CBA / Other Hockey Business Stuff

Dallas Stars and general NHL discussion goes here.
BigAl

Re: CBA / Other Hockey Business Stuff

Post by BigAl »

They should move the team to Dallas while they’re at it.
~ Swinton
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

We should rename that specific color Norm Green.
Math

Post by Math »

And officially wear Norm Green socks.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

This is the closure we need.

The Dallas Stars have now existed longer than the Minnesota North Stars did. The Dallas Stars have also had significantly more success than the Minnesota team.

Minnesota has their own team. The North Stars belong to Minnesota. Good for them.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

Troy McClure wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:08 pm This is the closure we need.

The Dallas Stars have now existed longer than the Minnesota North Stars did. The Dallas Stars have also had significantly more success than the Minnesota team.

Minnesota has their own team. The North Stars belong to Minnesota. Good for them.
I believe this is all due to the Hicks bankruptcy. I’m pretty sure the Stars owned the North Stars branding until the team went bankrupt and was under league control, and when they sold the team to Gaglardi, it did not include the North Stars IP. Otherwise all the Stars’ retro jerseys might be North Stars stuff, the way the Avs wear the Nordiques as retros.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

ScubaSteve wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:42 pm

I believe this is all due to the Hicks bankruptcy. I’m pretty sure the Stars owned the North Stars branding until the team went bankrupt and was under league control, and when they sold the team to Gaglardi, it did not include the North Stars IP. Otherwise all the Stars’ retro jerseys might be North Stars stuff, the way the Avs wear the Nordiques as retros.
It goes back to 1999. The NHL filed trademark applications for the North Stars, Nordiques, Jets, and probably other trademarks back then where the NHL was the owner. The Jets trademarks got turned over to the new Jets ownership, but the other defunct names are owned by the NHL and not by the relocated teams.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

I also think it's cool because I always wanted to see those old North Star jerseys come back in some form. The 1990-91 scheme with the black trim was a really nice look.
Math wrote:I love incest
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

We should give them a hard time though. Just for fun
ToddM

Post by ToddM »

Isn't being a Wild fan punishment enough?
B Kat

Post by B Kat »

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/minnesota-wild-s ... -1.2133618

Despite speculation, it appears the Minnesota Wild won't be changing their colour scheme to green and yellow of the former Minnesota North Stars.

After a report surfaced Wednesday that the team was planning the switch as part of a 2025-26 rebrand, the Wild told Michael Russo of The Athletic there is no truth to the reported change.

"Not based in fact," the team told Russo.

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

That's too bad. It would have been a smart move. Their current color scheme is bland and sucks. Also, their fans love that color scheme
Math

Post by Math »

I think the Christmas colors scheme is perfectly suitable for a team in Minnesota. But the biggest drama of the Wild franchise is that it was born right in the middle of the dark ages in terms of branding/aestethics.

Even though the current branding sucks (both name and colors), sticking with it is the right choice marketing-wise. You have now all the gen Z/millenials that only know and have lived with the Wild, and don't care much about the North Stars history and legacy, in a proportion that is constantly growing. This is the target population that represents the foundation of the fanbase. You don't want to please some old grumpy nostagic folks that tend to fade and disappear anyway. The Wild has already made some tweaks by ditching wheat and making the red less dominant. The funny thing is that there's a significant number of those teenagers/young adults fans that actually dislike this retro look because it refers to Subway and not the North Stars.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

These are plain jerseys, but they aren't bad. Certainly better than what we often get from marketing firms designing by committee.

SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

Hockey Club is a dumb name. So boring.
slaps

Post by slaps »

It’s temporary for this season until the formal name is chosen.

I also don’t mind it. I think it’s kind of neat.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.
Math

Post by Math »

I like the color scheme but the baby blue name is kinda unfortunate. In terms of marketing and merchandising, it's clever: you have the first year excitement with a lot of people going to purchase Utah gear even if the look is generic but once the logo and the name will be unveiled, a second wave of sales will occur.
The Frugal Gourmet

Post by The Frugal Gourmet »

I like it oddly
wonko80

Post by wonko80 »

It's one step above the horrible "Dallas" jerseys. So not terrible, but not good either.
5minmajor

Post by 5minmajor »

I think it can be difficult to differentiate garbage from generic, but they have succeeded.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

5minmajor wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:11 pm I think it can be difficult to differentiate garbage from generic, but they have succeeded.
I think what I like about it is they chose to go simple, which is going to look perfectly fine.

It's hard to hate something like this where there are no bold choices in colors or designs or logos. Yeah, these could easily pass for something you'd see on a college or beer league team, but they aren't ugly.
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

It's also pretty cool for a new franchise to be able to play a season in these, roll out fancy new jerseys next summer, but always have this throwback in their arsenal.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

I do actually like the color scheme though. It's easy on the eyes.
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

wonko80 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:02 pm It's one step above the horrible "Dallas" jerseys. So not terrible, but not good either.
In retrospect, I actually consider the "DALLAS" jerseys to be worse than the Mooterus which, actually wouldn't have been so bad without the red.
5minmajor

Post by 5minmajor »

Troy McClure wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:17 pm
5minmajor wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:11 pm I think it can be difficult to differentiate garbage from generic, but they have succeeded.
I think what I like about it is they chose to go simple, which is going to look perfectly fine.

It's hard to hate something like this where there are no bold choices in colors or designs or logos. Yeah, these could easily pass for something you'd see on a college or beer league team, but they aren't ugly.
By that logic the Black Dallas uniform would be the greatest of all time
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

The difference is these at least have some color. Those stupid bankruptcy-era practice jerseys were completely monochrome.
Knives Out

Post by Knives Out »

wonko80 wrote:Cody is Robo's Tiger Mom.
ScubaSteve

Post by ScubaSteve »

The probably finally had enough of his holodeck addiction
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died
SaintAngerBH

Post by SaintAngerBH »

You mean Broccoli Goodrow
Troy McClure

Post by Troy McClure »

ScubaSteve wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:19 pm The probably finally had enough of his holodeck addiction
:comeon