2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Knives Out

Re: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Post by Knives Out »

ScubaSteve wrote:I would rather lose 2-0 than win 8-7.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

Ouch. That's awful.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Such different reactions. Mine was:

"LOL. That rules."
Math

Post by Math »

Now I know where bobbleheads come from.
Jason

Post by Jason »

https://twitter.com/jzulgad/status/1391062375390928903 https://twitter.com/jzulgad/status/1390867538179878914
Parise hadn’t scored a point in nine consecutive games before being scratched, although he had goals in three consecutive games and four of five games before that drought. There is little doubt Parise would like to get out of Minnesota as much as Guerin would like to find him a new home. The Wild came close to moving Parise to the New York Islanders at the 2020 trade deadline — Parise waived his no-move clause — but the agreement fell through.

If nothing else, Guerin would want Parise to waive his no-move clause again, this time so he can be exposed in the Seattle expansion draft this summer and the Wild can protect a player they will otherwise have to expose.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Why did he even go there in the first place? I guess the money and his dad's legacy?

It's so funny that Minnesota, the hockey state, has never had a good NHL team. Even the two North Star teams that made the finals were Cinderella teams.
Math wrote:I love incest
Jason

Post by Jason »

The 12 year $98 million deal by awful GM Chuck Fletcher is the main reason he signed. Parise should have stayed with the Devils.
Parise waived his NTC to go to the Islanders for Andrew Ladd and the Islanders 1st rounder, but the trade fell through due to a Islander center getting injured the day or two before the trade deadline, so the Islanders traded the 1st rounder that would've went to the Wild in the Ladd/Parise deal, for J.P Pageau at last year's trade deadline.

The only team who'd take him is probably the Islanders, unless another team has an equally as bad contract. That's only because of Lou Lamoriello being with the Islanders.

Suter is a much better player, but even then they're forced to protect him at the age of 35/36 unless he waives his NMC, so they will lose Brodin or Dumba.

The Wild are in the right direction to become an actual contender, but they're still lacking centers. Then 2020''s 1st rounder a center Marco Rossi
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1387385549023956996
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

SaintAngerBH wrote:Why did he even go there in the first place? I guess the money and his dad's legacy?

It's so funny that Minnesota, the hockey state, has never had a good NHL team. Even the two North Star teams that made the finals were Cinderella teams.
Parise took the highest offer, which I get. He also did so to end up on a team making a big investment in he and Suter to win, but they never could draft any guys around them. The team finally found some good younger players, but it's at a time when he and Suter aren't helping much while still costing a ton.

Even if the league hadn't fought to have the CBA remove those mega contracts, I wonder if they would have died off on their own. Most of those contracts came back to bite the teams who signed them. Then again, the GMs who sign those deals never have to live with the consequences because the GM is fired long before they run out.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

Even the 7 and 8 year deals that are still getting signed are generally going to not work out well for the teams. We of course understand the local team's issue with two of those contracts, but most other teams have made the same sort of mistakes. Duchene is the prime example to me of a player that should never have been offered that long of a contract but teams were "forced" to do so by their own stupidity.
Jason

Post by Jason »

https://twitter.com/JShannonhl/status/1391192142786273280
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

He was also in that weird time where the salary cap was still kinda new but only a handful of teams had really fucked themselves on the cap. So mid tier teams would be able to pay for top end UFAs and the powerhouse teams losing those players wouldn’t be able to match. So the league could say “SEE NJ CAN’T KEEP PARISE AND MIN IS BETTER NOW SO PARITY LOL AND THE CBA WE WASTED A WHOLE SEASON GETTING IN 05 IS TOTALLY A GOOD BUSINESS MODEL.”
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Jason wrote:https://twitter.com/JShannonhl/status/1391192142786273280
:nice

Except for the Oshie part.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Oshie’s dad is also day to day
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

ScubaSteve wrote:Oshie’s dad is also day to day dead-to-dead
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Tortorella not returning to CBJ confirmed.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Knives Out wrote:Tortorella not returning to CBJ confirmed.
I like how he got out in front of it. You can’t fire me. I quit.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

And with a 4-point night so far, McDavid hits 100 in his 53rd game of the season.

*Dang all Get out*.

:shock:
slaps

Post by slaps »

wonko80 wrote:Even the 7 and 8 year deals that are still getting signed are generally going to not work out well for the teams. We of course understand the local team's issue with two of those contracts, but most other teams have made the same sort of mistakes. Duchene is the prime example to me of a player that should never have been offered that long of a contract but teams were "forced" to do so by their own stupidity.
The problem is that most NHL GM’s are all 200 Hockey Men about Grit and Leadership and they are signing guys at 28 or 30 to these deals based on past performance. They aren’t going to keep that pace into their 30’s.

Signing a guy who is at least a legit top-6 guy to a long-term at like 22 or 23 is a great play. Salaries tend to go up, not down. Remember everyone mocking the Draisaitl deal? Now that deal is one of the best bargains in the NHL.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Knives Out wrote:And with a 4-point night so far, McDavid hits 100 in his 53rd game of the season.

*Dang all Get out*.

Now I’d be lying if I said I’ve seen a single one of his points this year, but damn near 2 PPG playing against non-Lehtonen goalies is impressive. Well done.
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

ScubaSteve wrote:
Knives Out wrote:And with a 4-point night so far, McDavid hits 100 in his 53rd game of the season.

*Dang all Get out*.

Now I’d be lying if I said I’ve seen a single one of his points this year, but damn near 2 PPG playing against non-Lehtonen goalies is impressive. Well done.
With Davey Tippet for a coach too. :)
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

^Is that a Pro or Anti Tippett post? LOL
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Knives Out wrote:Tortorella not returning to CBJ confirmed.
Tocchet out in Phoenix next.
Math

Post by Math »

*Dang ol'*.
McConnor is playing on another planet but let's be bitchy on this one: playing all your games in the weakest divison against opponents with the most terrible defense and/or goaltending in the League helps a lot.
SaintAngerBH wrote:Why did he even go there in the first place? I guess the money and his dad's legacy?

Money of course, and the opportunity to get a good profitable retirement program back at home. The duo-pack contract was insane and Leipold was stupid to think that you could actually build a contender team just around Parisé and Suter.

Ironically, The North Stars (especially in the last years) suffered a lot of internal college hockey competition where the Gophers and the Fighting Saints were really good. Basically, why paying to watch the North Stars lose instead of cheering for our winning local homers for free? There are many reasons why the North Stars failed but this one of the main reasons why attendance was so poor.

For the Wilson hit, I'd immediately nominate Aubé-Kubel for the Lady-Bing.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Even the high school games had better attendance than North Star games if I remember correctly.

This is why I don't have so much sympathy for their fans regarding losing the Stars to us.
Math

Post by Math »

Yeah, people were ecstatic on college hockey and also to the new Timberwolves expansion. Meanwhile, The Met Center sucked in both aspects of location (outside MLSP downtown) and lack of corporation boxes. It was totally outdated and the franchise needed a new arena in a city that wouldn't fund another facility after building the Target Center, which was understandable. That being said, it's the story of the snake biting its own tail: people were not showing up but on the other hand the Gunds didn't do *poo poo* to put a decent product on the ice and then it was too late: when you only have like 8k people the first home game following the SC final, it helps taking the decision to move.

Nobody saw any logic in this move back at the time, but retrospectively it did make sense. Ironically, the first bricks that served to build the championship team in 1999 were assembled in Minny when Gainey took over the team and put his philosophy in place, along with drafting Modano, Hatcher and Lehtinen.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

I thought the logic was pretty clear. Minneapolis refused to give them a better arena for free, so the North Stars left. When it came time for an expansion team, the league was able to get Saint Paul to agree to give the new expansion team a free new arena.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Troy McClure wrote:I thought the logic was pretty clear. Minneapolis refused to give them a better arena for free, so the North Stars left. When it came time for an expansion team, the league was able to get Saint Paul to agree to give the new expansion team a free new arena.
I actually thought it was because Norm Green cheated on his wife or something to that effect so he tried to skip town to live it down.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Other than Pittsburgh, whose arena was literally falling apart brick by brick, has any non-owner ever "needed" a new arena?
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

ToddM wrote:Other than Pittsburgh, whose arena was literally falling apart brick by brick, has any non-owner ever "needed" a new arena?
Sure. Bigger cities face competition for events, so if the only arena in the City of Dallas was still Reunion, you'd see a bunch more concerts and events landing in other venues across town than the they get now with the AAC.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

Jason wrote:https://twitter.com/BuffaloVogl/status/1391786261468356611 https://twitter.com/BuffaloVogl/status/1391792883653652482