CBA / Other Hockey Business Stuff

Jason
Posts: 11363
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Jason » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:46 pm


https://theathletic.com/2339945/2021/01 ... twork-nhl/

“It’s all good for the NHL,” Patrick Crakes, a former Fox Sports executive who now runs Crakes Media Consulting said. “There is no bad here for the NHL.”

According to Crakes, it’s a two-fold development of positivity for the NHL. For starters, if NHL games are moving from NBCSN to USA, the league is moving into more homes and gaining more viewership.

Crakes said it’s possible that NBC could use the NHL to put exclusive games within it’s Peacock streaming platform, which NBC has been working to bolster, but the NHL likely wouldn’t allow that to happen without at least keeping a similar number of games broadcast on USA or NBC, if not more.

And even if NBC is looking for fewer NHL games, which is possible, it opens the league to more easily pick up a second national TV partner.

“The NHL can now make more money with another high-quality partner in addition to NBC at the end of this deal,” Crakes said. “If that’s the case, where is the bad?”

This could set up a situation where the NHL has a national partnership with NBC and either ESPN or Fox, which both have been reportedly interested in NHL rights once NBC’s deal comes to a close.

Jason
Posts: 11363
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Jason » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:25 pm

NHL may turn to new platforms for big TV money

The Stanley Cup Final seemed destined to continue on network TV (NBC, Fox or ABC), but the NHL will have to decide if the price is right to help grow ESPN+ or Peacock. That is likely where the league will find the most money.

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 13001
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 am

Peacock is just NBC anyway. Who cares whether it's called NBCSN or Peacock?!?
Math wrote:I love incest

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 53909
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:21 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:Peacock is just NBC anyway. Who cares whether it's called NBCSN or Peacock?!?

It's more than rebranding. Peacock will be their new paid streaming service. NBCSN will disappear off of TV packages.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 43652
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:25 am

Yeah, it's just like NBCSN except now you can pay more for it.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 36192
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby slaps » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:20 pm

Plus it allows Comcast to inflate their subscriber numbers to Peacock.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 13001
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:Peacock is just NBC anyway. Who cares whether it's called NBCSN or Peacock?!?

It's more than rebranding. Peacock will be their new paid streaming service. NBCSN will disappear off of TV packages.

It's where the world is going, though. I'm surprised anyone has cable anymore. I haven't had it in 8 years.
Math wrote:I love incest

Jason
Posts: 11363
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Jason » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:05 am

Or some places in the third world internet of the United States can't do streaming services. So they have options of satellite dish or cable.

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 5736
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby cdanew » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:00 am

Jason wrote:Or some places in the third world internet of the United States can't do streaming services. So they have options of satellite dish or cable.

Yeah, I think a lot of folks might be surprised at the lack of quality broadband access to large portions of the US population.

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 13001
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:37 pm

cdanew wrote:
Jason wrote:Or some places in the third world internet of the United States can't do streaming services. So they have options of satellite dish or cable.

Yeah, I think a lot of folks might be surprised at the lack of quality broadband access to large portions of the US population.

It's a fair point. Satellite in the rural areas is akin to dial up.
Math wrote:I love incest

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 36192
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby slaps » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:12 am

Yeah, but it’s fine to limit people to one or two telecom choices.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Jason
Posts: 11363
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Jason » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:41 pm


User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 53909
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:46 pm

If multiple networks have the rights, you have to think this will make broadcasts better as the networks watch each other and also deal with writers comparing what they do.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 43652
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Yeah that or they’ll do the easy thing and take a look in the garbage bin by the street and find Milbury and Roenick in there and just hire them at a discount.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 13001
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:35 pm

I like Roenick. Sure, he did something really terrible, but as far as his analysis, I enjoyed hearing him talk and hold him in a higher respect than 99% of hockey players simply because he doesn't sound like a robot in every interview rehashing the same canned platitudes that most hockey players like Benn use. I enjoy Roenick much more than someone like Keith Jones, personally.

I appreciate Roenick, Hull, and Avery for having actual personalities.

Milbury can pound sand, however.
Math wrote:I love incest

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 36192
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby slaps » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:42 pm

Roenick sucks too. There are plenty of other people with personality. Find them.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 53909
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:07 pm

I personally get nothing out of the older former players who do nothing but use their airtime to call modern players soft and mourn the loss of hitting and fighting. I don’t get what NBC was doing the past ten years when every intermission was nothing but dinosaurs talking about how much they hate what the game has become. Maybe a partial reason ratings are down is because we have these personalities shitting on the product.

I have the same problem with a lot of older NFL and NBA broadcasters who still talk about their sports like it is 1995. These sports have evolved, but too many broadcasters haven’t. Any NFL broadcaster who uses the phrase “establish the run” should be fired on the spot.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 13001
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:14 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I personally get nothing out of the older former players who do nothing but use their airtime to call modern players soft and mourn the loss of hitting and fighting. I don’t get what NBC was doing the past ten years when every intermission was nothing but dinosaurs talking about how much they hate what the game has become. Maybe a partial reason ratings are down is because we have these personalities shitting on the product.

I have the same problem with a lot of older NFL and NBA broadcasters who still talk about their sports like it is 1995. These sports have evolved, but too many broadcasters haven’t. Any NFL broadcaster who uses the phrase “establish the run” should be fired on the spot.

I find myself far less excited about Stars hockey than I was 20 years ago. I can't really tell if it's because I'm no longer 15 and have just gotten older and less excitable or if it's because I don't like the modern game as much.

The modern game feels sanitized and I think parity can actually go too far. But, I don't miss the clutching and grabbing either so I don't know....
Math wrote:I love incest

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 53909
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:18 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:I personally get nothing out of the older former players who do nothing but use their airtime to call modern players soft and mourn the loss of hitting and fighting. I don’t get what NBC was doing the past ten years when every intermission was nothing but dinosaurs talking about how much they hate what the game has become. Maybe a partial reason ratings are down is because we have these personalities shitting on the product.

I have the same problem with a lot of older NFL and NBA broadcasters who still talk about their sports like it is 1995. These sports have evolved, but too many broadcasters haven’t. Any NFL broadcaster who uses the phrase “establish the run” should be fired on the spot.


I find myself far less excited about Stars hockey than I was 20 years ago. I can't really tell if it's because I'm no longer 15 and have just gotten older and less excitable or if it's because I don't like the modern game as much.

The modern game feels sanitized and I think parity can actually go too far. But, I don't miss the clutching and grabbing either so I don't know....

I also chalk a lot of that up to this team not being fun to watch more often than not. Apart from those first three seasons of Ruff with Ben and Seguin going nuts, this team has spent the past 20 years purposely being boring. I tune into some other teams with some wild ass offense and wish we had that.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 43652
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:35 pm

I don't watch enough non-Stars hockey anymore to really say for sure, but my suspicion is that quality of play is down across the entire league. More NHL players are out for longer periods of time due to these protocols, so you're seeing a much higher percentage of replacement-level players. And beyond that, these players are creatures of habit. When you're throwing protocols, distancing, testing, quarantining, bubbles, more difficult travel, and a constantly changing schedule at these guys, performance is going to suffer. Add in a further dilution of the talent pool next year with Seattle coming online, and I think it's safe to say that the best the NHL has to offer has come and gone.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
SaintAngerBH
Posts: 13001
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:I personally get nothing out of the older former players who do nothing but use their airtime to call modern players soft and mourn the loss of hitting and fighting. I don’t get what NBC was doing the past ten years when every intermission was nothing but dinosaurs talking about how much they hate what the game has become. Maybe a partial reason ratings are down is because we have these personalities shitting on the product.

I have the same problem with a lot of older NFL and NBA broadcasters who still talk about their sports like it is 1995. These sports have evolved, but too many broadcasters haven’t. Any NFL broadcaster who uses the phrase “establish the run” should be fired on the spot.

I find myself far less excited about Stars hockey than I was 20 years ago. I can't really tell if it's because I'm no longer 15 and have just gotten older and less excitable or if it's because I don't like the modern game as much.

The modern game feels sanitized and I think parity can actually go too far. But, I don't miss the clutching and grabbing either so I don't know....

I also chalk a lot of that up to this team not being fun to watch more often than not. Apart from those first three seasons of Ruff with Ben and Seguin going nuts, this team has spent the past 20 years purposely being boring. I tune into some other teams with some wild ass offense and wish we had that.

True. The Hitch years were "exciting" because of the end results.
Math wrote:I love incest

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 16462
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby B Kat » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:04 pm

I think today’s hockey is great. A lot more young awesome players. Faster, better players. Better goaltending. This season is a cluster, but I’ve been enjoying the Canadian division games.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 36192
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby slaps » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 pm

B Kat wrote:I think today’s hockey is great. A lot more young awesome players. Faster, better players. Better goaltending. This season is a cluster, but I’ve been enjoying the Canadian division games.

Hockey overall is great. But Stars hockey is doing everything possible to avoid all of the things that make hockey today great.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 36192
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby slaps » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:44 pm

Troy McClure wrote:I personally get nothing out of the older former players who do nothing but use their airtime to call modern players soft and mourn the loss of hitting and fighting. I don’t get what NBC was doing the past ten years when every intermission was nothing but dinosaurs talking about how much they hate what the game has become. Maybe a partial reason ratings are down is because we have these personalities shitting on the product.

I have the same problem with a lot of older NFL and NBA broadcasters who still talk about their sports like it is 1995. These sports have evolved, but too many broadcasters haven’t. Any NFL broadcaster who uses the phrase “establish the run” should be fired on the spot.

That’s a common theme on Puck Soup - can we get TV guys who look like they actually like hockey and the product they are selling?
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

Jason
Posts: 11363
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Jason » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:02 pm


User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 53909
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:47 pm

If multiple networks are holding NHL rights, how will they divide the four teams they like to show on national broadcasts?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 53909
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 pm

ESPN+ looks like it will be what ESPN2 was back in the 90s as the place to turn to see lots of NHL games.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 17810
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby wonko80 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:35 pm

So does that mean we can be done with Fox Sports Southwest?

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 53909
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:36 pm

wonko80 wrote:So does that mean we can be done with Fox Sports Southwest?

Local blackouts will probably still apply.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason
Posts: 11363
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Postby Jason » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm


















Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests