Eastern Conf. bald predictions

Math

Eastern Conf. bald predictions

Postby Math » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:47 am

As the official season is about to start, here's some of my thoughts about the rankings per Division. I just kept it simple, no advanced stats or stuff like that involved, just a gut feeling. I start with the East, from bottom to top.

Metropolitan Division

8. New Jersey Devils
Subban is now on the team which is gonna cost at least 20 goals and their top players don't seem allowed to be let alone without supervision by an adult.

7. Columbus Blue Jackets
I love Tortorella but he averagely lasts three/four season in the same team, this season will be his fifth. Players begin seriously to be fed up with him, not to mention the FA exodus. "See, we will surprise a lot of people!" Uh no, I don't think so.

6. NY Islanders
No back-to-back cinderella runs. Never.

5. NY Rangers
More talent, still no depth. Can be a surprise but it won't be enough.

4. Carolina Hurricanes**
No more Justin Williams, the bunch of jerks still have a decent roster but the surprise effect will no more be there. I put them for the 2nd WC spot, just after the Kittens.

3. Philadelphia Flyers
I randomly picked a cinderella team in the east and it has fallen on the Flyers.

2. Pittsburgh Penguins
Because it's still the Pens. Crosby, Malkin, and no more Kessel, blah blah blah. Question mark: how many more feathers will they lost with their cap space issues?

1. Washington Capitals
First by deduction. With their roster, the first place shouldn't be avoided.

Atlantic Division

8. Ottawa Senators
Can this trainwreck finish back-to-back dead last in the league? I think they do. Build a new downtown arena, kick Melnyk out, and maybe better days will come. In the mean time...

7. Detroit Red Wings
Like in the late 80's, we begin to get used to list the Wings in the bottom of the rankings. I don't see a lot to say about them, but I have a lot of nothing to say. Still in rebuild mode, bringing Stevie back will translate into something better, but not now.

6. Buffalo Sabres
Putting gold on the jersey won't make this team shinier. But Krüger will manage to take the 100% out of this team, which means to a mere average team that will fail to make the playoffs again.

5. Montréal Canadiens
Two wins in a row in preseason games, and all their whorebotz fans believe now that they are legit SC contenders. No defense, no true #1 center, Domi and Tatar won't overplay like they did last season. With a goalie made of glass, once he's out, they will be officially toast.

4. Florida Panthers*
Quenneville, Bobrovski and Co., one of the best improved teams that will grab a WC spot for the playoffs, Their 153 fans will transform the BB&T Arena into one of the most hostile place to play in for the visitor team.

3. Toronto Maple Leafs
Team loaded with talent, but chokers as well. They may one of the most overrated coach in the league, but also one of the most underrated goalie.

2. Boston Bruins
I hate the Bruins, but love Bergeron and Marchand. They remain solid, still with some dinosaurs in their defense. Count on them to kick out again the Leafs in the 1st round

1. Tampa Bay Lighting
Probably not 62 wins again, but still enough to get the 1st place in the Conference.

* 1st Wild-Card
** 2nd Wild-Card

slaps

Re: Eastern Conf. bald predictions

Postby slaps » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:01 am

I desperately hope for Toronto to get knocked out in the first round again by the Bruins.

I think the Blue Jackets will be second only to Ottawa in badness.

I think the Rangers will do better. Panarin and Kakko are massive upgrades.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:52 am

I enjoyed the predictions. Can't say I see any major differences. Hard to think NJ will be last though... sure seems like they made enough changes to where they'd be better than that.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:04 am

I think New Jersey will be much better than last year (adding Hughes is huge), but not good enough for the playoffs just yet.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:32 am

Subban instantly makes NJ better... I'd say they're mediocre at worst. No idea if Hughes will pan out right away, but he seems legit.

The team I'm most curious about is Tampa. A LOT of really good teams overreacted to a fluke playoff loss and never recovered. I somehow expect this Tampa team to be more like that 90s Detroit team that won the regular season and got swept in the Finals... only to win like every other Cup after that for a decade. Those smarmy fucks.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:38 am

Except they go swept in the finals by a team that it turns out has some probably underrated players.

Blown out in the first round? Ugly.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:55 am

ATL
1. TO
2. TB
3. FLA

Metro
1. WAS
2. NYI
3. PIT*