2019 NHL Draft

Troy McClure

Re: 2019 NHL Draft

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:04 pm

Knives Out wrote:That *fargin'* old man just ruined that kid’s life.

I like how he showed up looking like he’d just finished up dinner at Golden Corral.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 pm

A few friends just texted me “HARLEY THOMAS!”.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 pm

I was going to post "no way Nill can *f-bomb* this up," but I didn't want to jinx it.

Damnit.

Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:08 pm

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:08 pm

So we drafted a defenseman that needs a lot of work on his defense. Great call.
Thoraly Birch.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 pm

See you in the 4th round.

Watching Suzuki, Höglander, and Mikko Kokkinen (LOL) get drafted is going to sting.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:12 pm

slaps wrote:Meh.

I’ve never heard of any of these guys...
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Jason wrote:

He’s gone. Lol

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:15 pm

Bust.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl- ... t-analysis

Simply, with the puck on his stick, Harley comes alive. He loves to create for his team and push the play up the ice. But it’s his play away from the puck that draws question marks.

It’s inconsistent. On certain nights, he alternates between being too passive, looking disengaged as he glides upright in and around the slot in his end; and being too aggressive in trying to pry away the puck from opponents. The defenceman has a tendency to take a few steps to challenge attackers head on while they face him, using sweeping pokechecks; this way rendering himself vulnerable against some of more talented handlers of the OHL.
Thoraly Birch.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
Jason wrote:

He’s gone. Lol

Let’s have B-Gags break the news to us.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 pm

BigAl wrote:Bust.

Simply, with the puck on his stick, Harley comes alive. He loves to create for his team and push the play up the ice. But it’s his play away from the puck that draws question marks.

It’s inconsistent. On certain nights, he alternates between being too passive, looking disengaged as he glides upright in and around the slot in his end; and being too aggressive in trying to pry away the puck from opponents. The defenceman has a tendency to take a few steps to challenge attackers head on while they face him, using sweeping pokechecks; this way rendering himself vulnerable against some of more talented handlers of the OHL.

Loved the audio. He didn’t want to play d, but his dad stuck him there. Uh... maybe sell yourself as loving your job.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Knives Out wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:
Jason wrote:

He’s gone. Lol

Let’s have B-Gags break the news to us.

“Zucc Matserello will be testing free agency.”

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:30 pm

That’s the guy I wanted the whole time. Yup.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 pm

He doesn't sound all that bad, really:

"A tremendously gifted skater possessing four-way dynamic mobility... gets up and down the ice more efficiently than any other defender in his class. Athletically gifted... utilizes his elite hockey sense, ability to read the play quickly and poise in possession to control the tempo of the game. It’s his swift skating that allows him to pounce on turnovers and quickly turn the play up the ice for a scoring chance... relies on his intelligence and sharp footwork to contain his opponents defensively and isn’t a liability, like most offensive defensemen can be."

"...an extremely mobile puck-rushing defenseman with a solid defensive game. He projects as a future power-play quarterback and top-four defenseman."

"Terrific skater, handles the puck extremely well. He's not too afraid to exit the zone with the puck. Great vision, solid escapability."

Spoiler:
So really--wait. These quotes are about Julius Honka. Damnit! Fooled again!

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:

He was ... uh... #14 on my board... I loved what I saw from Tim Hurley... he’s probably the best line changer I’ve ever scouted.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 pm

I think our next pick should be a guy that didn’t want to play hockey, but decided to because the lacrosse team was full.
Thoraly Birch.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:39 pm

ToddM wrote:He doesn't sound all that bad, really:

"A tremendously gifted skater possessing four-way dynamic mobility... gets up and down the ice more efficiently than any other defender in his class. Athletically gifted... utilizes his elite hockey sense, ability to read the play quickly and poise in possession to control the tempo of the game. It’s his swift skating that allows him to pounce on turnovers and quickly turn the play up the ice for a scoring chance... relies on his intelligence and sharp footwork to contain his opponents defensively and isn’t a liability, like most offensive defensemen can be."

"...an extremely mobile puck-rushing defenseman with a solid defensive game. He projects as a future power-play quarterback and top-four defenseman."

"Terrific skater, handles the puck extremely well. He's not too afraid to exit the zone with the puck. Great vision, solid escapability."

Spoiler:
So really--wait. These quotes are about Julius Honka. Damnit! Fooled again!

And it all comes down to production. If he can put up points, all else will be forgiven, which is Honka’s problem. Can’t be a shitty defender while also a shitty offender.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 pm

BigAl wrote:I think our next pick should be a guy that didn’t want to play hockey, but decided to because the lacrosse team was full.

Joe Niuewendyk already retired.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Troy McClure wrote:

He was ... uh... #14 on my board... I loved what I saw from Tim Hurley... he’s probably the best line changer I’ve ever scouted.

I actually had him at whatever spot he was just drafted at now. I’m super smart about these prospects.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 pm

BigAl wrote:I think our next pick should be a guy that didn’t want to play hockey, but decided to because the lacrosse team was full.

Joe Niuewendyk already retired.

Gary Roberts too.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Instead of drafting for talent maybe we should just draft the players with the most Irish sounding names.
Thoraly Birch.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:51 pm

BigAl wrote:Instead of drafting for talent maybe we should just draft the players with the most Irish sounding names.

Shanahan already retired.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Maybe we should draft players who have already retired.
Thoraly Birch.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 pm

The Lightning have a Foote fetish.
Gonna start their own Foote Clan.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 pm

BigAl wrote:Instead of drafting for talent maybe we should just draft the players with the most Irish sounding names.

Shanahan already retired.

Shaquille O’Neal too.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Troy McClure wrote:And it all comes down to production. If he can put up points, all else will be forgiven, which is Honka’s problem. Can’t be a shitty defender while also a shitty offender.

"Production" would be nice if hockey were a pure meritocracy, but it ain't. Monty and Bowness like "their" type of d-man, and avoid these Honka/Harley types like the plague.

Of course, Nill, Monty, and Bowness will long since have been fired in 4-5 years when Harley finally makes it out of the AHL, so it's a moot point.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Suzuki so handsome.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 pm

ToddM wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:And it all comes down to production. If he can put up points, all else will be forgiven, which is Honka’s problem. Can’t be a shitty defender while also a shitty offender.

"Production" would be nice if hockey were a pure meritocracy, but it ain't. Monty and Bowness like "their" type of d-man, and avoid these Honka/Harley types like the plague.

Of course, Nill, Monty, and Bowness will long since have been fired in 4-5 years when Harley finally makes it out of the AHL, so it's a moot point.

Monty and Bowness gave as much ice time as possible to Klingberg, Lindell, and Heiskanen, so that “not their type” excuse is bullshit. Honka stopped getting opportunities when he failed to do anything with the opportunities he was given.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 pm

At least Nill drafted someone who was ranked around where Nill picked him.