Re: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 am

Also, Detroit was loaded that year.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Thu May 03, 2018 11:44 am

ToddM wrote:That Wings series was frustrating, because the first two rounds they played an aggressive style that they hadn't really played all season, and scored a pair of lopsided upsets against the West's top teams. Then against Detroit, they went back to Tippett-style "protect a no-goal lead" B.S., and went down 3-0, before they got their swagger back for 4 and 5.

They played very well in Game 3 and could've won it had Turco not *poo poo* the bed that night.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 03, 2018 12:00 pm

ToddM wrote:*f-bomb* the DMN. The DMN can go skullfuck its dad with its grandmother's giant throbbing *hot beef member*.

Under Start Date, you put, "I've never stopped *fargin'* your mother." Does that mean you don't need to give two weeks notice?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 pm

ToddM wrote:That Wings series was frustrating, because the first two rounds they played an aggressive style that they hadn't really played all season, and scored a pair of lopsided upsets against the West's top teams. Then against Detroit, they went back to Tippett-style "protect a no-goal lead" B.S., and went down 3-0, before they got their swagger back for 4 and 5.

*f-bomb* the DMN. The DMN can go skullfuck its dad with its grandmother's giant throbbing *hot beef member*.

I think it was psychological. The Stars "knew" the Wings were better than them and they played like it.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Apparently the Stars have lead the league in icings three seasons straight.

It would be cool if these numbers were put in buckets. How many were missed passes vs panic dumps? Where did they start: deep in the zone vs closer to the blue line?

It would be fun to be able to look at these answers and find some easy explanation like "the biggest cause is defenders who suck at passing."
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 11, 2018 12:44 pm

This previous season, I don't think the defenders sucked at passing so much as Hitch's system forced them to the board and out as opposed to passes up the middle in order to maintain possession.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri May 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Apparently the Stars have lead the league in icings three seasons straight.

It would be cool if these numbers were put in buckets. How many were missed passes vs panic dumps? Where did they start: deep in the zone vs closer to the blue line?

It would be fun to be able to look at these answers and find some easy explanation like "the biggest cause is defenders who suck at passing."

Yeah, definitely an interesting stat, but not sure what that's indicative of. Three years ago, you could argue it's because they were always in the league and trying to score an empty netter from their end of the ice. The last two years, not so much.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Apparently the Stars have lead the league in icings three seasons straight.

About 65% were this guy:

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 pm

And you could also look at past seasons where they were playing an aggressive breakout game trying to feed guys breakaway passes.

It’s one of those numbers that doesn’t look like something you want to lead the league in, but we need more info to know the problem.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:39 pm

I think if you lead the league in it but are still a good team offensively, then it is probably more tied to the missed passes thing. If you lead the league but suck at, it's probably because you just thrower a prayer out of your zone. And if you lead the league but suck at defense, it probably means you're just trying to kill off the pressure in your zone.

So by itself it isn't probably a bad stat to lead the league in, but it seems the circumstances that you do and still be considered a good team are low.

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 am

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 am

Great. That's a guaranteed 5 extra goals next year!
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:Great. That's a guaranteed 5 extra goals next year!

Not if the player he replaces is someone who'd score more.

Remi Elie and Gemel Smith each scored six last season, Brett Ritchie scored seven and Jason Spezza scored eight.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

Remi Elie and Gemel Smith each scored six last season, Brett Ritchie scored seven and Jason Spezza scored eight.

That's a great point. It's a gamble. I guess he could surprise us and suddenly pot 20 goals. But, I doubt it.

Leonardo da Vinci

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

That's a great point. It's a gamble. I guess he could surprise us and suddenly pot 20 goals. But, I doubt it.

If he had Gurianov's shot, then he would score 30+ a season. Assuming he could stay healthy.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm

It’s more likely that Val replaces Roussel, so the offensive production will remain flat.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 16, 2018 1:43 pm

I've seen people start to hint that the Stars need to trade Seguin if they can't get him to sign an extension this summer. That talk makes my blood boil. I get it some people are terrified of ever losing players as free agents, but what I hate even more is the idea of totally giving up on next season by trading Seguin all for the benefit of getting a handful of draft picks of middling value. When it comes to value, having one season of Seguin is worth more to this franchise than anything they will get in a trade offer for him.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Yeah, the people who want to trade Seguin are the same people who think Kari is elite and will throw a *poo poo* fit about Roussel not being re-signed.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Seguin might stay with the Stars if they can finally get their *poo poo* together.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm

Fans love trades, even if they make no sense. Winnipeg fans basically spent Scheifle's first four seasons screaming about how he was a bust and needed to be traded for a cold bag of pucks. I doubt Nill would ever trade Seguin, tho. That's his Golden Boy! No matter what else happens, he always has the Seguin trade to hang his GM hat on ... even if, in retrospect, getting one over on Charielli actually turns out to be really really easy.

Which, come to think of it... maybe we should start some anonymous rumors about how Connor McDavid is "too soft" and "not a team player" or "actually a black guy." Chiarelli may not be able to resist the urge...

Jason

Postby Jason » Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue May 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Not sure how this factors in icings, but zone exits. I'd say possession exits is most important as it means your team has possession of the puck.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Do icings count as exits?

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue May 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Pitlick with a surprisingly high number of entries.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue May 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Pitlick was a very good pickup.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 pm

wonko80 wrote:Do icings count as exits?

I'm guessing they do as non possession zone exists same with chipping it off the boards/glass.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:13 pm

That explains Pateryn looking okay.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 pm

I doubt it. Considering the end result of an icing is the puck back in your end, I doubt they count as exits.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue May 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Also, did Spezza get talked into dump and chase or did Spezza have to dump it more becasue he was too slow to carry the puck through the neutral zone?

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed May 23, 2018 12:21 pm

We'll find out in 5 months.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.