2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm

What drives me nuts are the morons over on reddit or Facebook who claim that Radek Faksa or Valeri Nuchushkin or whoever are untouchables because of the awesome defense and intangibles they bring to the team.

What a bunch of clowns those people are.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16910
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:21 pm

slaps wrote:
ToddM wrote:We're not a piece away from the Cup.


I don't care. I don't give one tenth of one *poo poo*. I want to watch Stars playoff hockey. Nill's grand "5 year plan" is worthless. We're in the same position we are as when he took over. I want to watch consistent playoff hockey and if that means Nill needs to make some trades, then go and make some trades. Best case, we make it in to the playoffs and have a good run. Worst case, we suck and get another mid-round draft pick, which is what we're looking at now.


Right now we're the third or fourth best team in our division. The Avs are pretty much our equal, with the exact same depth scoring problems, far worse goaltending but a better top line. The Wild are an aging questionmark.

So unless there's a trade out there that puts us above Nash and the Jets --extremely unlikely-- why make a trade for the sake of a trade?

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm

No trade would put us above Nashville or Winnipeg. That's not realistic. But, there are potential trades that would make us better, into a tier just below them, assuming we could make the cap situation work. If you can get another scorer at the deadline, you do it. Plain and simple.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33640
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:31 pm

ToddM wrote:
slaps wrote:
ToddM wrote:We're not a piece away from the Cup.


I don't care. I don't give one tenth of one *poo poo*. I want to watch Stars playoff hockey. Nill's grand "5 year plan" is worthless. We're in the same position we are as when he took over. I want to watch consistent playoff hockey and if that means Nill needs to make some trades, then go and make some trades. Best case, we make it in to the playoffs and have a good run. Worst case, we suck and get another mid-round draft pick, which is what we're looking at now.


Right now we're the third or fourth best team in our division. The Avs are pretty much our equal, with the exact same depth scoring problems, far worse goaltending but a better top line. The Wild are an aging questionmark.

So unless there's a trade out there that puts us above Nash and the Jets --extremely unlikely-- why make a trade for the sake of a trade?


Why keep a team together that has consistently underperformed, has consistent mental issues with the game, and is looking like they will barely squeak into the playoffs so they can bow out in round one?

The really good teams and GMs seem to be very active in making trades. Maybe give that a try, since we're not exactly lighting it up right now.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

User avatar
The Frugal Gourmet
Posts: 45915
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 pm

Yeah I can see that point. At this point the team needs to generate interest. This is a boring team that hasn't sold itself to fans.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15664
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

slaps wrote:
ToddM wrote:Right now we're the third or fourth best team in our division. The Avs are pretty much our equal, with the exact same depth scoring problems, far worse goaltending but a better top line. The Wild are an aging questionmark.

So unless there's a trade out there that puts us above Nash and the Jets --extremely unlikely-- why make a trade for the sake of a trade?


Why keep a team together that has consistently underperformed, has consistent mental issues with the game, and is looking like they will barely squeak into the playoffs so they can bow out in round one?

The really good teams and GMs seem to be very active in making trades. Maybe give that a try, since we're not exactly lighting it up right now.

That's what I don't get. Missed the playoffs two years in a row and didn't even look competitive doing it yet half the team is untouchable? What sense does that make? Look, Faksa is great at being a defensive center, but if him plus a pick and/or prospect or whatever gets us Stone, I make that trade immediately.
Last edited by wonko80 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33640
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Sean Shapiro raised an interesting point on an Athletic podcast. He said that Lites' comments may have forced Nill into making a trade that he hadn't planned on making. Lites' comments brought a whole lot of attention to the front office and how they haven't done much to help build a good roster, and that the media attention may force action on Nill's part.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Well, then maybe some good did come from it.

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4999
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby cdanew » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm

slaps wrote:Sean Shapiro raised an interesting point on an Athletic podcast. He said that Lites' comments may have forced Nill into making a trade that he hadn't planned on making. Lites' comments brought a whole lot of attention to the front office and how they haven't done much to help build a good roster, and that the media attention may force action on Nill's part.


Couldn't that have been accomplished by an internal conversation between ownership and management? As in "Nill - fix this *poo poo* or you are going to be out of a job."

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 15439
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby B Kat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 pm

T Gags has probably already made up his mind about Nill. I doubt a trade or no trade would change that. If you look at the roster realistically, why bother. There's not a lot to trade outside of untradables, and that's Klingberg, Heiskenen, Lindell, Seguin. Faksa could be traded, but not just for a shot at making the playoffs this year. Sorry. Otherwise, who else is there? Hintz, Gurianov, Honka, Dickinson even. Trade away, but that's not going to get you a cup winning team this season.

I wouldn't even say Nill's job is on the line so much for his trades and FA signings. His drafting has been the problem. And development I suppose. Because that's the best way to build a team in the salary cap era. Even that's a crap shoot as the Al stats will tell you. Putting all those pieces together isn't that easy. Being frustrated, T Gags, Lites or the fans, is easy.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Yeah, but Nill will still likely make a hail mary type of move to try.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33640
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm

cdanew wrote:
slaps wrote:Sean Shapiro raised an interesting point on an Athletic podcast. He said that Lites' comments may have forced Nill into making a trade that he hadn't planned on making. Lites' comments brought a whole lot of attention to the front office and how they haven't done much to help build a good roster, and that the media attention may force action on Nill's part.


Couldn't that have been accomplished by an internal conversation between ownership and management? As in "Nill - fix this *poo poo* or you are going to be out of a job."



Shapiro's point was that it was unintentional. He doesn't think the front office expected as much negative press on them as they have received.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 33640
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:26 pm

B Kat wrote:Otherwise, who else is there? Hintz, Gurianov, Honka, Dickinson even. Trade away, but that's not going to get you a cup winning team this season.


I don't care. I know we aren't winning the Cup. I want to watch Stars playoff hockey.

B Kat wrote:I wouldn't even say Nill's job is on the line so much for his trades and FA signings. His drafting has been the problem. And development I suppose. Because that's the best way to build a team in the salary cap era. Even that's a crap shoot as the Al stats will tell you. Putting all those pieces together isn't that easy. Being frustrated, T Gags, Lites or the fans, is easy.


It's not easy, but it's not easy to whiff or fail as spectacularly badly as Nill has, either.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 33054
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby mookie1010 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:37 pm

slaps wrote:
cdanew wrote:
slaps wrote:Sean Shapiro raised an interesting point on an Athletic podcast. He said that Lites' comments may have forced Nill into making a trade that he hadn't planned on making. Lites' comments brought a whole lot of attention to the front office and how they haven't done much to help build a good roster, and that the media attention may force action on Nill's part.


Couldn't that have been accomplished by an internal conversation between ownership and management? As in "Nill - fix this *poo poo* or you are going to be out of a job."



Shapiro's point was that it was unintentional. He doesn't think the front office expected as much negative press on them as they have received.

Yes, I think you and he are both correct, and it goes back to what I said earlier - be careful pointing fingers, cuz there will probably be ten pointing back at you. The front office was in no place to stand in judgment.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:46 pm

mookie1010 wrote:
slaps wrote:
cdanew wrote:
slaps wrote:Sean Shapiro raised an interesting point on an Athletic podcast. He said that Lites' comments may have forced Nill into making a trade that he hadn't planned on making. Lites' comments brought a whole lot of attention to the front office and how they haven't done much to help build a good roster, and that the media attention may force action on Nill's part.


Couldn't that have been accomplished by an internal conversation between ownership and management? As in "Nill - fix this *poo poo* or you are going to be out of a job."



Shapiro's point was that it was unintentional. He doesn't think the front office expected as much negative press on them as they have received.

Yes, I think you and he are both correct, and it goes back to what I said earlier - be careful pointing fingers, cuz there will probably be ten pointing back at you. The front office was in no place to stand in judgment.


This is what it boils down to right here. The fact that they didn't realize this makes me question the competence of every single person in management all the way up to Gaglardi.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 15439
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby B Kat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:02 pm

slaps wrote:
B Kat wrote:Otherwise, who else is there? Hintz, Gurianov, Honka, Dickinson even. Trade away, but that's not going to get you a cup winning team this season.


I don't care. I know we aren't winning the Cup. I want to watch Stars playoff hockey.

B Kat wrote:I wouldn't even say Nill's job is on the line so much for his trades and FA signings. His drafting has been the problem. And development I suppose. Because that's the best way to build a team in the salary cap era. Even that's a crap shoot as the Al stats will tell you. Putting all those pieces together isn't that easy. Being frustrated, T Gags, Lites or the fans, is easy.


It's not easy, but it's not easy to whiff or fail as spectacularly badly as Nill has, either.

1 round of playoffs does have a monetary value. Matching that with what you trade way, player or pick is what is difficult. The frustration from not doing that well can force another stupid move. I think Nill and company have drafted poorly. The trade for Seguin, Sharp, Spezza, all wins. The FAs have been mas or menos, same as most FA signings. It's difficult. This team should be able to make the playoffs. We have good goaltending, which is an improvement. We have pretty good defense, even with injuries. Can 1 more little forward help, sure, but don't mortgage the future. But that's about it. Lites' comments have made the whole process harder IMO.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15664
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby wonko80 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm

We have good goaltending now, but the Bishop contract will look ugly in a few years. I just don't see him aging that well to where we're excited to have him signed through 2023.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 39383
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm

wonko80 wrote:We have good goaltending now, but the Bishop contract will look ugly in a few years. I just don't see him aging that well to where we're excited to have him signed through 2023.


He might still be alright. He's big and his game is more about being in position and less about athleticism, so I could see his game being good longer than Turco or Kari. Injuries are probably the bigger worry about him as he ages.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4999
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby cdanew » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 pm

wonko80 wrote:We have good goaltending now, but the Bishop contract will look ugly in a few years. I just don't see him aging that well to where we're excited to have him signed through 2023.


I understand what you are saying, but it may not be that bad. He has a reasonable cap hit ($4.9m) and the actual cash outlays in the last three years of the deal drop to $3.5m per. He can submit a 10-team no trade list in 4th and 5th years of the contract and an 8-team list in the 6th and last year.

He could have 3-4 years of productivity left (see Pekka Rinne at 36, Lundqvist at 36 - somewhat declining but still serviceable). The biggest question is whether he can stay healthy as he gets older - which we all know is easy to do.

Jason
Posts: 10950
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby Jason » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 am





User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16910
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby ToddM » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 am

On the plus side, Colorado and Minnesota got absolutely pasted to-night, so.... zero consequences, baby!!!

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 am

Again, I don't understand why people who get paid millions of dollars to play a game can't freaking motivate themselves.

Get with it or pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 am

Also, this tells me that the coaching may not have been as much of an issue as I once thought. Ruff and Hitch had issues as does Monty. But, the same core players have been here for a while, especially Benn.

I'm glad Monty called it a "culture of mediocrity" because that's exactly what it is. Part of me wonders if certain players are fine with mediocre because they only really care about the paycheck and having a good time. Some players don't care about winning a cup. It's pure speculation on my part. But, it just looks to me like these guys don't really care about winning, at least certain leaders don't.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 47653
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:25 am

Monty’s an open book with the media, and it makes him a sympathetic guy. But maybe don’t go to the mic, throw your hands up, and say you can’t coach these guys when you’re only half a seaosn into your NHL coaching career.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 39383
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:30 am

Troy McClure wrote:Monty’s an open book with the media, and it makes him a sympathetic guy. But maybe don’t go to the mic, throw your hands up, and say you can’t coach these guys when you’re only half a seaosn into your NHL coaching career.


Instead of criticizing, you should get rolling on some TSF “Culture of Mediocrity” t-shirts.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 47653
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 am

Nill managed to spend up with two of the five worst signings this past off season when he overpaid Comeau and Nichushkin.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... ff-season1
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:54 am

Man, I can't believe he gave Nichushkin that deal. Especially after watching his mediocrity in the KHL. What was he thinking??

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 am

And we signed Comeau for 3 *fargin'* years?!?!? Seriously???

User avatar
One_Timer
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby One_Timer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:42 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:And we signed Comeau for 3 *fargin'* years?!?!? Seriously???


This is what happens when all your draft picks are busts. You have to overpay and over-term in free agency to fill holes.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 12176
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:41 pm

I'm legitimately curious here. There seems to be a hard split between people against Benn and people saying Benn really hasn't been that bad when you consider his stats. I think he is on a 30 goal pace or so.

Where does everyone fall here? To me, he looks awful and continues to look worse as time goes on.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests