2021 Stars Off-Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
cdanew

Re: 2021 Stars Off-Season Thread

Post by cdanew »

The Athletic (Burnside) categorized the Stars as a "winner" on the first day of free agency with the 6th highest grade:
Dallas Stars – 7
Let’s be honest, four years is a lot for Ryan Suter, 36, but the ageless defender is one of those guys who appears not to be impacted by the passage of time and at a cap hit of $3.65 million the money is manageable. Suter was bought out of his contract in Minnesota and now he’ll slide into a deep and talented Dallas group on the back end. He’s high maintenance. That’s the reality. But this is a Stars team that never got over an early COVID-19 outbreak last season yet is just one season removed from a trip to the Stanley Cup Final. Suter makes them better and they should be a lock to be in the playoffs. As for the Braden Holtby signing, assume Jake Oettinger will get another season to hone his skills in the AHL. Ben Bishop isn’t in the team’s plans and Holtby becomes an insurance blanket against an Anton Khudobin injury and/or performance meltdown
cdanew

Post by cdanew »

And on the individual deal side of things, the analytics writer on the Athletic liked the Suter deal (for what that is worth), putting it in the category of "Best" with Dougie Hamilton, Nick Bonino and Zach Hyman:
Ryan Suter: Even putting Suter’s deal here feels wrong because that fourth year has the potential to be a disaster. Very few of his comps made it that far making it a risk, but the cap hit is modest enough to be worth it. Suter is projected to provide top pair value for one more season and though there’s a chance that’s inflated by playing with Jared Spurgeon, he’s going to a team that can insulate him just as well. It’s a really good fit.

Like Hyman, this is closer to a fair deal than an outright win, but looking at what other defensemen earned makes this look like a steal. I mean, Ryan Suter or Cody Ceci — the choice should be obvious.
cdanew

Post by cdanew »

But the Luke Glendening deal wasn't an analytics favorite:
Luke Glendening: Hockey Men love this man more than their own children it seems, but every time he’s out there it’s nothing but pain for the Red Wings. The minutes he plays are tough, but they are also disastrous. Over the last three seasons, he has had a 41 percent expected and actual goals rate. Why pay anything above league minimum for that? If every dollar counts in a flat cap world, there shouldn’t be any premium on Glendening.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

I still can't understand the Glenn Danzig signing. It's not like he has a history of being a winner, right? Like I'd get the "veteran presence" thing if they had actually won something at some point.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Some Red Wings fans love him because he tries really hard to do the dirty work. The numbers people say he may try hard at the dirty work but he doesn't appear to be good at it. I think it was Dom Leschynynynican'tspellit who noted Danzig was asked to play a ton of minutes against the other team's best players every night, and that was a mistake. Maybe being on a better team will take him away from getting beaten up by the other team's top line over and over.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
slaps

Post by slaps »

This *fargin'* team. And the rest of the Stars fandom thinks Nill won the off-season by “loading up.”
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Duder is literally going to be our 4th line centre, we have bigger things to worry about LOL.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
slaps

Post by slaps »

I think the bigger thing is that he’s basically all the Stars have done for the forward group despite some glaring needs.

Also:

https://twitter.com/mdefranks/status/14 ... 31814?s=21
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

We also signed Michael Raffl to a 1-year deal ...
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I think this season is going to surprise a lot of people… IF Seguin, Radulov, and Hintz look anything like their pre-surgery selves. For the first time in a while we’ll have enough scorers for two full scoring lines.
~ Swinton
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

slaps wrote:I think the bigger thing is that he’s basically all the Stars have done for the forward group despite some glaring needs.
LOL remember last off-season where the only move we made was adding Mark Pysyk? I'm surprised we didn't make the Final again ;)
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Knives Out wrote:We also signed Michael Raffl to a 1-year deal ...
We won the Raffl lottery.
~ Swinton
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

BigAl wrote:I think this season is going to surprise a lot of people… IF Seguin, Radulov, and Hintz look anything like their pre-surgery selves. For the first time in a while we’ll have enough scorers for two full scoring lines.
Yeah, it's our G that I'm most concerned about right now. And our coaching LOL.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Knives Out wrote:
BigAl wrote:I think this season is going to surprise a lot of people… IF Seguin, Radulov, and Hintz look anything like their pre-surgery selves. For the first time in a while we’ll have enough scorers for two full scoring lines.
Yeah, it's our G that I'm most concerned about right now. And our coaching LOL.
The most concerning thing about signing all these scrubs is that maybe it means our top guys aren’t healed. Like when we had that carousel of defensemen two years back.
~ Swinton
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Knives Out wrote:Duder is literally going to be our 4th line centre, we have bigger things to worry about LOL.
The thing is the bigger things to worry about all have NMCs, so what was left to worry about was the small amount of remaining cap space Nill had available to fill out the back third of the roster.

The biggest factor this season is the same as last season: how many of these old guys are going to be healthy enough to make it through the season? Nill's big additions were a 37 year old d-man, a 32 year old forward, and a 31 year old goalie.

When the season ends, only two of the every day forwards are going to still be under 25. Half of the every day forwards will be 30+.
Seven guys on the roster are 35+. The only team that's older is the Capitals because they're still hanging onto most of the guys who won them a Cup a few seasons ago (every defenseman they have is 30+ if you can believe it).
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Al is right. If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle!
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

If you assume everyone is healthy, then you enter into the fun world of spilling over the top two lines by having to decide who of Benn or Gurianov goes down to the third or fourth lines.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Troy McClure wrote:
If you assume everyone is healthy, then you enter into the fun world of spilling over the top two lines by having to decide who of Benn or Gurianov goes down to the third or fourth lines.
Both ...
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

I'm expecting a maintenance season.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The roster got pretty full pretty quick. I know DeFranks is just putting names out there, but I bet Faksa would break into tears of joy if he saw a lineup where he finally was away from both Comeau and Cogliano.

https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/14 ... 82820?s=20
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

With all your forward cap dollars already allocated, not too much room for anything but a few spares. Not to mention good players are usually not available. Draft them or hope for the best with the spares.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

B Kat wrote:With all your forward cap dollars already allocated, not too much room for anything but a few spares. Not to mention good players are usually not available. Draft them or hope for the best with the spares.
This probably also tells us what Nill thinks of the young forwards who played last season and those in the AHL that Nill felt the need to go sign some warm bodies in free agency instead of going back to the likes of Gardner, Caamano, L'Esperance, Kero, etc. A number of young guys got the kinds of opportunities to play only otherwise available if Todd was the coach/GM, and those young guys were awful.
Last edited by Troy McClure on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

I like our Top 9, and don't mind our Top 4, but our current G sitch ...
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

Khudobin is movable, but we might be careful of what we wish for.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

The concensus on HFboards from non-Stars fans is that the Hakanpää signing is a good one, and that he took a discount to play for us.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Troy McClure wrote:The roster got pretty full pretty quick. I know DeFranks is just putting names out there, but I bet Faksa would break into tears of joy if he saw a lineup where he finally was away from both Comeau and Cogliano.

https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/14 ... 82820?s=20
I thought Benn wanted to play center again?

Also, Faksa is not a good setup man for Gurianov.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

2021 CHAMPIONS
*REGULAR OFFSEASON*
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Jason

Post by Jason »

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1420767768551567361
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

Who?
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

JANI HAKANPÄÄ