2021 Stars Off-Season Thread

slaps

Re: 2021 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby slaps » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:15 pm

Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:15 pm

slaps wrote:Then the current coaching staff all needs to be cleared out.

Klingberg manages to generate more offense. It's more about his approach to the game than the coaching staff.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:17 pm

This might be Nill’s greatest trade ever in terms of value gained vs. value given away
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Knives Out wrote:Alrighty, so with Miro's new contract officially on the books, that leaves us with 5.8 in cap space now.

Dicksinon (who is the lead candidate now to be taken by Seattle) is still a contractless RFA, so no money would be saved by us in that scenario.

Seattle taking former lead candidate Khudobin would have given us an extra 3.3, but with him protected now, the only way we can add more cap space is to put Bishop back on LTIR for an extra 4.9 ...

So in theory, we'd still have a hurt starter, and roughly 10.7 to re-sign Oleksiak and add Coleman.

I personally think that we should trade Lindell LOL.

Blolz @ The Dick being traded shortly after this (also YAY!).

So ... who the *f-bomb* is our lead candidate now? LOL
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:19 pm

Knives Out wrote:
Knives Out wrote:Alrighty, so with Miro's new contract officially on the books, that leaves us with 5.8 in cap space now.

Dicksinon (who is the lead candidate now to be taken by Seattle) is still a contractless RFA, so no money would be saved by us in that scenario.

Seattle taking former lead candidate Khudobin would have given us an extra 3.3, but with him protected now, the only way we can add more cap space is to put Bishop back on LTIR for an extra 4.9 ...

So in theory, we'd still have a hurt starter, and roughly 10.7 to re-sign Oleksiak and add Coleman.

I'm guessing either Seattle signing Oleksiak as their pick or them taking one of the AHL forwards.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:20 pm

If they leave Faksa unprotected, does he go to Seattle? That would clear out $3MM of cap space for a fourth-line center.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:20 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Knives Out wrote:

I'm guessing either Seattle signing Oleksiak as their pick or them taking one of the AHL forwards.

Just to clarify, if Seattle selects Oleksiak, but then he signs with us as a UFA, that still counts as their pick yeah? LOL

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Seattle has to sign Oleksiak, I believe.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Quick overpay another Jamie so Seattle won’t want him!

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:29 pm

Are we allowed to protect UFA's? Because in that case just protect Big Rig and leave Lindell dangling LOL.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:36 pm

Great signing. $8.5 mil makes Miro the 6th highest paid d-man, and he's arguably better than all the guys above him.
It would be nice if the Stars actually let him play his strong side from now on, tho, instead of having him drag his partner up and down the ice.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:37 pm

Knives Out wrote:Are we allowed to protect UFA's? Because in that case just protect Big Rig and leave Lindell dangling LOL.

I believe so. Oleksiak is Stars' property until free agency hits.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:37 pm

ToddM wrote:Great signing. $8.5 mil makes Miro the 6th highest paid d-man, and he's arguably better than all the guys above him.
It would be nice if the Stars actually let him play his strong side from now on, tho, instead of having him drag his partner up and down the ice.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Also: this locks up Miro for his 20s, rather than our usual big-money signings, which lock in 28 year olds for the duration of their declines.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:39 pm

"Jim Nill forcing Seattle to take Sekera. Respect."

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:39 pm

slaps wrote:
ToddM wrote:Great signing. $8.5 mil makes Miro the 6th highest paid d-man, and he's arguably better than all the guys above him.

Someone should save that tweet for later.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:41 pm

Knives Out wrote:Just to clarify, if Seattle selects Oleksiak, but then he signs with us as a UFA, that still counts as their pick yeah? LOL

I believe the way it works is Seattle has a couple of days to talk to UFAs before the expansion draft. If they sign any of the UFAs, that counts as their pick from the Stars.
Last edited by Troy McClure on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:43 pm

ToddM wrote:Someone should save that tweet for later.

He's talking about what Miro is. Others praising this deal are talking about what they want Miro to become.

ToddM wrote:Also: this locks up Miro for his 20s, rather than our usual big-money signings, which lock in 28 year olds for the duration of their declines.

And this is great. He'll be 30 when this runs out. Even if he never is more than a 40 something point guy, his contract will be no big deal when the cap starts going up again.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Nah, I trust Saad and his months of in-depth hockey coverage experience.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:56 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:Someone should save that tweet for later.

He's talking about what Miro is. Others praising this deal are talking about what they want Miro to become.

Right now he's a defensive guru who puts up 40 points playing behind Faksa/Comeau while playing on his weak side.

Maybe the money involved will finally force Bowness to put Miro behind Hintz and on his strong side. But probably not. Bowness is all about evening out your weaknesses rather than exploiting your strengths.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:40 pm

The "he only plays with the FCC line" thing is DBD bullshit.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:35 pm

Miro was paired with Oleksiak, a player so uninspiring he’s already been traded twice for a mere 4th round draft pick. Whereas Klingberg was paired with Lindell, who was the highest paid, and therefore best, defenseman on the roster.
~ Swinton

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:17 pm

I’ll be honest. I don’t care that much.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:48 pm

Troy McClure wrote:The "he only plays with the FCC line" thing is DBD bullshit.

Not 100%, but far more than any other line at 5-on-5.

Put Makar behind Comeau instead of MacKinnon and see how many points he puts up.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:54 am

ToddM wrote:

Put Makar behind Comeau instead of MacKinnon and see how many points he puts up.

Miro played slightly more behind the FCC line than other lines. It wasn't anywhere close to as big of a deal as DBD would have you believe. The DBD people love their narratives, so they took a chart that shows Miro is playing routinely with every forward and exaggerated what it meant to make it seem like Miro only played with the FCC line. This is no different than them freaking out for a whole season about how Polak was holding Miro back, yet now they want Polak back because Miro playing with a better partner now hurts him or something.

Considering half of Makar's offense comes on the PP, I don't think playing him a bit less with the tip line would make a big difference to his numbers. The PP is where Miro needs to see his offense jump.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:30 am

A third round pick? Geez.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:46 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:

Miro played slightly more behind the FCC line than other lines. It wasn't anywhere close to as big of a deal as DBD would have you believe. The DBD people love their narratives, so they took a chart that shows Miro is playing routinely with every forward and exaggerated what it meant to make it seem like Miro only played with the FCC line. This is no different than them freaking out for a whole season about how Polak was holding Miro back, yet now they want Polak back because Miro playing with a better partner now hurts him or something.

Considering half of Makar's offense comes on the PP, I don't think playing him a bit less with the tip line would make a big difference to his numbers. The PP is where Miro needs to see his offense jump.

I haven't read anything about bringing Polak back, other than joke tweets.
Who you play behind is pretty important as to your point totals. Go ahead and look for Eric Karlsson or John Carlson or Makar and see if they spend 45% of their 5-on-5 backing up their checking lines. If I were a conspiracy nut, and I usually am 100%, I'd suspect Nill told Bowness to put Miro in the worst possible position to keep his salary down.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:56 pm

ToddM wrote:If I were a conspiracy nut, and I usually am 100%, I'd suspect Nill told Bowness to put Miro in the worst possible position to keep his salary down.

Yet another Nill failure.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 pm

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:24 pm

Maybe I haven't watched enough Columbus hockey, but I'd rather have Klingberg than Jones.