2021-2022 NHL Regular Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Math

Re: 2021-2022 NHL Regular Season Thread

Post by Math »

And Dadonov's cap hit remains on Vegas :'-D
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Knives Out wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:21 pm
ScubaSteve wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:52 am So apparently Ottawa traded a player to Vegas, and the player had Vegas on their no trade list, but Ottawa claims they didn’t receive the player’s no trade list on time. Now they have to untangle all this and probably reverse the trade
It's even dumber than that: When Ottawa traded Dadanov to Vegas they apparently forget to tell them about his M-NTC, so when Vegas traded him to Anaheim, that team was apparently on his no trade list LOL. The trade is going to be voided.
I blame Vegas. Someone in the Vegas front office didn't look at Dadanov's contract after they acquired him.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Someone from Vegas' front office could have just looked at CapFriendly.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Wow. One of the worst owners in the NHL kicked the bucket.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Is that why all that cheering is coming from the north? I thought maybe they'd shot another black kid in Frisco.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Last night, the Ducks got to see some of their skilled young guys do some skilled young guy things with a 5-0 beating of the Coyotes. Zegras with a pretty awesome goal here.

This apparently upset the Coyotes. Halfway through the third, there was a fight. Then a few minutes later there was this where Jay Beagle lost his mind all because someone made a weak poke on the goalie. The worst part was Tyson Nash doing color analysis endorsing the idea of beating up anyone who tried to score.

Related to this, I went to a stick and puck yesterday since I hadn't skates in a few weeks because of travel and leagues pausing for spring break. There were several younger dudes there probably college age who were spending a lot of time playing around with this Zegras style puck stuff. We're only going to see more of it in the coming years, so the unskilled plugs better get used to seeing better players do it.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Sounds like the type of commentary you’d expect from a guy who, to put it nicely, was not a skilled player and played for pesky teams his entire career. But I wouldn’t go so far as to call that embarrassing. The sport has definitely been pussified over the past couple decades, but I don’t think we should be to the point where saying that a guy showboating might make himself a target and someone might hit him is controversial.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

I hate the unwritten rules in hockey and baseball where appearing to enjoy doing the thing that wins games means the other team should get to attack you.

wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

On one hand, I get it. I've played against dudes way better than me and it is maddening to watch them "show boat". Then again, I'm playing in an adult beer league that isn't anywhere near the highest level of beer leagues. So in the NHL, you'd think you might expect it. So yeah, what is really happening is these guys are mad that others are better than them so they beat them up. Assholes are everywhere.
slaps

Post by slaps »

It’s not “pussification” to say that guys showing off individual skills shouldn’t be punched in the face for doing it. It sells the game and brings in more interest. If the other guys on the ice don’t like it, learn to do something better and showboat that.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

People took runs at Gretzky all the time. Instead of people whining about it, the problem was solved by getting McSorley, who would murder anyone who touched Gretzky.
slaps

Post by slaps »

There’s no place for that anymore and the game is better for it. Honestly, anyone who takes a run at a player / retaliates for “showboating” should just be given a 15-game suspension. Let the skill players play and do their thing. It’s endlessly more entertaining than some pylon on the ice.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Showboating over some 50 year old beer league accountant is one thing... that's being a dick. But NHL is best-on-best. The Best Defenders in Hockey should be able to stop that pretty easily by skating into him while he's balancing the puck on his stick.

If you can't do that, then don't get all mad about it later and punch some other guy. Why? 'Cause the showboater hurt your feelings? Aww, poor guy!
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

We continue to reach the point where guys who were rookies when I was close to 30 have played long careers and are retiring.

ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Niskanen retiring was the one that really made me feel old.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

ScubaSteve wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:55 pm Niskanen retiring was the one that really made me feel old.
Same.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Fine, maybe Steven is on to something:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxsco ... 10DET.html
Jason

Post by Jason »

Jason

Post by Jason »

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The salary cap remains a suggestion if your owner is willing to spend enough.

wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Nah, just a coincidence.
Jason

Post by Jason »

slaps

Post by slaps »

https://theathletic.com/3248721/2022/04 ... bird-fund/
Ryan Hartman was already a fan favorite across the State of Hockey, but the Wild’s first-line center’s popularity soared to new heights Tuesday night when he jumped to star linemate Kirill Kaprizov’s defense, then directed a middle finger at the player who got into it with Kaprizov — one of the NHL’s most polarizing figures, the Edmonton Oilers’ Evander Kane.

The league made Hartman pay the piper for the gesture Wednesday, fining him $4,250 — something Hartman expected and said would be “well worth it” after he scored two goals in Minnesota’s 5-1 win over the Oilers.

Now, Wild fans and fans across the NHL are rallying behind Hartman, chipping in to pay off the debt and probably then some.

Wild fan Allie Cook discovered Hartman’s Venmo account around 11 a.m., broadcasting it on Twitter. By 5 p.m. Central, more than 400 fans had publicly deposited money into Hartman’s middle finger fund or, as many fans dubbed it, “bird fund.”
Buried way too far down for something so lulzy:
Kane’s estranged wife, Anna, put on her Instagram story a screen capture showing she donated $200 to the cause.
Also, Hartman's mom is funny:

Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

I fondly remember when Hartman was a Dallas Star for exactly one week.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Holy *poo poo*.

https://theathletic.com/3243198/2022/04 ... -senators/
Also that year, Melnyk sent a threatening email to a female employee who had not responded immediately to an email Melnyk sent her. When she finally wrote back, reminding Melnyk she was on a scheduled vacation, he responded in all caps: “YOU *fargin'* C – – T – WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? WHEN I SAY CALL YOU DO IT. WHEN I TELL YOU TO DO SOMETHING YOU DO IT. YOU ARE DONE!”

That same female employee had received a threatening email from Melnyk about a year earlier that includes the lines: “You really are a dumb *goddess* who doesn’t get it. How dare you write and question me” and “You are a no one.”

He ended that email, as he often did, with “Carpe Diem.”
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Ref gets in the way and accidentally stops a puck. He then tries to correct his mistake by kicking the puck. This was not the right move.

ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

When I was young I reffed soccer and one of the instructors in the course to become a ref said something that always stuck with me. The refs are part of the playing surface. If the ball bounces off the ref, it’s the same as if it bounced off some dirt. In fact, the refs are part of the dirt.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Math

Post by Math »

If the Stars play for .500 in their last six games, they are in the playoffs. So if they manage to do this for the next 3600 minutes, they will secure that spot.