Western Conf. bald predictions

Math

Western Conf. bald predictions

Postby Math » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm

And here's the West with the same considerations. I promise, I wrote it before the USA Today rankings.

Pacific Division

8. Anaheim Ducks
Last because they are in full rebuild mode, but first of all because I *fargin'* hate the Ducks. They have to finish last and rot in the bottom of the league for the next 67 decades if possible.

7. LA Kings
Old, fat and slow. Nothing new in LA and McLellan won't do any miracles.

6. Edmonton Oilers
Having top guns in your team and still succeed in failing the postseason, that's why I love the Oilers. No goalies, no defense, and here comes another disillusion in the frozen tundra.

5. Vancouver Canucks
I was about to list them higher, but with their miserable FA no-signings, they will be at their place, out of the playoffs.

4. Vegas Golden Knights
They weren't supposed to go to the playoffs in their inaugural year, they did. Same for year #2. Enough is enough, struggling times have to come in Vegas.

3. Arizona Coyotes
The upset of the season. Keller has a lot of potential, they add Kessel and Söderberg in the mix, get rid of Chucky. Coyotes for the Cinderella team deep run.

2. Calgary Flames
Still a strong team with a good mix of vets and youngsters. Good defensive squad and, book it, Lucic will be the game changer.

1. San José Sharks
They lost Pavelski, but the next core generation driven by Couture, Hertl and Labanc is there and mature enough to get the first seed.

Central Division

7. Minnesota Wild
Lecture 101 on how to dismantle a team from top to bottom with nothing in return: check. The Wild are promised to be glued on the last spot in the Central for the years to come.

6. Chicago Blackhawks
Still a team in transition with some good young players to surround Kane & Co. but goaltending is still a major question mark there.

5. Winnipeg Jets**
The Jets' defense is... wait, what defense ? Harsh off-season times for them even if they managed to re-sign their top scorers. Hellebuyck is not God, they will take a huge step backwards as the opportunity window is close enough to be slammed in their noses.

4. Colorado Avalanche*
An all-out-attack team loaded with talent. However, the D is not mature enough even if Makar and Girard are called to be dominant in the league. Goalies also are not a full-time insurance.

3. Dallas Stars
I belong to the cautiously optimistic group. I like the acquisitions, I don't think they will cross an offensive drought like last year, but the Stars will need a stellar Bishop in front of the net, again. They also lack a top-4 defender.

2. St-Louis Blues
A quiet offseason for them and they surely won't be dead-last in the league by New Year's Eve one more time. They will have though additional pressure due to their new SC Champs' status. I will accept the Blues' winning back-to-back Cups only if Hull sings again while drunk.

1. Nashville Predators
Putting the Blues in first place was too easy and the Stars, too subjective. Nashville remains a strong team and if the locker room can handle Duchene, it will be a big plus.

* First Wild-Card
** Second Wild-Card

ToddM

Re: Western Conf. bald predictions

Postby ToddM » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:33 pm

Arizona is too high. They're basically running the exact same system Dallas does (have your bottom-9 forwards all hang back and play D), just without the top-level talent we've got.

Jets are taking a beating in the national hockey press, which tells me that they'll probably get to 62 wins. I mean... this is a team that has Laine as their *second-line* winger.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:20 pm

My prediction: Stars #1 spot.

Everyone else: don’t care.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:39 pm

I think Dallas is too high.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:27 pm

I think you’re too high.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:55 pm

Bro, have you ever made Western Conference preseason predictions.... ON WEED?!?!

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:38 am

ToddM wrote:Bro, have you ever made Western Conference preseason predictions.... ON WEED?!?!

Weed is for children. I prefer coke.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:59 am

Pacific
1. VGK
2. SJ
3. EDM because I love Dave Tippett

Central
1. NASH
2. STL
3. PEG

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Oh yeah, forgot Tippett's in Edmonton now. They'll probably win the division by forcing McDavid into a 65-point player, before going out in 5 to the Avs in the first round.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Sounds about right.

Leonardo da Vinci