04/27 vs Coyotes (7:30 CT) - Chasing the loser point

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Troy McClure

Re: 04/27 vs Coyotes (7:30 CT) - Chasing the loser point

Post by Troy McClure »

The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:25 pm Well I guess it doesn't matter that we are no longer a great 3 on 3 OT team.
Yeah, instead we can focus on how the Stars are the worst playoff team at accumulating regulation wins or out scoring opponents.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

Troy McClure wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:32 pm
The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:25 pm Well I guess it doesn't matter that we are no longer a great 3 on 3 OT team.
Yeah, instead we can focus on how the Stars are the worst playoff team at accumulating regulation wins or out scoring opponents.
I mean it doesn't really matter. Even if there weren't they still wouldn't win.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:35 pm
Troy McClure wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:32 pm
I mean it doesn't really matter. Even if there weren't they still wouldn't win.
I’m more highlighting how the Stars are a playoff team because of the loser point, so the results can only be expected to be worse when not able to turtle back to a loser point.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
The Frugal Gourmet

I think losing losing all the games by one goal would be exhausting. Hopefully there are a few blowouts.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Despite their best efforts, the Stars have qualified for the playoffs.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I’m not convinced that the team will make the playoffs. Surely there’s some way we can still screw it up.
~ Swinton
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

They're obviously playing the long con, making the rest of the league *think* that they can't score goals. They know the regular season is just an 82 game appetizer.
slaps

Post by slaps »

B Kat

Post by B Kat »

I watch teams give up leads every night. But a game of this magnitude, with a three goal lead against a shitty opponent in the third period and they crumble? This team is mentally weak. Coachety, coachety, blah, blah, blah. These players can not buckle down. One bad thing happens and they fall apart.

Yay, we’re in the playoffs. :S
Getsmacked123

Post by Getsmacked123 »

ToddM wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:08 pm They're obviously playing the long con, making the rest of the league *think* that they can't score goals. They know the regular season is just an 82 game appetizer.
I agree, they also would of got to the first wild card spot if they wanted to play Calgary. But they don't want to play Calgary, they want to play the AVS, so they just get the point so they can play the number 1 seed, it was the plan all along.
The Frugal Gourmet

There's something in the back of my head, though, that tells me the Stars can't get just blown out.

Why? Because I expect that and that wouldn't crush my spirit enough.

So what they're gonna do is find some way to give me the tiniest sliver of hope and then snuff it out in the worst way possible.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Frugal Gourmet wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 am There's something in the back of my head, though, that tells me the Stars can't get just blown out.

Why? Because I expect that and that wouldn't crush my spirit enough.

So what they're gonna do is find some way to give me the tiniest sliver of hope and then snuff it out in the worst way possible.
I love the phrase gentleman's sweep for a 4-1 series. It's often the game four win by the team down three playing their best game of the season in desperation. Then the fans all start talking about how if the team can play like that the next game it could be a series.
slaps

Post by slaps »

https://theathletic.com/3277703/2022/04 ... yoff-spot/
“You know what? You move on. We’ll get ready for the playoffs. … Most important thing is that we’re in the playoffs and we move on.”

Bowness said that’s exactly what his message was to the Stars after the game.

“Talk about taking your foot off of the gas,” Bowness said. “Anyway, we’re in the playoffs. It’s great for the city and great for our fans. It’s going to be a great atmosphere here when we get back.”

A follow-up question was asked: “This has been a pattern throughout the season — ”

“Nope, no, different reasons,” Bowness said. “Just different reasons we lost those games. No big deal.”

“You said there were different reasons throughout the season — ”

“Those games are long gone,” Bowness said. “I’m not even worried about those games. I’m not. We addressed it. We’re one of the best teams in the league at coming from behind in the third period. Stuff happens, you move on.”
The Frugal Gourmet

I'm not sure if that's the wrong attitude to have exactly. I mean it's false. But it might be good for his team right now.

Realistically, he doesn't have the talent to win deep in the playoffs no matter what though. Much less starting out against the absolutely primed buzzsaw that is the Avalanche. As much as we don't like him, there's not much anyone could do about it except take it one game at a time.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

So basically the Ted Lasso goldfish speech
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
The Frugal Gourmet

ScubaSteve wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:46 pm So basically the Ted Lasso goldfish speech
Yup. I don't think it's terrible coaching exactly. The press knows it's a lie, but...

(As an aside, goldfish actually have excellent memories)
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Every team of any quality shits the bed. It happens. Dwelling on it isn't worth the time.

But this bed shitting came a week after going to western Canada and getting their teeth kicked in three games in a row.