10/6 @ Detroit - litany of excuses

Jason

Re: 10/6 @ Detroit - litany of excuses

Postby Jason » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:39 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:It's starting to show that we completely whiffed on the 2014 draft (9 picks, and not a single NHLer), and all we have to show for 2013 is maybe Dickinson.

It's why the roster is stocked with older guys Nill had to go acquire. Every team adds vets or free agents, but Nill has had to go crazy finding players to fill holes created by his terrible draft record. Comeau and Cogliano? *f-bomb* you, Nill. Radulov and Pavelski? Having to chase multiple over 30 UFA forwards all to try to create one and a half scoring lines is a kick in the salary cap.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:28 pm

So far, this team is an embarrassment to the city of Dallas. 0-3. No points out of 6. Benn *fargin'* sucks, again.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:12 am

I was saying it last year. I think Benn is done as far as being a top 6 forward. He is going to have to take on a similar role to the one Morrow did later in his career at this point.

Brad Alberts was right. We should have traded him after 2014-2015.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Math

Postby Math » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 am

Maybe a bit too early for the mega giant "fire everybody" wash-up, the Stars are not Montréal though the loss against the Wings was the forbidden one. With the easy schedule to come (Capitals twice, Calgary and a Sabres team that doesn't look ridiculous so far), time to cut the bullshit and leaders to take their responsibilities. They put the team in this *excrement hole*, it's their role to get it out of it.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:05 am

I'm not team "fire everyone" due to these three games. I'm team "fire everyone" due to the past several season's worth of Stars hockey.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am

slaps wrote:I'm not team "fire everyone" due to these three games. I'm team "fire everyone" due to the past several season's worth of Stars hockey.

I'm just indifferent to it. Lites has been around forever, so any organizational deficiencies clearly land on his desk. Nill has been around long enough that he's now making mistakes to try to cover for mistakes from earlier in his tenure.

If news came down today that everyone was fired, the only one I'd feel sorry for is Monty because one season and a start to a new one isn't fair to any new coach. Otherwise, I'd say pretty much any other GM could come in and do what Nill has done, considering that Nill's record seems to be finding one decent (but not great) player every other year in the draft.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:11 pm

slaps wrote:I'm not team "fire everyone" due to these three games. I'm team "fire everyone" due to the past several season's worth of Stars hockey.

This is Nill's 7th year as GM. He has two first-round playoff victories to show for it and one, maybe two really great draft picks in Heiskanen and Hintz.

Nill is a terrible GM. I bet Nieuwendyk would have done no worse.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Troy McClure wrote:

I'm just indifferent to it. Lites has been around forever, so any organizational deficiencies clearly land on his desk. Nill has been around long enough that he's now making mistakes to try to cover for mistakes from earlier in his tenure.

If news came down today that everyone was fired, the only one I'd feel sorry for is Monty because one season and a start to a new one isn't fair to any new coach. Otherwise, I'd say pretty much any other GM could come in and do what Nill has done, considering that Nill's record seems to be finding one decent (but not great) player every other year in the draft.

I agree about Monty. Unfortunately, if Nill is fired, his replacement will likely want to pick his own coach so Monty may be collateral damage.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:

I agree about Monty. Unfortunately, if Nill is fired, his replacement will likely want to pick his own coach so Monty may be collateral damage.

Counterpoint - Montgomery is voluntarily playing Justin Dowling on the power play.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:48 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:

This is Nill's 7th year as GM. He has two first-round playoff victories to show for it and one, maybe two really great draft picks in Heiskanen and Hintz.

Far from outstanding for sure but Fletcher, Chiarelli, Fenton, MCTavish, Dorion, Kekäläinen (to be confirmed) are quite worse. I comfort myself with this, when my disillusioned life is weighting too hard on my shoulders.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Math wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:

Far from outstanding for sure but Fletcher, Chiarelli, Fenton, MCTavish, Dorion, Kekäläinen (to be confirmed) are quite worse. I comfort myself with this, when my disillusioned life is weighting too hard on my shoulders.

To me, it's actually worse to have Nill because he's just good enough to be given a bevy of excuses which keeps his mediocrity around longer. He should have been fired when Ruff was let go.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:59 pm

slaps wrote:Counterpoint - Montgomery is voluntarily playing Justin Dowling on the power play.

While a funny point, who would you prefer to play on it? Gurianov?

Math

Postby Math » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm

I don't remember if Benn's last deal was made under Nill, but if the downtrending of Benn and Seguin remains constant, the two first line of the Stars on CapFriendly really hurt the eyes.

I'm wondering if there's already discussions about signing Heiskanen to an extension so far. Usually GMs get fired just after a blockbuster-desperate-save-my-ass signing.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 pm

wonko80 wrote:
slaps wrote:Counterpoint - Montgomery is voluntarily playing Justin Dowling on the power play.

While a funny point, who would you prefer to play on it? Gurianov?

I would say probably, except that the lack of depth options really makes my hockey heart hurt.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Math

Postby Math » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:29 pm

atticus ross wrote:Should have given Zuccarello what he wanted. He had instant chemistry here. Not a fan of Pavelski from what I've seen so far. Benn continues to disappoint. If he worked harder this offseason it's not showing. I'm tired of Nill and at this point couldn't care less if Monty was shown the door. His system leaves a lot to be desired.

But Zuccarello wanted the whole retirement contract kit (5+ years, NTC/MNC and all) whereas Nill didn't want to go more than 3 years. Grabbed by the balls, Fenton gave him everything on a silver plate. On this I would have done what Nill did: going with Pavelski for 3 years.

Pavelski is not impressing so far, to say the least but it's three games only. Unfortunately, GMs can only be judged after a lot of time towards their decisions. I forgot to mention, Bergevin was last year the worst GM of the league by far before making two great trades that significantly improved the Habs: Galchenyuk-Domi, and Pacioretty-Tatar/Suzuki.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Nill should be judged for 6+ years of mostly failures. He should have been canned years ago.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Signing Zuc would’ve handcuffed them when the time comes to pay Miro. You had to let him walk if he wouldn’t do a shorter term deal.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:56 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Signing Zuc would’ve handcuffed them when the time comes to pay Miro. You had to let him walk if he wouldn’t do a shorter term deal.

Yeah, this.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 pm

As much as I hate worrying about the expansion draft, it also would've meant exposing one of the defenders we like all to protect a bunch of 30+ year old forwards.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I don’t really see enough players worth protecting right now anyway. Do you HAVE to use all the protection slots they give you? Or can you pass?

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Nill's done some championship-builder-caliber moves (Seguin, Sharp, Radulov, Klingberg's ridick contract), but seems unable to do the basic, less sexy, more mundane stuff like drafting and developing and hiring good coaches. So the end result is meh mediocrity. He'll never be bad enough to allow Dallas to tank, but never good enough for them to take advantage of all the world-class talent we have, either.

Hopefully we bring back Newy at some point. I'd like to see what he can do with an actual owner.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 pm

They were so outclassed by Boston & St. Louis, then Detroit gave them a drive by. It’s basically the same team from last year that can’t figure out how check with the lead.

Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 am

Math wrote:I'm wondering if there's already discussions about signing Heiskanen to an extension so far. Usually GMs get fired just after a blockbuster-desperate-save-my-ass signing.

He can't be signed to a extension until July 1st, 2020 at the earliest.
Math wrote:Pavelski is not impressing so far, to say the least but it's three games only. Unfortunately, GMs can only be judged after a lot of time towards their decisions. I forgot to mention, Bergevin was last year the worst GM of the league by far before making two great trades that significantly improved the Habs: Galchenyuk-Domi, and Pacioretty-Tatar/Suzuki.

Well with the Stars forwards inability to pass and lack of puck possession it's going to make Pavelski look awful. So if it continues, the Pavelski will end up as a awful signing, where as Zuccarello fit better since he was faster and could pass.

Math

Postby Math » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Jason wrote:He can't be signed to a extension until July 1st, 2020 at the earliest.

Thanks for the precision. So there will be some little cooking around the salary cap, given that Hintz is expecting a significant rise that has to be finalized before Heiskanen gets a new deal. Meanwhile, Faksa with also be a RFA next year and eligible for arbitration. In that perspective, Coemau and Cogliano will likely be let go. The other question mark is Janmark.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Everyone assuming Hintz is going to get a massive raise. I'll believe it when I see it.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 pm

slaps wrote:Everyone assuming Hintz is going to get a massive raise. I'll believe it when I see it.

I’m still not convinced he’s an every day player. Dude has had like 15 good games. If he keeps it up then great, but I need a bigger sample size.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:11 pm

We’re still waiting for Dickinson’s 15th good game, so there’s that.
Could of.