Former Stars Thread

Troy McClure

Re: Former Stars Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:41 pm

ToddM wrote:Coyotes defense lookin' sharp. I can't read the jersey numbers but I'm just going to assume these are all ex-Stars:

Edit: Goligoski was indeed the primary d-man on the play, and this was the third shorthanded goal the Coyotes allowed that game and the second allowed on that same power play.

That is mesmerizing.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 pm

For anyone who has a subscription to The Athletic, Justin Bourne did a "systems analyst" piece on this play. He details all the breakdowns and lack of effort leading to the goal. I particularly enjoyed his description of the goalies role in the play:

https://theathletic.com/676372/2018/11/26/systems-analyst-the-calamitous-effort-that-led-to-the-coyotes-embarrassing-shorthanded-goal-against/

As you know, Jankowski rolls off Goligoski, takes it uncontested to the net and slips it five hole. I’ll refrain from going too deep on Raanta – that goaltending job is a specialty with a language only a few people speak well – but I’m not too shy to lay out my assumptions: It looks like he’s A), rightfully surprised he has to play goalie at all in this moment, given the situation. B) Worried about a short-side stuff play, and guarding against that, hugging the post. C) COME ON MAN, poke-check that guy for the love of god! Even if you don’t poke it away you take away his time and space and any shot attempt will probably deflect into your own chest.

He also has a freeze-frame analysis on Youtube:

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Ah. "Ole stare at the ceiling" Goligoski strikes again...
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 pm

That was a surprisingly in-depth article for one play.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 pm

The Bruins claimed Gemel Smith off of waivers today.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Who?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Really stupid. Ritchie is the one who should be gone, not Smith.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Who?

He was the guy with a $720k cap hit who barely played yet has scored more goals than three forwards making a combined $7 million.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Really both are equally expendable.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm

That's too bad. Gemel is the ideal fourth-line "energy" forward. Even moreso than Elie.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Gemel is significantly better than Ritchie (although that isn't saying much) and significantly cheaper than Nichushkin. I'm starting to really not like Nill although Monty is the one who decides to play Ritchie over Smith.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 pm

They think so little of Gemel that either they figured nobody would claim him on waivers, or they didn't care if he did get claimed. So he was never going to succeed here anyway. Normally I'm not in favor of giving up assets for nothing, but there are other players here that are also hot garbage, but this is no huge loss.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

No. But, I'm annoyed that we're still going to see a heavy diet of Ritchie and Nichushkin from now on.

lol. Brett Ritchie has more goals than Nichushkin now, by the way.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:44 pm

We'll see about the rest of the season. If Hanzal stays healthy (I know, I know) and a few of these dudes remain unable to score at all, they might reach down the Cedar Park to try another body or two. To make those moves work, they'd have to waive/trade other guys.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:23 am

It seems like we spend a lot of time arguing over 4th line players, which I guess makes sense since that is most of our roster. I’m glad Smith is gone. There I said it. Now follow that up by putting five more guys on waivers.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:20 am

Knives Out wrote:It seems like we spend a lot of time arguing over 4th line players, which I guess makes sense since that is most of our roster. I’m glad Smith is gone. There I said it. Now follow that up by putting five more guys on waivers.

People aregue about them because half of them are “prospects,” and a prospect is a mystery box. A prospect can be anything, but one thing is for sure — if only the coach would give your favorite one first line minutes, he’d be a star.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Home of those prospects might even turn out to be a boat.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Well there's not a lot to argue and debate regarding guys like Seguin, Klingz, etc. They're known commodities. But 7th defensemen? Open season!!