05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 16500
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by B Kat »

Blake Comeau has 37 points in 50 games this season. His main problem this season is he hasn’t been as good defensively. -13. But going against top line players, even that isn’t too horrible. Tufte amounting to a Blake Comeau wouldn’t be a total bust.
User avatar
Math
Posts: 2113
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Math »

B Kat wrote:Blake Comeau has 37 points in 50 games this season. His main problem this season is he hasn’t been as good defensively. -13. But going against top line players, even that isn’t too horrible. Tufte amounting to a Blake Comeau wouldn’t be a total bust.
It's his penalty minutes ;-) Otherwise it's the Blake Comeau v2015.16
User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 20005
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ToddM »

Yeah, Blake's got 14 points this season. And that's with Miro wasting an entire season holding up the FCC line so their stats don't look like absolute garbage.
User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 16500
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by B Kat »

Math wrote:
B Kat wrote:Blake Comeau has 37 points in 50 games this season. His main problem this season is he hasn’t been as good defensively. -13. But going against top line players, even that isn’t too horrible. Tufte amounting to a Blake Comeau wouldn’t be a total bust.
It's his penalty minutes ;-) Otherwise it's the Blake Comeau v2015.16
True, his penalty minutes are doubly bad since he's one of the best killers on the team.

Point is, Comeau does have some offense to his game. It's only been these later years of his career that have put him in a more defensive role. (CO and Dallas)

@Todd - Miro didn't have a great season. Covid effects or what, idk? But it isn't playing with the best defensive line on the team holding him back.
User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 43878
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ScubaSteve »

Well that settles it. Protect Comeau, let Seattle take Miro.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 16500
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by B Kat »

Oh goodness, I'll have to slit my wrists if I've helped to spur a Steven anti Miro campaign.
User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 54267
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Troy McClure »

B Kat wrote:Oh goodness, I'll have to slit my wrists if I've helped to spur a Steven anti Miro campaign.
You're good. I think I've been driving the "maybe he's not the next Lidstrom" bandwagon since February.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 21762
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: MTL-TO-TX
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Knives Out »

oh *f-bomb* YOU
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 54267
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Troy McClure »

Knives Out wrote:oh *f-bomb* YOU
Sorry. It's my fault for seeing what Stars fans say elsewhere. If someone talks about the best young d-men and has anyone higher than Miro, it's meltdown city. Just watch. When Miro gets all of two 4th place Norris votes this year, the facebook Stars crowd is going to lose their *poo poo* because they've been conditioned to believe he's the best there is.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 20005
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ToddM »

B Kat wrote:@Todd - Miro didn't have a great season. Covid effects or what, idk? But it isn't playing with the best defensive line on the team holding him back.
He was tasked by Bowness to be the team's shutdown d-man, which he did really well --remember, the FCC line broke even on goals despite seeing the best players every night. I'd put a lot of that squarely on Miro backing them up and saving their asses shift by shift.

Frankly, tho, what a *fargin'* waste of talent. You have a guy like Miro, you let him do Miro stuff. But I guess we'll have to wait until he's 33 or whatever when he finally gets a real coach.
User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 43878
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ScubaSteve »

I'm very pro-Miro. So much so that I want him to get out of here so he can find the success that he's very clearly capable of. It's pretty unlikely that he finds team success here in the near term with this team weighed down by the Benn and Seguin albatross contracts. Really he should hold out this summer and demand a trade, but Euros don't do that. Best you can hope for is a two year bridge deal and he can bounce out as a UFA after that. I would argue that his performance this year has more to do with the fact that this thing was obviously a lost cause pretty early on. Why bust your ass to rearrange deck chairs on the titanic? You can see it in his body language. He easily wins puck battles, looks up, and his options are to pass to Comeau or Dickinson or try to go himself and get his ass kicked in the process. I would shrug and dump the puck in and go change every time, too.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 54267
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Troy McClure »

ToddM wrote:
B Kat wrote:@Todd - Miro didn't have a great season. Covid effects or what, idk? But it isn't playing with the best defensive line on the team holding him back.
He was tasked by Bowness to be the team's shutdown d-man, which he did really well --remember, the FCC line broke even on goals despite seeing the best players every night. I'd put a lot of that squarely on Miro backing them up and saving their asses shift by shift.

Frankly, tho, what a *fargin'* waste of talent. You have a guy like Miro, you let him do Miro stuff. But I guess we'll have to wait until he's 33 or whatever when he finally gets a real coach.
I'd also note Bowness played Heiskanen over a minute more per game this season. He also decreased Miro's PK time by half a minute a game and increased Miro's PP time by half a minute per game this season. Miro saw an increase in PP points because of it, but he didn't exactly set the PP on fire with Klingberg still driving more PP offense.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 21762
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: MTL-TO-TX
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Knives Out »

Image
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 54267
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Troy McClure »

ScubaSteve wrote:I'm very pro-Miro. So much so that I want him to get out of here so he can find the success that he's very clearly capable of. It's pretty unlikely that he finds team success here in the near term with this team weighed down by the Benn and Seguin albatross contracts. Really he should hold out this summer and demand a trade, but Euros don't do that. Best you can hope for is a two year bridge deal and he can bounce out as a UFA after that. I would argue that his performance this year has more to do with the fact that this thing was obviously a lost cause pretty early on. Why bust your ass to rearrange deck chairs on the titanic? You can see it in his body language. He easily wins puck battles, looks up, and his options are to pass to Comeau or Dickinson or try to go himself and get his ass kicked in the process. I would shrug and dump the puck in and go change every time, too.
I also think he's just not greedy enough with the puck to go want to create magic on his own. His default setting seems to be play it safe. It has been his whole time in the NHL. It's what made him so impressive as a rookie. He came in looking like a vet because he plays great in his own end and never does anything stupid with the puck on his stick. His hockey personality seems to be to win his puck battle, get the puck out of danger, and move it on to others, even on the PP. Other than three weeks in the bubble where he was feeling it, he plays a safer style. That style helps the team a whole lot by keeping the puck out of your own net, but it also doesn't pile up points. I think he has the skill set to do it, but I don't think that's who he is because a d-man getting the puck to scoring areas requires taking chances he seems to prefer not to take.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
User avatar
slaps
Posts: 36338
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by slaps »

Troy McClure wrote:
Knives Out wrote:oh *f-bomb* YOU
Sorry. It's my fault for seeing what Stars fans say elsewhere. If someone talks about the best young d-men and has anyone higher than Miro, it's meltdown city. Just watch. When Miro gets all of two 4th place Norris votes this year, the facebook Stars crowd is going to lose their *poo poo* because they've been conditioned to believe he's the best there is.
Oh yeah. People on Reddit lost their *poo poo* when I suggested that Makar might have been a better choice.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 13011
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by SaintAngerBH »

ScubaSteve wrote:I'm very pro-Miro. So much so that I want him to get out of here so he can find the success that he's very clearly capable of. It's pretty unlikely that he finds team success here in the near term with this team weighed down by the Benn and Seguin albatross contracts. Really he should hold out this summer and demand a trade, but Euros don't do that. Best you can hope for is a two year bridge deal and he can bounce out as a UFA after that. I would argue that his performance this year has more to do with the fact that this thing was obviously a lost cause pretty early on. Why bust your ass to rearrange deck chairs on the titanic? You can see it in his body language. He easily wins puck battles, looks up, and his options are to pass to Comeau or Dickinson or try to go himself and get his ass kicked in the process. I would shrug and dump the puck in and go change every time, too.
I agree with you. Heiskanen has Lidstrom and Orr potential that will be obliterated by the black hole that is the Dallas Stars.

I want to see him reach it, even if it happens in a different city.
Math wrote:I love incest
User avatar
BigAl
Posts: 5979
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by BigAl »

I think he’ll be fine next year. Lidstrom had some unremarkable years too.
~ Swinton
User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 21762
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: MTL-TO-TX
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Knives Out »

slaps wrote:Oh yeah. People on Reddit lost their *poo poo* when I suggested that Makar might have been a better choice.
For the record, the general consensus on the Avs HFboard prior to the 2017 draft was that they were really hoping that Heiskanen would fall to them at number four. That is a much better population sample than Reddit faggots LOL.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 54267
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Troy McClure »

Knives Out wrote:
slaps wrote:Oh yeah. People on Reddit lost their *poo poo* when I suggested that Makar might have been a better choice.
For the record, the general consensus on the Avs HFboard prior to the 2017 draft was that they were really hoping that Heiskanen would fall to them at number four. That is a much better population sample than Reddit faggots LOL.
Now go ask those same Avs fans if they are happy about how things shook out.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 21762
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: MTL-TO-TX
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by Knives Out »

Troy McClure wrote:
Knives Out wrote:
slaps wrote:Oh yeah. People on Reddit lost their *poo poo* when I suggested that Makar might have been a better choice.
For the record, the general consensus on the Avs HFboard prior to the 2017 draft was that they were really hoping that Heiskanen would fall to them at number four. That is a much better population sample than Reddit faggots LOL.
Now go ask those same Avs fans if they are happy about how things shook out.
I don't want to talk to them. Their hypocrisy is already on record LOL.
ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 43878
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ScubaSteve »

BigAl wrote:I think he’ll be fine next year. Lidstrom had some unremarkable years too.
After a couple quiet seasons to start his career, I count exactly two sub-40 point full length seasons.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 20005
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ToddM »

Now imagine Miro playing the majority of his 5-ion-5 and PP minutes behind MacKinnon/Rantanen instead of Comeau/Cogs (who would be backed up by Makar, naturally, when Makar turns 24 and is finally given a chance to become our 6th d-man).
User avatar
BigAl
Posts: 5979
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by BigAl »

No. I won’t imagine it.
~ Swinton
User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 43878
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ScubaSteve »

We should probably trade Miro to the Penguins for a year and let them triple his salary and then send him back to us the exact same player.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 20005
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 05/09 @Hawks (6PM CT) - The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death

Post by ToddM »

BigAl wrote:No. I won’t imagine it.
IMAGINE IT
Post Reply