2019-2020 Stars Regular Season Thread

Knives Out

Re: 2019-2020 Stars Regular Season Thread

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:03 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:My girlfriend is a straight up Chinese immigrant who has experienced real racism while out in public so I'm in no way endorsing this.

How thick is her skin i.e. sense of humour though in regard to incredibly mild *poo poo* like that? As the son of a Chinese immigrant I know that nobody pokes fun at the Chinese more than people who have escaped China LOL. Because I gotta tell ya, outside of the non hockey fan Chinese bots risking capital punishment by spamming the Stars accounts with calls for the FBI Hate Crime Division because they don't understand the nuances of the English language, everyone pretending to be offended/ramping it up to SURPRISE SURPRISE TEXAS TEAM WANTS TO EXTERMINATE THE CHINESE and virtue signaling hard on our behalf is white as balls. I have a hockey group chat going with my cousin (she works for MLSE) and uncle (a Triple A goalie coach who went to Tretiak's goalie camp with Belfour back in the day) who are both full and their take (other than agreeing that it was dumb to say in this climate) was that the actual content itself in a vacuum was whatever and laughed it off. We don't care if Arex Kreusel is cancerred (although he does shoot squirrels so *f-bomb* that guy hard anyways LOL). It's okay to be torn though, but this really has all of the hallmarks of a company taking the easier route of getting rid of someone instead of wasting energy on explaining themselves to the mob that came for them, each one demanding their pound of flesh, and then moving on to the next outrage. I get it though. Cousin said something similar happened to one of their vendors for Raptors games. One employee snitched on another (whom she personally knows isn't racist) and they fired him before it could become a thing. No due diligence, but the severance they gave him was sweeeeet, probably to keep his mouth shut LOL.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Knives Out wrote:(other than agreeing that it was dumb to say in this climate) was that the actual content itself in a vacuum was whatever and laughed it off.

That's the thing. When you look at what's going on in this country right now, maybe save your racial humor for another day.

It also doesn't help he worked for a team that took a lot of *poo poo* last season for being the only team to ignore the NHL's hockey is for everyone initiative.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:19 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Knives Out wrote:(other than agreeing that it was dumb to say in this climate) was that the actual content itself in a vacuum was whatever and laughed it off.

That's the thing. When you look at what's going on in this country right now, maybe save your racial humor for another day.

It also doesn't help he worked for a team that took a lot of *poo poo* last season for being the only team to ignore the NHL's hockey is for everyone initiative.

LOL I never disagreed with any of that and understand why he was fired.

My point is how actually offended are you?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Knives Out wrote:LOL I never disagreed with any of that and understand why he was fired.

My point is how actually offended are you?

I'm not arguing with you. I think it's safe to say if this came up six months ago the guy probably isn't fired.

But I'm not offended. I also can't speak for anyone who is or isn't. *poo poo*, I don't know. The trouble for an employer looking at an incoming wave of social media anger is there's no easy way to figure out whether the online anger is a real threat to your business or is just the morning twitter outrage soon to be forgotten and never brought up again. Will you have actual fans angry about this? Will sponsors ask you about it? Employers are tending to opt for firing the person to make everything go away.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Well that's the slippery slope. We can understand and accept things logically while still being against it morally. How comfortable we've become with ruining a person's livelihood is discomforting etc.

Anyways, I was just throwing my two cents in as the resident Stars Chink. Seemed relevant LOL.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Hey, your input is more relevant, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see a Canadian more willing to forgive and roll with it than Americans.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Our Prime Minister did blackface.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Knives Out wrote:Our Prime Minister did blackface.

He did every weekend in the 90s from what I can tell.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Does the Chinese government still impose birth restrictions? Seriously asking...
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 pm

mookie1010 wrote:Does the Chinese government still impose birth restrictions? Seriously asking...

Yes. They are on a Two-Squirrel Policy now.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Used to be one, didn't it? Or am I misremembering?
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:24 pm

There’s a pretty good documentary about it on Prime. One Child Nation
~ Swinton

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:27 pm

mookie1010 wrote:Used to be one, didn't it? Or am I misremembering?

It used to be one until 2016. More than 100,000 Chinese children (most of them girls) adopted by Western families since the early 1990's. Fun fact: the orphanages/agencies all know that most girls will go to White families, so the girl my cousin adopted already had the name Natalie Byrne LOL. See, even on the French side of my family, they just keep coming ... :Winky:

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 pm

Knives Out wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:My girlfriend is a straight up Chinese immigrant who has experienced real racism while out in public so I'm in no way endorsing this.

How thick is her skin i.e. sense of humour though in regard to incredibly mild *poo poo* like that? As the son of a Chinese immigrant I know that nobody pokes fun at the Chinese more than people who have escaped China LOL. Because I gotta tell ya, outside of the non hockey fan Chinese bots risking capital punishment by spamming the Stars accounts with calls for the FBI Hate Crime Division because they don't understand the nuances of the English language, everyone pretending to be offended/ramping it up to SURPRISE SURPRISE TEXAS TEAM WANTS TO EXTERMINATE THE CHINESE and virtue signaling hard on our behalf is white as balls. I have a hockey group chat going with my cousin (she works for MLSE) and uncle (a Triple A goalie coach who went to Tretiak's goalie camp with Belfour back in the day) who are both full and their take (other than agreeing that it was dumb to say in this climate) was that the actual content itself in a vacuum was whatever and laughed it off. We don't care if Arex Kreusel is cancerred (although he does shoot squirrels so *f-bomb* that guy hard anyways LOL). It's okay to be torn though, but this really has all of the hallmarks of a company taking the easier route of getting rid of someone instead of wasting energy on explaining themselves to the mob that came for them, each one demanding their pound of flesh, and then moving on to the next outrage. I get it though. Cousin said something similar happened to one of their vendors for Raptors games. One employee snitched on another (whom she personally knows isn't racist) and they fired him before it could become a thing. No due diligence, but the severance they gave him was sweeeeet, probably to keep his mouth shut LOL.

She's pretty sensitive. However, she described these events to me. These were not people joking about her Chinese ethnicity, they were acts of maliciousness and borderline violence by white people who apparently despise Asians while she was out in stores/restaurants

I don't care about jokes and she generally lets jokes slide too. My favorite TV show of all-time is The Jeffersons and Sherman Hemsley probably makes white-based racist jokes multiple times every episode and it makes me laugh every time.

But, you lose me when there is actual hatred/violence behind it.

I am in total agreement with you, though. They aren't canceling him because it's the right thing to do. They're canceling him to avoid a PR fallout. Just like that anti-racism statement they put out the other day.

On a related note, I wonder if Jimmy Kimmel will lose his show like Roseanne Barr did. I believe in consistent standards regardless of your political beliefs. Either Kimmel should lose his show, or Roseanne should get it back.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:45 pm

My bad, I highlighted real racism as a contrast to what the visual effects designer said and was referring to that as mild *poo poo*.

Also, we all know the answer to your Kimmel question LOL.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:09 pm

I honestly don't know how people who "hate Asians" or hate "X race" function daily. I mean, how do you get stuff done if all you do is get upset about the other people? I guess it's fine if you live the Park Cities or something, but even then, if you're going to go out of your way to be hateful to whatever minority, that seems like an exhausting thing to be so full of hate.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:13 pm

What happened with Kimmel? I've been a little in my own world lately...

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:11 pm

They pulled up some of his old blackface videos where he (hilariously) does Karl Malone from the Man Show.

Also they got him saying the n word a bunch of times while parodying Snoop which was a bit much even then in all honesty.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:00 pm

They also pulled an old clip of him laughing like a creep while Megan Fox is detailing how Michael Bay made her do a bunch of creepy *poo poo* when she was like 15.
Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:35 pm

oh yeah. that too.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Megan Fox clarified on that though. See the Twitter thread.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:57 pm

So I'll be honest, I don't get the blackface blowback for something like that where it wasn't mean by itself, it was just a way for him to do an impression of another person. If he did it and then ate a bunch of fried chicken and watermelon while listening to rap music, then it is offensive. But what if a white person idolizes someone (say Lebron) and they want to dress as him for halloween or they can do a really great impression of him for a talent show? It's just off limits and white people can only do impressions of white people?

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:08 pm

That’s right.

Tina Fey has requested that 4 episodes of 30 Rock be pulled from streaming because they contained instances of ironic blackface (still not good enough for the woke scolds btw), and soon they’ll be coming after Mac from Sunny for his Murtaugh (even though the whole joke was how Mac was an idiot for doing so).

It’s only funny when Eddie Murphy, the Wayans, Snoop Dogg, or Dave Chappelle do whiteface because “racism” is a one way street LOL.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 pm

wonko80 wrote:So I'll be honest, I don't get the blackface blowback for something like that where it wasn't mean by itself, it was just a way for him to do an impression of another person. If he did it and then ate a bunch of fried chicken and watermelon while listening to rap music, then it is offensive. But what if a white person idolizes someone (say Lebron) and they want to dress as him for halloween or they can do a really great impression of him for a talent show? It's just off limits and white people can only do impressions of white people?

The reason you don't get it is because it's completely *fargin'* retarded and never made any sense.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 pm

LOL I’m obviously culpable, but this is some fine ass hockey talk, boys.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 am

Did you just assume Frugal's gender?
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:57 am

did you just assume I have a fine ass?

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:51 pm

N’Yes.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:46 pm