04/20 @ Edmonton (7:30PM CT) - CBD OIL

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Math

Re: 04/20 @ Edmonton (7:30PM CT) - CBD OIL

Post by Math »

"Bowness is doing a great job in Dallas. They reach the SC final two years ago, so he deserves and should get an extension after this season."
"Faksa is a very responsible forward and he's one of the key of the Stars' recent success."

Ok, they definitely didn't watch a lot of Stars games.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Faksa is now -3 on the night.

His line will start the third period.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

I predict that we tie it back up in the third, but then let them score with only a few minutes remaining, and then the final EN 6-4 goal continue to *fargin'* suck.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

This isn’t the way to tie it up. Already have given up two 2 on 1s. Lucky to not be down by three.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Miro takes the puck across center ice and dumps it in while the whole team changes. Dude, stop being so passive.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Benn smiling while flying into the Oilers bench was pretty lulz.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Going in backwards is a scary way to flip into the bench.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

McDavid. Of course.

I wish one of our three mega contract guys produced a lot of offense.
Math

Post by Math »

Ok so if we do a quick wrap-up, the Stars have been coming off a poor showing in Vancouver, and then they offer the same kind of performance yesterday. It was obvious that Edmonton would start strong and use their speed to immediately cut the Stars' legs but they weren't prepared for that and this start doomed them. They luckily tied it but they were nowhere close to grab at least the moral victory.

There's no shame losing against a hot Oilers squad that has been very dominant at home in their recent games, but the way they lost it is quite concerning. This defensive-minded shutting down team was rolled over the Oilers, allowing 50 SOG and let Wedgewood at his own, despite a very bad third goal. Even if you can't blame him for the loss, the questionable choice to put him instead of Öttinger has been raised by every analyst during the game. Their argument: usually you start your #1 goalie for the first back-to-back game and you put your #1 goalie right after a bad game to give him the opportunity to rebound and gain confidence.

Bowness likes to pinpoint the concept of generating offense from the defence, hence from winning faceoffs. Yersterday Benn had a 71% efficiency, Faksa 63%, Hintz 57%, and the team led in this statistic. However, they weren't able to generate anything from that, going to constantly losing battles coming from dumping the puck -- no wonder, they are much quicker. It's simplistic but I can't help thinking of Bowman's quote: "If you have the possession of the puck, why the hell giving it away ?"

As often this season, the team's preparation to this kind of meeting is a fail and the coaching staff has a major responsability.
Last edited by Math on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Something analysts have missed is, if you go by usage since the trade deadline, Bowness has been using Wedgewood as his #1 goalie. Oettinger has been struggling as the season has gone on.

But you're right about the team's performance. Losing to one of the best teams isn't bad, but the Stars got outplayed from end to end. They were out skated and out battled.

Everything Bowness preaches, they stopped doing. It's what we see during every losing streak this team goes on under Bowness. They get shelled.