Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

cdanew

Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Postby cdanew » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:03 pm

While the deadline is still a long way away (February 25), thought I'd toss this out there. The Stars have to do something, right? Right?

Way obvious need is a scoring forward. So who may be available - Craig Custance has a piece looking at the top 20 potentially available players (obviously not all forwards):

1. Artemi Panarin - Blue Jackets
2. Matt Duchene - Senators
3. Mark Stone - Senators
4. Kevin Hayes - Rangers
5. Dougie Hamilton - Hurricanes
6. Wayne Simmonds - Flyers
7. Chris Kreider - Rangers
8. Brayden Schenn - Blues
9. Jake Muzzin - Kings
10. Gustav Nyquist - Red Wings
11. Jesse Puljujarvi - Oilers
12. Timothy Liljegren - Maple Leafs
13. Micheal Ferland - Hurricanes
14. Mats Zuccarello - Rangers
15. Nino Niederreiter - Wild
16. Jimmy Howard - Red Wings
17. Andre Burakovsky - Capitals
18. Trevor Daley - Red Wings
19. Alec Martinez - Kings
20. Nick Jensen - Red Wings

ToddM

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Trevor Daley. 100%.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Any forward on that list would be an upgrade. Any two of them would be ideal. I have no idea how to pull it off without trading away multiple first round picks.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Why in the world would you add to this thing? Sell Spezza, salvage whatever you can value-wise for Honka and Val, and you're not any worse off than where you are now.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Any forward on that list would be an upgrade. Any two of them would be ideal. I have no idea how to pull it off without trading away multiple first round picks.

Given what the team has done with first-round picks over the past 10+ years, I'm not sure that I'm that concerned about it if the player is young enough.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Obviously, Panarin or Stone would be a massive improvement, but I wonder if Puljujarvi could be had for cheap with the idea that a change of scenery may help. He hasn't exactly been living up to the pedigree in Edmonton.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Why in the world would you add to this thing? Sell Spezza, salvage whatever you can value-wise for Honka and Val, and you're not any worse off than where you are now.

I hate to agree, but I do.

Panarin would help. Duchene I'm afraid is a dick. Both would cost more than they are worth. Panarin isn't gonna stay and Duchene we wouldn't want to stay. Stone is staying in Ottawa. I do like Gus Nyquist, but he is more of what we already have. Maybe next year.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Why in the world would you add to this thing? Sell Spezza, salvage whatever you can value-wise for Honka and Val, and you're not any worse off than where you are now.

Because I'll take any playoff hockey at this point even if it doesn't last very long.

It's not like next season looks any brighter with Benn/Seguin a year older, Spezza gone, and yet another year of hoping a bunch of young guys who can't do *poo poo* in the NHL finally figure it out. With the future looking putrid, I just say do what they can to get into the playoffs now for the sake of looking like they're trying to win.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

B Kat wrote:

I hate to agree, but I do.

Panarin would help. Duchene I'm afraid is a dick. Both would cost more than they are worth. Panarin isn't gonna stay and Duchene we wouldn't want to stay. Stone is staying in Ottawa. I do like Gus Nyquist, but he is more of what we already have. Maybe next year.

I would think that any deal for Duchene or Panarin would be heavily conditioned on their willingness to sign here. I don't care if Duchene's hobby is kicking puppies if he can be a solid second-line center.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Troy McClure wrote:

Because I'll take any playoff hockey at this point even if it doesn't last very long.

It's not like next season looks any brighter with Benn/Seguin a year older, Spezza gone, and yet another year of hoping a bunch of young guys who can't do *poo poo* in the NHL finally figure it out. With the future looking putrid, I just say do what they can to get into the playoffs now for the sake of looking like they're trying to win.

That's probably the route they'll go, since Nill needs to make the playoffs this year to save his job. And I agree, since we suck at drafting anyway, who cares if we give up some assets to get immediate help. But unless you're adding both Panarin and Duchene or something crazy like that, I don't see any way this team gets out of the first round.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm not thrilled with any of those really except Stone. However, he sounds like he'd prefer to stay in Ottawa, however, that could just be lip service.

Again, we'd have to salary dump the ship out of some players to be able to do any trade for any decent player. I feel like at best we can hope for a "change of scenery" style trade where we swap one or two mediocre players for some other slightly less mediocre player that has potential.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 pm

I think Nill is going to pull out all the stops to save his job. All this safe "not mortgaging the future" nonsense is probably going to go right out the window since he will be fired if we don't have a decent playoff run this year.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Pass on Duchene. He's got to be the single streakiest scorer in the NHL. 14 points in 6 games one week, then disappears for a month. Basically a younger, faster version of what we have already with Spezza.

Stone would be the best choice in that list besides Daley.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Daley has too much speed to fit this team's system.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Daley has too much speed to fit this team's system.

And too many Stanley Cups.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pm

Pass on everyone.

We just need a rousing speech by Lites to propel us every couple of weeks.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Stars2099 boner alert:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/wh ... -simmonds/

A shrewd contender should ask themselves a simple question regarding a Wayne Simmonds trade: “Why wait?”

Simmonds’ name has been surfacing in trade rumblings lately, including when Darren Dreger weighed in on the matter during Tuesday’s edition of TSN’s Insider Trading. Dreger and others indicate that Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher is still mulling over options, with at least some possibility for Philly to simply re-sign the 30-year-old power-play whiz.

The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun reports (sub required) that Simmonds’ reps are expected to increase pressure on Fletcher to make a decision soon (maybe by the end of the week), and while that might lead to some sweaty palms, it’s likely for the best overall.

In fact, it could end up being a situation where everyone – the Flyers, Simmonds, and a potential new team – wins.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 pm

I think Simmonds would do well here, but the Stars can't truly afford a rental.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 pm

We should trade for him sometime in the next ten minutes so that he can score a hat trick against his old team to-night.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 pm

NILL ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL ONCE AGAIN. WTF WHERE WERE THE STARS ON THIS?1!?

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/01/11/tr ... rom-tampa/

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Nill hates dominoes.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 am

The Lightning have traded six of their last eight first round picks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tampa-shows-al ... 43112.html

The point, ultimately, is that this team is a little more willing to pull the chute on players who, while they provide quality on some level, may be more highly valued by other organizations. You can say what you want about Namestnikov, Hajek, Howden, Drouin (who, by the way, demanded a trade), and all the rest. The Lightning didn’t miss on those picks because they’re all NHLers. But they aren’t as valuable as the collective quality of the players they used them to acquire. Moreover, it’s easier to give up on just-okay first-rounders from 2014 if you also got Brayden Point in the third round, Nikita Kucherov in the second, or Ondrej Palat in the seventh.

You don’t need to continually onboard draftees if you’re hitting as many home runs as the Lightning have in the last seven or eight drafts. Of Tampa’s current points leaders, literally almost everyone on the current roster fall into one of three categories: Drafted (Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman, Killorn, Joseph, Cirelli, Palat, Erne, Paquette, Cernak, Vasilevskiy), traded for (Miller, McDonagh, Sergachev, Callahan, Coburn), or signed as a free agent out of junior (Johnson, Gourde).

Put another way, this is an organization so good at player evaluation that the only current contributors on the team signed via free agency are Anton Stralman (on a bargain deal after the Rangers let him walk) and Dan Girardi (bad move but only short-term and relatively low-cost).

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 am

It's almost not fair. They are so good at drafting and trading that they have too many good players. Of course, I bet a big reason why their trades work out so well is other teams want to acquire Tampa's picks thinking they can get some of that Tampa magic, so teams are overpaying Tampa.

It must be nice.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 am

And yet they still have zero Cups to show for it. And missed the playoffs entirely two seasons ago.

That's... amazing.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:37 am

ToddM wrote:And yet they still have zero Cups to show for it. And missed the playoffs entirely two seasons ago.

That's... amazing.

Yes, they are amazing. In a salary cap league striving for parity, they've won more playoff rounds in the past four seasons than the Stars have in the past 18 years. They have been to the conference finals three of the past four seasons. That is amazing. If your'e not jealous of that... well... enjoy hoping Roope *fargin'* Hintz becomes a superstar.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 am

I am jealous. But it's also surprising that, despite all that success and the league's best drafting and personnel decisions, they still have yet to win anything.

That probably changes this season.

Probably.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:21 am

ToddM wrote:I am jealous. But it's also surprising that, despite all that success and the league's best drafting and personnel decisions, they still have yet to win anything.

That probably changes this season.

Probably.

I think my bigger problem is characterizing three conference finals and one Cup finals appearance as not winning anything.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am

You can't drink champagne from an Atlantic Division Champion banner.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 am

Still better than the Dallas Stars.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 pm