2021 NHL Playoff Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
ScubaSteve

Re: 2021 NHL Playoff Thread

Post by ScubaSteve »

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Exactly. Hoping for something that doesn't get immediately deleted.
mookie1010
Site Admin

Post by mookie1010 »

Seems to me that the plan is not to have the games televised broadly, thus ducking criticism for this kind of horrible play.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

Tweet at them and complain.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Tweet that you're a black gay asian pacific islander military veteran with cancer and you demand that your opinion be heard because hockey is for everyone.
Math

Post by Math »

You forgot bi-inclusive trans-pansexual.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Pens are in a strange spot. I get committing to Crosby, Malkin, and Letang as a thank you for what they've done over the years. They've won you three recent Cups, so it's not like the team is desperate to win one. Ride off into the sunset with your heroes.

https://twitter.com/TheHockeyNews/statu ... 99778?s=19
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

There’s no reason for them to worry. They’ll rig their way into the first overall pick again the year before Crosby retires.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Ron Hextall is a notoriously detrimentally patient GM.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

mookie1010 wrote:Seems to me that the plan is not to have the games televised broadly, thus ducking criticism for this kind of horrible play.
This is a great strategy.

In 1989.
Math wrote:I love incest
slaps

Post by slaps »

B Kat wrote:
Knives Out wrote:It was Jake Evans’ birthday too.
He did score. ;)
FE2049E0-0B37-479B-8D0A-6ACEA0B36A58.jpeg
FE2049E0-0B37-479B-8D0A-6ACEA0B36A58.jpeg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
slaps

Post by slaps »

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

For those of you with an Athletic subscription, this is a good read for some things the teams still alive have in common that the rest of the league may want to copy.

The short summary: get good players

The longer summary: this runs down some things these teams did to help them get good players

https://theathletic.com/2633062/2021/06 ... contenders
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Teams with better players do better in the playoffs? You guys pay for this kind of insightful analysis?
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Some of it is always luck, which obviously you can't write about in an article. The Lightning were lucky that Kucherov and Point turned out awesome. Trying to claim credit for those picks like they were master strokes of genius is dumb. Sure, they decided to pick smaller skilled guys later I'm the draft. Lots of teams do that and end up with failed picks.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

I am opening a new analytics-based hockey news service called The Mathletic.

First piece: McD scored 30-something goals. Jamie Benn scored like 9. Here’s a graph that our analysts put together showing conclusively that 30-something is greater than 9. Therefore, teams should try to get players like McD instead of players like Benn.

Thanks for reading. That’ll be $10/month.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Troy McClure wrote:For those of you with an Athletic subscription, this is a good read for some things the teams still alive have in common that the rest of the league may want to copy.

The short summary: get good players

The longer summary: this runs down some things these teams did to help them get good players

https://theathletic.com/2633062/2021/06 ... contenders
Basically, if your scout thinks a guy is too short to play in the NHL, and you see that said player is 5-11, it's perfectly reasonable to fire that scout.

The article worked really hard to try and fit Winnipeg into that group (and failed), but the elite teams --Tampa, Carolina, Colorado, and Vegas-- all pretty much followed the same plan. Draft well (don't *f-bomb* up your lottery picks), pick up undrafted guys you like, and make trades for players early in their career (i.e., cheap trades for 'potential' rather than 'productive seasons in the past'). That'll give you plenty of cap space to pursue the occasional Pietrangelo or plenty of extra picks to pursue the occasional Mark Stone.
slaps

Post by slaps »

wonko80 wrote:Some of it is always luck, which obviously you can't write about in an article. The Lightning were lucky that Kucherov and Point turned out awesome. Trying to claim credit for those picks like they were master strokes of genius is dumb. Sure, they decided to pick smaller skilled guys later I'm the draft. Lots of teams do that and end up with failed picks.
I would have to search for the article, but I read one some time ago about the Lightning that also pointed out they aren't afraid to trade aggressively for positions of need. They've traded a bunch of first round picks from one position for another position at which they needed help. One of the reasons they can do that is they find NHL-quality talent late in the draft.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

How ‘bout those Montreal Canadians? It must be the Perry effect. He’s the Cinder in Cinderella. He’s an essential ingredient in a winning teams’ recipe. Or something.

So, Winnipeg sweeps Edmonton and Montreal sweeps Winnipeg, so history tells us what happens next. :)
And since the Habs play either Vegas or CO next, it could happen.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

B Kat wrote:How ‘bout those Montreal Canadians? It must be the Perry effect. He’s the Cinder in Cinderella. He’s an essential ingredient in a winning teams’ recipe. Or something.
I was initially fine with us not signing Perry, because we were up against the cap. But then we went out and got Mark Friggin Psyk for the exact same amount. So...
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Mickey Mouse Division.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

I wasn’t for re-signing Perry either. I thought he was too slow and took too many penalties, which he is and he does. But he’s intense and snarly and is a playoff warrior. He is having a blast this year, you can see it on his face.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Perry might have been nice to have with all the injury issues we had, but I don't think he would have made a difference in making the playoffs or not.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

I think you're wrong.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

He wouldn't have made the ice for any OT, so he's not helping those lost points. Maybe he scores a couple of goals that win us another game or two in regulation? Then again, he may have taken some penalties along the way that allowed PP goals that negated those.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

How many games did Mark Pysyk win us again?
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

ToddM wrote:
B Kat wrote:How ‘bout those Montreal Canadians? It must be the Perry effect. He’s the Cinder in Cinderella. He’s an essential ingredient in a winning teams’ recipe. Or something.
I was initially fine with us not signing Perry, because we were up against the cap. But then we went out and got Mark Friggin Psyk for the exact same amount. So...
Pysyk was signed as a depth D guy. With Johns out, the wanted another body for the scratch/taxi squad rotation.

Not signing Perry was supposed to give lots of chances for the young guys developed by the Stars to shine. As much as you always pull for kids playing over vets, not signing Perry let that happen. Robertson played and was awesome. He probably got PP time sooner because Perry wasn't on the roster. Of course, once you get past Robertson, the other young forwards were ... not good. Like really not good. More like terrible. Gardner, Caamano, Dellandrea, and L'Esperance were so bad.
slaps

Post by slaps »

ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Troy McClure wrote: Not signing Perry was supposed to give lots of chances for the young guys developed by the Stars to shine. As much as you always pull for kids playing over vets, not signing Perry let that happen. Robertson played and was awesome. He probably got PP time sooner because Perry wasn't on the roster. Of course, once you get past Robertson, the other young forwards were ... not good. Like really not good. More like terrible. Gardner, Caamano, Dellandrea, and L'Esperance were so bad.
True, and it's not like we were going anywhere this season anyways. I still have high hopes for Dellandrea, but those other three... maaaaaybe Caamano will amount to a third line grinder. Gardner always seemed to be on the ice for crucial goals against, despite playing just 7 minutes a game.
We'll see about Diamani and maybe even Borque next season. They're scorers, tho, so it's unlikely they or Harley will ever see significant ice time under the current regime.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

wonko80 wrote:He wouldn't have made the ice for any OT, so he's not helping those lost points. Maybe he scores a couple of goals that win us another game or two in regulation? Then again, he may have taken some penalties along the way that allowed PP goals that negated those.
See how you doubt yourself ...