Postby Knives Out » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Ah man I love Cold Cave.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

slaps

Re: 2019-2020 NHL Regular Season Thread

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Ken Campbell goes straight for the collective Canadian sacred cow:

https://thehockeynews.com/all-features/ ... -for-a-fix

Not sure what y’all are doing in the United States for your hockey fix, but last week I sat down and tried to watch an installment of Sportnet’s NHL Classics or NHL Rewind or whatever the hell they’re calling it this week. The game in question was the “classic” between the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Flyers on Dec. 30, 1981, the game in which Wayne Gretzky scored five goals to shatter the NHL record for the fastest 50 goals. Remarkably, he did it in Game No. 39.

But, you know, there was one small problem. It was dreadful. After so many years, you forget just how putrid those Cooperalls actually looked until you see them in game action. Then you remember that someone actually thought that was a good idea once. You know how we all remember the 1980s as a high-flying, high-tempo game filled with skill and panache? Sorry to burst the bubble, but it was slow, plodding and full of mistakes. And the goaltending? It was terrible. In this particular game, Grant Fuhr outduelled Pete Peeters by posting an .844 save percentage compared to Peters’ .806. Ron Flockhart scored on a slapper from beyond the faceoff circle. With goaltending that bad, it’s actually a mystery why it took Gretzky even 39 games to get that many goals. Did enjoy seeing a young Pat Quinn behind the Philadelphia bench, though. Man, do I miss that guy.

See, here’s the thing. Old hockey games, particularly compared to the product today, generally suck. And the older the game, the higher the suckage factor. If you’re able, go back and try to watch DVDs of the most overrated hockey event ever, the 1972 Summit Series. It borders on unwatchable. No, check that. It is unwatchable.
Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:52 pm

This critique is true in that modern teams would absolutely destroy 80s teams. Players today are faster, stronger, in better shape, and coached better. But today they're all coached the same. With some very minor variations, teams and players today mostly play the same system and do all the same things, and they're banking on winning by executing slightly better or faster than the other team. Everything's about the system and playing probabilities for scoring chances.

Watching 80s or early 90s games, yes it's slower and the athletes are clearly inferior. And the goaltending is *fargin'* awful. But there are stark differences in how teams and individuals play. There's far more personality in the game. Room for improvisation and individual skill. It's a more entertaining product to watch.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:03 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:This critique is true in that modern teams would absolutely destroy 80s teams. Players today are faster, stronger, in better shape, and coached better. But today they're all coached the same. With some very minor variations, teams and players today mostly play the same system and do all the same things, and they're banking on winning by executing slightly better or faster than the other team. Everything's about the system and playing probabilities for scoring chances.

Watching 80s or early 90s games, yes it's slower and the athletes are clearly inferior. And the goaltending is *fargin'* awful. But there are stark differences in how teams and individuals play. There's far more personality in the game. Room for improvisation and individual skill. It's a more entertaining product to watch.

I didn't start watching hockey until late 1993, but the game then was tons of fun in the early and mid 90s. Thanks to ESPN Classic and ESPN2, I was able to watch a number of games from the early 90s, mostly from those fun Penguins and Leafs teams. Like you say, a big part of the fun was the wild variety of styles of play. Teams were all built very differently and coached differently. When you combine those differences with the fact there was very little advanced scouting done, you could have some extremely interesting games watching teams try to figure each other out over the course of a game. By the end of the 90s, much of that had started to go away.

And the roster depth makes a big difference. Back then, the 4th lines of these teams were filled with guys who were pretty bad players, especially with some teams still hanging onto the idea of needing to carry one and sometimes two enforcers. A good coach getting his top line out against that terrible 4th line was like getting a free power play.

I think what I liked about the early and mid 90s games was goaltending was better but not yet impenetrable. The goalies were all mostly normal sized people. Their gear hadn't yet swelled up too much. There also were only a handful of goalies who were truly great, so you weren't going out every night against a 6'5" monster who has been perfectly coached to play the angles and handle the puck the way you see today. You'd have smaller guys who could play big when hot like Arturs Irbe or Mike Vernon, but they were still beatable because they didn't take up the entire net.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Yep. There was definitely a sweet spot in the early 90s where systems and tactics were emerging but not fully developed and homogenized, along with the incremental progress in goaltending. It may have been as short a period as 1993-1997.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:06 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Yep. There was definitely a sweet spot in the early 90s where systems and tactics were emerging but not fully developed and homogenized, along with the incremental progress in goaltending. It may have been as short a period as 1993-1997.

Yeah, you were getting the influx of Russia's best along with more Swedes, Czechs, and Finns to push more spare Canadian dead weights off of rosters.

The game in the 80s was not good. I can't speak for the 70s or earlier because I've never watched them, but I watched several of those 80s classics like Ken Campbell did, and some of those stats need to be flagged the way baseball flags steroid era stats. You were starting to get some better sticks and skates but goalies were still almost completely uncoached. They had no concept of angles, body positioning, or how to direct rebounds away from danger areas. There were NHL teams who didn't have full time goalie coaches until the 2000s. Beyond that, he's right to say things were very slow. You had some amazing talents up up, but it doesn't take long before the talent level drops waaaaay down.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:03 pm

I've honestly never seen a game from before the early 90's. I just never went and watched any of those classics. But the clips I've seen of players dominating are always laughable defense and terrible stand-up goaltending. If Gretzky had grown up in this era with the coaching and diet and all that there's a great chance he'd still dominate because his vision was great. But yeah, his stats are definitely inflated due to the *poo poo* competition.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:27 pm

A million years ago I took an adult beginner workshop put on by this guy, https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... p?pid=3479
Alan May, played for the Stars a couple of years, but based on his stats looks like most of his time was in the penalty box.
He said he never took a skating class until his 20s. I got the feeling there were probably a lot of guys like that in the NHL.
~ Swinton

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:49 pm

For anyone who has a subscription to The Athletic, here's a really interesting article on what this whole debacle may do to players' pay.

The impact of the escrow is obvious, but not necessarily straightforward.

A 20 percent revenue shortfall would then be combined with the escrow hit players were already deducting (14 percent), meaning they would theoretically lose roughly one-third of their scheduled pay for the 2019-20 season.

For players with heavily front-loaded deals, that could mean huge percentages of their total contracts are lost. Below is a list of the players who were scheduled to make the highest dollar figure this season in the NHL, with a trio of Maple Leafs at the top of the list.

Guess who are numbers 8 and 9 on the list? Seguin ($4.42m potential loss) and Benn ($4.08m potential loss). While nobody is shedding tears in the millionaires are only get paid a few million dollars instead of many million dollars sense of things, that's a big hit for individuals whose careers have defined lifespans.

And it gets even more complicated:

But there are two particularly tricky things here for the NHLPA to navigate if it turns out players have to pay back a significant share of their salaries.

1. What do you do with players who retire or otherwise aren’t coming back next season, given the natural solution will be to subtract this money from future paychecks?

2. How do you ensure the burden on players is equally distributed and doesn’t come more heavily from star players’ pay in 2019-20?

Because so many of the NHL’s top stars have big-dollar salaries due this season, it’s expected that the workaround to all this will be to defer the salary shortfall pain over the next three or four years. This will be made easier if the NHL and the players’ union can negotiate this amount into the next CBA, rather than have it all become additional escrow burden.

The trouble with that solution? What if the NHL comes back next season without fans in the building?

That would take an even greater toll on revenues than the potential $1 billion hit for 2019-20. Gate revenues — along with in-arena merchandise and concession sales — are a massive, massive part of the NHL’s business.

No fans attending games could mean hockey drops from a $5.1 billion league a year ago to somewhere around half of that, which would mean player salaries would have to take similar haircuts.

Basically, this is something the league is going to be dealing with for years to come.

Math

Postby Math » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:26 am

The most "credible" option so far according to Buttman in an interview with TSN: regular season to be finished in July in two, three or four in neutral NHL-caliber arenas and then the play-off in the usual format.

Hockey in July...? Meh, I'm really not sure to get back into hockey in the middle of summer.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:10 am

Dumb questions:

Why do they need to be neutral sites?

What do they mean by NHL-caliber arenas? Since there will be no fans, you could pick a facility of any size. Are they more worried about the dressing rooms, medical facilities, and boards/ice being NHL quality than the size of the place? I bet that could be a big limitation.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:52 am

Funny - I was thinking if the NHL starts the 2020-21 regular season without fans that they should just play their games at Frisco rather than the AAC. The facility operating costs would be much lower, staffing could probably be a lot less, etc. I would think it might be slightly less jarring playing in front of 2,000 empty seats versus the cavernous AAC and its 18,500 empty seats.

Having said that, I'm sure that is very, very unlikely. Probably pesky little things like contracts with the AAC, etc. get in the way. The twins also chimed in and said the lighting and ice suck there versus the AAC, so yeah, probably not going to happen.

Math

Postby Math » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Yes, I think by NHL-caliber arena it means an ice rink with the same flexible boards, the ability to put cameras in the same locations as for a normal NHL games (for reviewing options), multi locker rooms, press-box with all the required technical stuff, etc.

By neutral sites, maybe they mean not the AAC for central division games for instance. They thought about some locations in Maine, New Hampshire, Saskatoon. In fact they can come here, we've pretty much spared by the Covid-19, we've got an "international" airport lost in the woods and a useless $400m-NHL arena built with taxpayers' money :Winky:

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Math wrote:Yes, I think by NHL-caliber arena it means an ice rink with the same flexible boards, the ability to put cameras in the same locations as for a normal NHL games (for reviewing options), multi locker rooms, press-box with all the required technical stuff, etc.

The boards is another thing my boys mentioned that I forgot to include as a reason why Frisco probably wouldn't work. I don't think they have the seamless glass/flexible boards that the AAC does.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Just cancel the *fargin'* season. Seriously. Isn't the whole point of the playoffs to generate seat revenue? Is the revenue from TV really that good?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:59 pm

Isn't all of the TV money from Canada and the regional networks?

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 pm

I don’t know

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:43 pm

Jason

Postby Jason » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:43 am

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:26 pm

Arthur Staple, the Islanders' beat writer for The Athletic, is taking the time off to do a series of "behind the scenes" articles delving into the beat writer life. His most recent one is here:

https://theathletic.com/1777881/2020/04 ... r-lessons/

You can check out his past articles for more. I think they are really cool articles, because he talks about missing major trades during the trade deadline, or how being critical of players and a team does (or doesn't) affect the working relationship. It's definitely a more interesting way to fill the time than analyzing player Zoom calls.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:09 pm

Seguin needs to get in on this.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Are there 101 and 201 level courses than we can sign Janmark up for before he takes the Ovi class?

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 pm

So how long before Brendan Leipsic has his contract terminated by the Capitals?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Yeah, he was barely hanging on as it was.

I have to imagine there are only about 200 other NHLers panicking about their private messages going public.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 06, 2020 9:06 pm

If I'm Leipsic, I'm panicking about Tanner Pearson murdering me.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Yeah, he should be cut

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 pm

I refuse to google him to find out what happened.

Math

Postby Math » Thu May 07, 2020 7:02 am

According to the Flames' crew, it is almost certain that the season will resume in July...

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu May 07, 2020 7:48 am

ToddM wrote:I refuse to google him to find out what happened.

He was exposed.