0.1 @ Philly

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4985
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby cdanew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 am

Enjoyed Shapiro's summary of Montgomery's 5 keys from last night's game:

Win 56 percent of faceoffs: Failed. They won 53 percent of the draws.

Zero undisciplined penalties: Failed.

Three or fewer odd-man rushes: Failed. Badly.

Win net-front battle: Failed. Badly.

Win special teams: Failed.

If you go 0-for-5 in the areas your coach harps on most, you deserve to lose.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33591
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 am

Troy McClure wrote: On top of all of this, though, I still think Monty has the slowest Stars roster in years trying to play in a league that is maybe the fastest it has ever been.


I think this is the biggest factor. The game is young and fast, and Monty has a bunch of guys who can't keep up, so they can't play the possession game he wants.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12159
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 pm

I can't believe I actually miss Garbutt and Roussel...

Never thought that would happen.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45852
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

I loved those guys, actually.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33591
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm

cdanew wrote:Enjoyed Shapiro's summary of Montgomery's 5 keys from last night's game:

Win 56 percent of faceoffs: Failed. They won 53 percent of the draws.

Zero undisciplined penalties: Failed.

Three or fewer odd-man rushes: Failed. Badly.

Win net-front battle: Failed. Badly.

Win special teams: Failed.

If you go 0-for-5 in the areas your coach harps on most, you deserve to lose.



Shapiro's recap of this one was just straight up savage.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45852
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:49 pm

This is what happens to this team and oddly high number of times. They've had a big win and they play a lesser opponent and they *poo poo* the bed. It's just a waste of points.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12159
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:01 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:This is what happens to this team and oddly high number of times. They've had a big win and they play a lesser opponent and they *poo poo* the bed. It's just a waste of points.


Which is a character and leadership issue. Maybe the coach is somewhat responsible for that, but I place the blame more on the players who should be leading.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4985
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby cdanew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm

The leadership question is kind of interesting (and goes back to Nill as well). The only players on the team who have any significant playoff runs are:

1. Seguin - won the Cup, but was a young gun along for the ride, who may or may not have absorbed anything from that team.
2. Spezza - Was with Ottawa in 06-07 when they lost in the Finals to the Ducks - had lots of other playoff appearances with the Sens but nothing past the 2nd round
3. Polak - Was with San Jose in 15-16 when they lost in the Finals to Pittsburgh - had some other playoff experience with St. Louis and Toronto, but nothing of significance

Other than Seguin, there is no one on this team who can say "This is what you have to do to win the Stanley Cup." I know its a different day and age and the style of the game is different, but there is no one in this mix like Keane, Ludwig, Carbonneau or Skrudland (yeah, I know, living in 1999) who have a real history of winning.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 39301
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:46 pm

This thing started going downhill when we lost Hemsky's winning pedigree.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15630
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby wonko80 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 pm

cdanew wrote:The leadership question is kind of interesting (and goes back to Nill as well). The only players on the team who have any significant playoff runs are:

1. Seguin - won the Cup, but was a young gun along for the ride, who may or may not have absorbed anything from that team.
2. Spezza - Was with Ottawa in 06-07 when they lost in the Finals to the Ducks - had lots of other playoff appearances with the Sens but nothing past the 2nd round
3. Polak - Was with San Jose in 15-16 when they lost in the Finals to Pittsburgh - had some other playoff experience with St. Louis and Toronto, but nothing of significance

Other than Seguin, there is no one on this team who can say "This is what you have to do to win the Stanley Cup." I know its a different day and age and the style of the game is different, but there is no one in this mix like Keane, Ludwig, Carbonneau or Skrudland (yeah, I know, living in 1999) who have a real history of winning.

I was actually thinking of that the other day. Perhaps finding at least one other guy who has won it all would be a good idea. Ideally it would be someone who isn't just a 4th liner who was a part of it but not as important.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 47542
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 pm

When it comes to vets, there's also Comeau, Hanzal, Methot, and both goalies who have in the league for a long time. They've had mixed results when it comes to team success, but they all should be guys who can provide examples of how to prepare for and handle the pro game. Radulov isn't a long-term NHLer, but he's another vet who should be considered a leader.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 39301
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm

wonko80 wrote:
cdanew wrote:The leadership question is kind of interesting (and goes back to Nill as well). The only players on the team who have any significant playoff runs are:

1. Seguin - won the Cup, but was a young gun along for the ride, who may or may not have absorbed anything from that team.
2. Spezza - Was with Ottawa in 06-07 when they lost in the Finals to the Ducks - had lots of other playoff appearances with the Sens but nothing past the 2nd round
3. Polak - Was with San Jose in 15-16 when they lost in the Finals to Pittsburgh - had some other playoff experience with St. Louis and Toronto, but nothing of significance

Other than Seguin, there is no one on this team who can say "This is what you have to do to win the Stanley Cup." I know its a different day and age and the style of the game is different, but there is no one in this mix like Keane, Ludwig, Carbonneau or Skrudland (yeah, I know, living in 1999) who have a real history of winning.

I was actually thinking of that the other day. Perhaps finding at least one other guy who has won it all would be a good idea. Ideally it would be someone who isn't just a 4th liner who was a part of it but not as important.


When we had Eaves and Sharp, the guy that someone decided should be captain of the team was the only Top 6 forward we had who had not played in the Cup finals.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12159
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:15 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:This thing started going downhill when we lost Hemsky's winning pedigree.


I think it was Goligoski. We haven't been to the playoffs since that Norris-level defenseman left...
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
One_Timer
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: 0.1 @ Philly

Postby One_Timer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:43 pm

They’re just a bad road team, period. This has Benn the case for years now.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests