2018 NHL Playoffs

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon May 21, 2018 5:45 pm

slaps wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:
wonko80 wrote:Again, it's mostly just bitterness due to the fact that your team is most likely instantly less successful than theirs, both in terms of results and in terms of roster building. It's actually a fun story.

On the other hand, they have Neal, who is a piece of *poo poo*, so that can be an acceptable reason to not like them.


Not really. I was annoyed with it when I thought the Stars might make a run earlier in the year. I'm annoyed because they got several advantages that former expansion teams were not given due to the salary cap era. As I said earlier, there should be a big fat asterisk next to their season for that.

Plus, they have Cody Eakin and a former Penguin doing a brick wall impression in goal. That alone is enough to hate their guts.


What advantages? Literally everyone picked them to be dead last, or close to it, at the beginning of the season. It's pretty revisionist to go back now and say it's unfair because they have all these so-called advantages over previous expansion teams.


I think they picked them to be dead last because of the label "expansion team" without really looking at the roster. Even I was guilty of that early on.

However, I gave links to the starting rosters of expansion teams from the 90s and the difference is pretty large. Those expansion teams got the absolute trash of the NHL except for a rare Manny Fernandez or Ray Ferarro. The Knights got some relatively nice pieces all in the same draft. The Knights started out in a place far ahead of any prior expansion team on paper.

No doubt, they are a good team. But, to me, they are just a good team and not some unique story.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
atticus ross
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby atticus ross » Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Yeah I never read anything or heard anyone say that Vegas was going to be a good team, let alone a great team and one of the top teams in the league this season. I wrote them off and expected an easy Stars win the first game of the season. But I was wrong. A lot of people were wrong. Vegas deserves to be where they are at and have earned every success they have experienced up to this point.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon May 21, 2018 6:09 pm

I certainly don't disagree with that. I'm just sick of everyone treating them as if they are the 1991 San Jose Sharks going to the Stanley Cup Finals. This isn't even remotely the case.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31944
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby slaps » Mon May 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Even the worst player on an NHL roster today is better than 98% of the rosters in the early 90's. That was before NHL players discovered things like "exercise" and "nutrition."

User avatar
#JTONTFJTGM
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 pm

For this season's playoffs, GSAA = Goals Saved Above Average, meaning how many more goals each goaltender saved versus what league-average goaltending would be expected to save against the same quality of shots:


User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15322
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby ToddM » Mon May 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Yeah, this run has been about 98% Fleury playing like someone you'd use the first-overall pick on, 2% grit/ReillySmith/chipontheirshoulder/teamspeed.

Quick note: remember exactly one year ago when we were considering getting Fleury but didn't because he was 'done'? Good times.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 37523
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm

https://omny.fm/shows/nhl-on-nbc-sports ... nces-to-st

Boy, this triggers some member berries.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon May 21, 2018 8:04 pm

I don't recognize it. Who is that?
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 37523
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon May 21, 2018 8:41 pm

I don’t know
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 31856
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby mookie1010 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
wonko80 wrote:Again, it's mostly just bitterness due to the fact that your team is most likely instantly less successful than theirs, both in terms of results and in terms of roster building. It's actually a fun story.

On the other hand, they have Neal, who is a piece of *poo poo*, so that can be an acceptable reason to not like them.


Not really. I was annoyed with it when I thought the Stars might make a run earlier in the year. I'm annoyed because they got several advantages that former expansion teams were not given due to the salary cap era. As I said earlier, there should be a big fat asterisk next to their season for that.

Plus, they have Cody Eakin and a former Penguin doing a brick wall impression in goal. That alone is enough to hate their guts.

You're literally mad that this team played the hand they were dealt exceptionally well. They didn't make the rules, they didn't rig the game. They played the rules according to the rule makers and won. Being mad about that is - to me - very short-sighted, subjective and self-serving.

Sorry, NHL dogma. You lost. Stop bitching about it, learn what the other guy did and improve.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 pm

mookie1010 wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:
wonko80 wrote:Again, it's mostly just bitterness due to the fact that your team is most likely instantly less successful than theirs, both in terms of results and in terms of roster building. It's actually a fun story.

On the other hand, they have Neal, who is a piece of *poo poo*, so that can be an acceptable reason to not like them.


Not really. I was annoyed with it when I thought the Stars might make a run earlier in the year. I'm annoyed because they got several advantages that former expansion teams were not given due to the salary cap era. As I said earlier, there should be a big fat asterisk next to their season for that.

Plus, they have Cody Eakin and a former Penguin doing a brick wall impression in goal. That alone is enough to hate their guts.

You're literally mad that this team played the hand they were dealt exceptionally well. They didn't make the rules, they didn't rig the game. They played the rules according to the rule makers and won. Being mad about that is - to me - very short-sighted, subjective and self-serving.

Sorry, NHL dogma. You lost. Stop bitching about it, learn what the other guy did and improve.


This is a strawman argument. I have made it pretty clear that I am annoyed by the media blowing this up as if this is some team full of AHL scrubs scratching and clawing their way to the cup finals. This expansion team is like no other expansion team in NHL history because they were able to select significantly better players than prior expansion teams (even after taking into account the general increase in talent in the NHL when compared to the 90s).

They are a good team and absolutely deserve to be where they are. I never argued otherwise. I just think there should be an asterisk there because this is not like the 1993 Mighty Ducks or the 1992 Lightning miraculously getting to the cup final. They started out far ahead of any other expansion team talent-wise.

EDIT: I mistyped the post you quoted because I didn't make that one clear enough that my issue is with the media and their interpretation of this so I see why you said what you said.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 31856
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby mookie1010 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Every analysis I see makes it clear that this LVK team is very different from a normal expansion team.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

User avatar
#JTONTFJTGM
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 pm


William Karlsson's last two seasons playing for the Blue Jackets:

2015-'16 - 81 games played, 9 goals on 108 shots (8.3% shooting) and 20 points averaging 14:28 of ice time per game.

2016-'17 - 81 games played, 6 goals on 96 shots (6.3% shooting) and 25 points averaging 13:23 of ice time per game.

In 82 games for the Golden Knights this season Karlsson scored 43 goals on 184 shots (23.4% shooting) and 78 points averaging 18:43 of ice time per game.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15322
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby ToddM » Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 am

I can't blame the GMs for the Fleury or Karlsson dumps (Karlsson could well end up being the Brady Anderson of hockey), but I will never understand the reasoning behind that Florida trade. It'd be like us trading them Radulov to select Janmark, in order to protect Elie.

I doubt Seattle will get any trades these one-sided, but then again, NHL GMs aren't the brightest bananas in the bunch.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14682
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby B Kat » Tue May 22, 2018 8:08 am

slaps wrote:And while the rules were different for Vegas, all teams had the opportunity to protect their top players. Vegas got a bunch of castoffs that the teams didn't consider good enough to keep.

Technically they were castoffs, but many teams would have loved to have a couple more protections, but they just made what they thought were the best decisions. OK, several teams got it wrong. I don’t think the Vegas GM was holding a gun to their heads. These GMs in addition, made a few more crazy trades, mostly to help their cap situation, that helped Vegas.

What I love about Vegas is their mentality. Led by Fluery, I’d like to think, they use that cast off chip on their shoulder to conquer the world. And with a good coach, and a system that matches their players, voila.

Four more games is all they need. No one doesn’t believe they can’t do it now. (So maybe they’ll fall apart in the Final, but I wouldn’t bet on it.)

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue May 22, 2018 11:06 am

Even if I liked Vegas, I'd still be pulling for Ovechkin. It would be a travesty if he didn't win a cup before retiring.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15322
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby ToddM » Tue May 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Good read on Vegas from a year ago next month:

https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-kni ... 1796327043

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 37523
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 pm

ToddM wrote:Good read on Vegas from a year ago next month:

https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-kni ... 1796327043


Reminds me of this deadspin hot take:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donal ... 1788618628
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4475
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby cdanew » Tue May 22, 2018 2:43 pm

ToddM wrote:Good read on Vegas from a year ago next month:

https://deadspin.com/wow-the-golden-kni ... 1796327043


The comments were particularly amusing.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18499
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby Knives Out » Wed May 23, 2018 12:27 pm

I have been incredily entertained these playoffs.
The hockey itself has been awesome, and for the first time ever I did not hate a single team in the final 4.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 23, 2018 1:10 pm

I like the hate. It simulates the experience I have when my team is there. If I don't have anyone to hate, then I become apathetic to the game and get bored.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
atticus ross
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby atticus ross » Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Not me. Of course I would prefer the Stars be in the playoffs but I get stressed out when they do make it. When they miss or get knocked out I find that I can enjoy the other series being played.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm

3-0 Caps.

Tampa Bay gonna Washington.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason
Posts: 10745
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby Jason » Thu May 24, 2018 5:42 pm




SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 pm

That isn't the first time I've seen 7 in this playoffs. I'm pretty sure Winnipeg did the same thing against the Knights during one game.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31944
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby slaps » Thu May 24, 2018 11:48 pm

This is a really interesting analysis of Tom Wilson’s game 7 against the Lightning. I love articles like this.

https://theathletic.com/366984/2018/05/ ... er-played/

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 14774
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby wonko80 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 am

Great read.

One_Timer
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby One_Timer » Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 am

Bueno

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 10912
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 25, 2018 10:30 am

His hit was Marchment-esque. Not cool.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31944
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Postby slaps » Fri May 25, 2018 12:25 pm

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2357 ... y-pick-nhl

"We like our team right now. We've got speed up the middle, scoring on the wing, veterans and young guys on defense. We're in a good place," he said. "This could not have gone better, in my mind." The press didn't listen to McPhee. Some headlines:

The Hockey News: "How good will the Golden Knights be? Not very."

Deadspin: "Wow The Golden Knights Are Going To Be Bad."

Newsweek: "Vegas Golden Knights Are Going To Suck in 2017-18 And Here's Why."

Perhaps most damning: The sportsbooks in Vegas listed their new home team with 250-1 odds to win the Stanley Cup in its inaugural season, the highest of any club. (Oh, and our Power Rankings? Here ya go.)

The unprecedented success of Vegas in Year One has caused a truly bizarre ret-conning of the expansion draft, as if the Knights were simply gifted a Western Conference championship team. There was no certainty for greatness. For every home run, there was something foul. Looking back at the formula, it was equal parts shrewd scouting, players exceeding expectations and a hearty helping of leverage.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests