CBA / Other Hockey Business Stuff

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
Troy McClure

Re: CBA / Other hockey business stuff

Post by Troy McClure »

Turco was funny wearing a mic as a playing during an All Star game. Otherwise, he wasn't very good on TV. The Stars tried him as an intermission host, and it didn't work. They then tried to send him walking around the AAC to do man on the street bits, and they never worked because he's not a comedian. I agree he's personable and good in interviews, but he doesn't have enough of it to carry TV segments.

The problem with using former players to stock broadcasts is they aren't trained media people. NFL broadcasts try the same thing, but the difference there is those networks churn through guys every year trying to figure out who gets how to do TV. If they don't have it, they'll be gone as soon as their contract is up. With NBC's hockey coverage, it was more like anyone they hired had the job for life no matter how good or bad they were.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

ScubaSteve wrote:How about no analysts? I think we’ve all been watching hockey long enough at this point that we don’t need thoughts from some spare former players who are trying to stay relevant.
This.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Need people taking to fill time during pregame, intermissions, and postgame.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
The Frugal Gourmet

Troy McClure wrote:Need people taking to fill time during pregame, intermissions, and postgame.
Do you though? Run more AT&T commercials.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

I think commentary can add a lot: think the EPL, whose announcers are often hilarious and informative (including some former players).

But American sports tend to go with boring over lively almost every time.
The Frugal Gourmet

All gaps in hockey games should be filled with amazing hit and knock out highlights. It's pretty obvious actually.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

ToddM wrote:I think commentary can add a lot: think the EPL, whose announcers are often hilarious and informative (including some former players).

But American sports tend to go with boring over lively almost every time.
The EPL broadcasts aren't as hardwired to require play by play, and that makes them more interesting because the announcers feel more free to have a conversation about the game. American TV broadcasts are still stuck in the radio age where someone has to be describing what you are watching as though you're too stupid to follow along.
slaps

Post by slaps »

ScubaSteve wrote:How about no analysts? I think we’ve all been watching hockey long enough at this point that we don’t need thoughts from some spare former players who are trying to stay relevant.
Analysts aren't there for long-time hockey fans.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

slaps wrote:
Analysts aren't there for long-time hockey fans.
True. New viewers need to be informed all the reasons why a team may be tired and thus playing like *poo poo*.
The Frugal Gourmet

I still occasionally listen to games on the radio, but there's no need to have it on the tv broadcast.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

I listen to all the games on the radio (thanks Sinclair!), so I like to know the play-by-play.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Sinclair RSNs Face 'Tumultuous’ Period, Analyst Says
According to Cahall, Bloomberg said that Diamond is in talks with creditors and outside investors on a number of issues, and one proposal by its unsecured creditors would have them pumping at least $500 million of new cash into the company and exchanging their bonds for new debt with tighter covenants. Other secured lenders have proposed a $500 million term loan which Sinclair could use to exchange existing unsecured debt.

If that comes to be, Cahall wrote that Sinclair’s $1.7 billion in unsecured debt (out of about $8.1 billion in total obligations) would become secured. That gives debtholders a little more security, especially in the event of a liquidation. Diamond’s liquidity is an issue -- Cahall estimated that it would run out of cash in 18 months if nothing is done -- and in the early stages of the negotiations six months ago, bankruptcy was an option that was being considered.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Sinclair Owes $1.82 Billion in
RSN Fees Amid Tough Ad Market
According to a recent filing with the Securities Exchange Commission, Sinclair in 2021 is on the hook for $1.82 billion in rights fees.

Even some elite, team-owned RSNs are now struggling to keep the faith. “I used to say that the RSN model is good for five to 10 years, but I have to modify that,” said one sports net programming chief. “COVID will have a more lasting impact on sports than perhaps we’d anticipated. The RSNs are not in a great spot right now—along with the battle with distributors, the advertisers are not clamoring back.”
The biggest problem with RSNs is they cost $5-$10 a month, where as channels like say NHL Network, MLB Network (both show more overall games than a teams RSN) cost 30 cents or so a month per subscriber. Which is a big reason why providers have taken the hard line stance on this. RSNs don't make money.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
mookie1010
Site Admin

Post by mookie1010 »

Good Christ.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

Pierre will be next.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Olczyk is fine. I despise Ferraro for how he treated Stefan in 2007. Pierre is a small penis, so I don't like him either.
Math wrote:I love incest
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

I've never thought of Gretzky as someone who is all that compelling on TV.

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/ ... 37792?s=19
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

I’m starting to think ESPN’s role in the Disney empire is to take as much Marvel/Star Wars money as they can and set it on fire. Some kind of tax evasion strategy or something.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

I thought Hull was awesome because he actually said what he thought. It's why I liked Roenick (though I understand why he was fired).

I'm tired of listening to robots trot out the same tired old phrases. It's a general gripe I have with hockey players. Very few of them ever show their real personalities. The only ones I can think of that are actually interesting people are Roenick, Hull, and Avery.
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Hockey players are some of the funniest athletes in the world. But I guess some guy in an expensive tie at ESPN was more like, "Well, we'll just do whatever didn't ever work for NBC because it's SAFE."
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Troy McClure wrote:Turco was funny wearing a mic as a playing during an All Star game. Otherwise, he wasn't very good on TV. The Stars tried him as an intermission host, and it didn't work. They then tried to send him walking around the AAC to do man on the street bits, and they never worked because he's not a comedian. I agree he's personable and good in interviews, but he doesn't have enough of it to carry TV segments.

The problem with using former players to stock broadcasts is they aren't trained media people. NFL broadcasts try the same thing, but the difference there is those networks churn through guys every year trying to figure out who gets how to do TV. If they don't have it, they'll be gone as soon as their contract is up. With NBC's hockey coverage, it was more like anyone they hired had the job for life no matter how good or bad they were.
Turco was so awkward. He would ramble and ramble because he couldn't figure out when to stop talking. He was also awkward with the fans. From what I have heard of him behind the scenes, Turco is quite similar to Sydor when it comes to fan interactions.

Ludwig was awful at first too. He barely spoke at all, but he really grew into it over the years and I enjoyed him as the color analyst.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

SaintAngerBH wrote:I thought Hull was awesome because he actually said what he thought. It's why I liked Roenick (though I understand why he was fired).

I'm tired of listening to robots trot out the same tired old phrases. It's a general gripe I have with hockey players. Very few of them ever show their real personalities. The only ones I can think of that are actually interesting people are Roenick, Hull, and Avery.
I think Hull is good in an interview format where he's answering questions, but I don't think he'd be good on a TV set where he's the one coming up with content. I also don't think Hull is the kind of guy to put in the work to keep up with what's going on with every team.
Roenick also seemed to lose steam pretty quickly and had been relegated to doing bits because he has personality and all but doesn't have much interesting to say.

TV is hard. It's especially hard on a national broadcast where you're speaking to fans of every team. I only hope these new partners try out new people and aren't afraid to keep trying out new people until they find ones who shine.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

If all the coaches weren’t crusty, cantankerous old assholes, I would say you need a good coach or two doing commentary. The most useful innovation I’ve seen in sports broadcasting over the past 30 years was the “coaches room” alternate broadcast they do for the college football national championship. Breaking down the game at the second level probably isn’t for the casual fan, but that kind of thing is the only useful commentary I ever get. Even Romo’s ability to break down what the play call is and why they’re doing something a certain way from an X’s and O’s perspective is more than you get from most commentators. Hockey might be too fluid of a sport for that though. They might end up having to acknowledge that every team basically plays the exact same system now and are just hoping to execute a little faster than the opponent or for some high percentage bounces to break their way.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:I thought Hull was awesome because he actually said what he thought. It's why I liked Roenick (though I understand why he was fired).

I think Hull is good in an interview format where he's answering questions, but I don't think he'd be good on a TV set where he's the one coming up with content. I also don't think Hull is the kind of guy to put in the work to keep up with what's going on with every team.
Roenick also seemed to lose steam pretty quickly and had been relegated to doing bits because he has personality and all but doesn't have much interesting to say.

TV is hard. It's especially hard on a national broadcast where you're speaking to fans of every team. I only hope these new partners try out new people and aren't afraid to keep trying out new people until they find ones who shine.
Hull was on TV way back in OLN era. I thought he was really good.
Math

Post by Math »

And Hull must be a great guy to drink a couple of beers with
Math

Post by Math »

I love when politics and sports are messing around between each other.

https://twitter.com/MStakis/status/1397106047249260550
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Whoa, that flag rules.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The Bally Sports streaming solution is in the works. They will want to charge $23/month.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclai ... -2022/amp/
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

That sounds high but it's probably fair. There are a lot of people that only have a $50-80 streaming service just for sports. But this will go like every other streaming service. Get people to sign up with a price point that seems like a fair deal, then in 6 months you'll be paying Bally $80/month.