streaks of terrible play. And watching this team get its teeth kicked in third period after third period all season…. I’m not saying I know any other coach could do much more, but I think we all see what it is we get from Bones, and it’s not good enough to justify the free pass Bob would give him.
slaps

Post by slaps »

I am more interested in the assertion that the Stars will do whatever it takes to avoid any type of rebuild (even in the face of it being obvious they need to do so) just to avoid having empty seats. Saad had a piece earlier this year in which he talked about the Stars feeling like the organization can't withstand a rebuild.

I guess that means more bullshit low-event bad hockey and investing heavily in fourth-line grinders.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Bob is correct about Bones just being a good soldier and doing what is asked of him and working with what he’s got. Bob is also correct about the larger causes of the team’s consistent mediocrity.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

So I wasn’t paying attention but apparently the NHL Corgie predicted Stars in 7, with us winning games 6 and 7 specifically LOL.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

I think the Flames fans are over exaggerating their dominance anyway.

Oettinger has been great but also in the games we've won I've marveled how many ordinary shots the Flames took.

And I've seen this happen to the Stars over the decades and was hard on them.

I'd say its completely their fault. You gotta get those shots the goalie can't see (the Flames aren't always) you gotta get side to side movement and you gotta get to rebounds (they aren't in many games). that's the playoffs.

There is no goalie who can beat you if you get the right kind of chances.

And they're playing a one line team. Mustering the necessary offense should be possible.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Darryl Sutter's love of getting shots on goal isn't a bad strategy most times. You pepper league average goalies with lots of shots, and you're bound to see goals happen.

But if the goalie is playing the way Oettinger is right now, they're finding taking a bunch of low percentage shots isn't working.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

Yeah. Problem is I think the Stars are getting the rebounds a lot so an ordinary shot from distance is often just a turnover.

He's probably right though that with enough shots something is going to go in.
Math

Post by Math »

Well, Zadorov will be dressed Sunday.

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Oh no

Math

Post by Math »

Bottom-6 dudes are usually the one who are flashing on games #7 like Paul and Domi yersterday. The solution should be coming from guys like JFK or Studenic and as the Stars will turtle the whole game anyway, I don't mind not having Hintz in the line-up.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Seguin already gave us everything he had in the form of that charity tap in empty netter. It’s unfair to ask more of him.
Math

Post by Math »

Maybe Hintz (and the Stars office) knew it was his last gig with him sidelined for the rest of the playoffs before we put him on LTIR next season while ultimately send his contact to Arizona.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

I’m going to bed, will do a post mortem later, alls I know right now is that I’m buying an Oettinger jersey.

I love you all LOL
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Oettinger had two games where he was just "good."

Math

Post by Math »

So I guess it was a better option to dress an injured Seguin rather than another healthy forward.

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Seguin being held back in the playoffs by injury sums up his career as a Star.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Here's the updated list of Seguin's major lower body injuries.

- February 2015 - MCL tear in right knee - missed a month after Kulikov kneed him

- March 2016 - right Achilles tendon cut - had surgery and missed a month

- September 2016 - hairline heel fracture crashing into the boards during the World Cup prep - missed a couple of weeks - not sure which foot

- March 2020 - two right quad tears and a right knee injury - tried to let it heal by skipping legs days for months during the covid pause

- July 2020 - completely tore his acetabular labrum in his right hip - had right hip arthroscopy and labral repair in November 2020 - followed it with right knee arthroscopic surgery six weeks later - spent months in rehab

- May 2022 - broken foot game in game one of the playoffs - no surgery needed
slaps

Post by slaps »

I want to be mad about the Seguin contract, but I can't. It's astonishing to me that Seguin can still walk at this point.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

It's amazing that Seguin, who at one time was known for his speed, is now so slow that a broken foot had no noticeable effect on his speed. But like slap said, it's a miracle that this guy is even standing upright.
Math

Post by Math »

Unlike Benn, I don't think Seguin will play until the end of his contract if injuries continue to pile up. At some point he will be put on LTIR before trying to dump his contract in AZ.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Math wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:07 pm Unlike Benn, I don't think Seguin will play until the end of his contract if injuries continue to pile up. At some point he will be put on LTIR before trying to dump his contract in AZ.
I also think a guy like Seguin is one who will hate playing hockey if his physical ability diminishes to the point where he's playing with third line scrubs, not scoring, and getting pulled off the PP.