2021 NHL Off-Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
slaps

Re: 2021 NHL Off-Season Thread

Post by slaps »

I wonder what happens when Dundon realizes that he actually has to pay out if Montreal doesn't match.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Here's a fun thread of NHL jersey designs never used.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Math

Post by Math »

Thank God some clever people had the common sense to kill most of them in the egg. The 1990s decade was really the darkest period in design history and that's why the Nordiques had to move.

The Stars franchise also had some weird prototypes just before moving (The number font of the 1993 prototype, yuck !)

SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

I'm pretty sure the North Stars used a slightly changed version of that bottom jersey briefly for a few pre-season games until they realized how much people hated it.

Instead of the numbers being weird, the name plate was pseudo-cursive writing.
Math wrote:I love incest
Math

Post by Math »

SaintAngerBH wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:32 pm I'm pretty sure the North Stars used a slightly changed version of that bottom jersey briefly for a few pre-season games until they realized how much people hated it.

Instead of the numbers being weird, the name plate was pseudo-cursive writing.
That's right, they used the same rounded font with trimming for the nameplates only, and only for preseason games. Atrocious and totally unreadable.
Math

Post by Math »

Parisé has apparently signed with the Isles early this summer, Lou still needs to "work some details around with the League" before making it official.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The offer sheet worked. I guess we'll see if the Canes get more out of this kid.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Math

Post by Math »

Even if I liked the cockiness if this move, $6.1M is way too much for a bottom-6 winger. The Canes will regret it.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Math

Post by Math »

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The chest stripe looks out of place.
slaps

Post by slaps »

The Puck Soup guys had a really good question about Kotkaniemi - it sounds like Carolina was trying to trade for him first. So what did Bergevin turn down? If Kotkaniemi at $6.1MM was worth a 1st and 3rd to Carolina, what was Kotkaniemi at like $3MM worth? A 1st and a 2nd? More?
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Troy McClure wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:37 am The chest stripe looks out of place.
Something about it makes me think of a military uniform. Like a Russian one or something. Not really a fan.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

No neck laces?
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Math

Post by Math »

Way too crowded. Too many stripes and too much information with the wordmarks, logos and patches.

And for God's sake, blending red with green should be considered as a criminal offense.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

slaps wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:57 am The Puck Soup guys had a really good question about Kotkaniemi - it sounds like Carolina was trying to trade for him first. So what did Bergevin turn down? If Kotkaniemi at $6.1MM was worth a 1st and 3rd to Carolina, what was Kotkaniemi at like $3MM worth? A 1st and a 2nd? More?
A conditional 7th.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Dallas Stars: making khaki pants cool again
slaps

Post by slaps »

Math

Post by Math »

No surprise, I'm no fan of Bergevin and the Habs especially, but he did great. Dvorak is a better, more complete player than Kotkaniemi at a cheaper price. The balance is a third round pick instead of a second but who cares, they suck in drafting anyway. Montréal remains one of the worst franchise in terms of draft and development. I'm still shocked Timmins is still in charge after all these years of failure.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Why would he have to cancel his vacation? I get he needed to call around to find a replacement via trade, but it can’t be so hard to do from anywhere.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Math wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:53 pm No surprise, I'm no fan of Bergevin and the Habs especially, but he did great. Dvorak is a better, more complete player than Kotkaniemi at a cheaper price. The balance is a third round pick instead of a second but who cares, they suck in drafting anyway. Montréal remains one of the worst franchise in terms of draft and development. I'm still shocked Timmins is still in charge after all these years of failure.
Dvorak is a better player right now. If Kotkaniemi never really develops as he should, then it works out well for Montreal. But if Kotkaniemi gets even close to the potential you expect from a 3rd overall pick, then $6.1MM is a bargain.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Yeah, Kotkaniemi just turned 21, and Dvorak is turning 26 LOL.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

And the real comedy might come if Price returns to his regular season form to see the Hans miss the playoffs. They made this move for the win now player, but they likely won’t win now.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Lol.

https://theathletic.com/2823666/2021/09 ... e-mandate/
Steve McCarthy has been promoted from minor-league Cleveland to coach the club’s defensemen. He replaces Sylvain Lefebvre, who was fired from his job due to a mandate by the NHL that all club personnel must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus.

“We had to part ways with him because he couldn’t do his job. We need a coach,” Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said. “If you’re not vaccinated, you’re not allowed within 12 feet of the players. You can’t do your job as a coach. He couldn’t be in the locker room, couldn’t be in the coaches’ room, couldn’t be on the bench, couldn’t be on the plane with us…we need a coach.”
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Joke'll be on them when the 190 million of us vaxxed fools drop dead on December 31st.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

He's 53 now? *Dang all Get out*. I remember him.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

In case you’re wondering, Lefebvre is French for “the febvre.”
~ Swinton
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

In the old text based hockey simulator, he was an amazing defenseman.
The Frugal Gourmet

BigAl wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:23 pm In case you’re wondering, Lefebvre is French for “the febvre.”
I was. Thank you.
The Frugal Gourmet

I've never heard of a text-based hockey simulator but that sounds like something that would be completely up my alley. I'd like to play Todd at that while we listen to the games on the radio.