2019 NHL Off-Season thread

ScubaSteve

Re: 2019 NHL Off-Season thread

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:12 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Ha. That poor bastard.

Yeah, $4.75M wouldn’t even buy you a bunk in the help quarters at Frugal Manor.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:41 am

Also the fool paid so many taxes. Who are his accountants in the Caymans? Is he not getting the full deduction from orphans?

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:05 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Also the fool paid so many taxes. Who are his accountants in the Caymans? Is he not getting the full deduction from orphans?

His problem is all of his income is ordinary income from wages paid by an employer he has no control over. None of the fun tax shelters or income reclassifications work for people who make all of their money off of their labor.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 am

Looks like someone took a page out of the Dallas Stars 2007/13 design book:

Math

Postby Math » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Absolutely original !

This reminds me of a team somewhere playing probably in blue with the team's name written in diagonal, but I can't remember where I've seen those...

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Math

Postby Math » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:10 pm

The Good ol' WordArt days...

That's why the move to Denver was an absolute need.

Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:30 pm

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Quick list of RFA's still unsigned:

Laine
Marner
Rantanen

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:07 pm

I guess they can all be Seattle Wombats.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 pm

Brassard signed with the Islanders. Thornton is going back to the Sharks.

We should sign Maroon. For the BLOLZ.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Math

Postby Math » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:59 am

If only there were some hostile offers juste to shake things a little bit. As far as I loathe the Habs, at least they broke the "gentlemen's agreement" with Aho.

Screw all GMs that offered insane contracts to Draisaitl, Hayes, etc. They just killed bridge contracts that prevented somehow those kind of stupid situations with RFAs

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 am

Math wrote:Screw all GMs that offered insane contracts to Draisaitl, Hayes, etc. They just killed bridge contracts that prevented somehow those kind of stupid situations with RFAs

I can't think of a single team that wouldn't immediately take Draisaitl at 8 X $8MM now. It actually makes a ton more sense to pay RFAs (i.e., young player just entering the prime of their careers) market rate for what they will do as opposed to UFAs being paid for what they have done.

The Stars will likely (hopefully) immediately lock up Heiskanen for 8 years as soon as they can, and it will likely be for $7.5MM to $9MM or so. And that's perfectly fine for a premier defenseman entering into the prime of his career and that take him through that prime.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Math

Postby Math » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:31 am

slaps wrote:I can't think of a single team that wouldn't immediately take Draisaitl at 8 X $8MM now. It actually makes a ton more sense to pay RFAs (i.e., young player just entering the prime of their careers) market rate for what they will do as opposed to UFAs being paid for what they have done.

Right now, yes of course other GMs would do that. But I still think that the Draisaitl contract is a bad and symptomatic one. We entered a period where just one good season is sufficient to hit the jackpot. There will always be one guy to offer such contract and other GMs are obliged to follow and take part in outbidding and that's really not a good thing for the League in general. Sign a bridge contract, show that you can repeat great performances and not be an injury-prone type of player, and then why not giving you a 8-year/$11m per or even $12m because you would have totally deserved it. Moreover, the length time of the bridge contract allows both sides to discuss the future with no rush.

Besides that, I fully agree with the overpaid UFAs across the League.

slaps wrote:The Stars will likely (hopefully) immediately lock up Heiskanen for 8 years as soon as they can, and it will likely be for $7.5MM to $9MM or so. And that's perfectly fine for a premier defenseman entering into the prime of his career and that take him through that prime.

Market of that type of player is dry, The Stars have a chance to have him in the team. So as a D-man, I concur. I would still wait the potential sophomore year but I'm pretty confident about him. I'd like to see discussions starting with Klingberg about a contract extension. At less than $5m/yr right now, it's a steal.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:41 am

I think a reason players don’t like the bridge deal is that they often pay for a player’s most productive seasons at a rate far below the value the player is contributing.

I also think we see GMs not wanting to risk the way bridge deals often end up sending players to UFA status sooner because they annoy players to the point where they don’t follow the team-friendly bridge deal with a longer term contract.

By skipping the bridge deal, a team pays more for the next few seasons, but they also nail down a player they like long term through their peak years on a contract that is going to be more reasonable on the back end.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:56 am

Also, the cap generally goes up, and so do salaries. Look at Draisaitl - it looked like a bad move then, but it's going to be an immense bargain in a year or two with guys with lower production being paid more. It's been shown at plenty of times that it's probably a good idea to lock up a talented player early. See McKinnon, Nathan.

Getting cost certainty on a top talent for 7 or 8 years has value in and of itself. If you can get term at a fixed price, then you can plan your other moves.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Math

Postby Math » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

Yeah, true. And KcKinnon-like guys are no brainers.

For Draisaitl, only time will tell. Signing with the Oilers also seemed to be horrendous but with the new crew they have, maybe the color of their future will go from full black to dark grey...

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:12 am

Math wrote:Yeah, true. And KcKinnon-like guys are no brainers.

For Draisaitl, only time will tell. Signing with the Oilers also seemed to be horrendous but with the new crew they have, maybe the color of their future will go from full black to dark grey...

There is a gamble. It requires a lot of trust in your own scouting abilities.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 am

I think all these 7 and 8 year deals are going to make the league *fargin'* boring in the next few years as teams are just all locked down to 2 or 3 guys forever.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Math wrote:Yeah, true. And KcKinnon-like guys are no brainers.

McKinnon wasn't a no-brainer. He had done OK to that point, but nothing spectacular.

Signing with the Oilers....well, you get what you get if you do that.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Draisatl had 50 goals and 105 points last year. How is he not worth $8 mil/year?

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:40 pm

He absolutely is. I think Mr. Math's issue is that the Oilers skipped the bridge deal and went straight to the $8MM/year deal. But if they'd done a bridge deal that expires, say, end of this upcoming season, and Draisaitl gets anywhere close to the same numbers, what does he get then? $10MM? $11MM? Panarin just got $11.5MM and centers are worth more than wingers.

The bridge deal makes sense for in-between guys, or a guy like Binnington who is mid-to-late 20's without a proven track record. A young top-5 draft selection? Odds are pretty good you should just go ahead and lock them up long-term as soon as is possible.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:02 pm

I guess, playing around with totally made-up numbers, a 3 year bridge deal with Draistatl would still be pretty expensive. He was just 20 and coming off a 77 point season... so there's no way he's taking less than $6 mil, right? Then three years and a shitload of points later, the Oilers would probably have to pony up Panarin-type money, or higher.

So... and this is weird to say out loud... the Oilers actually made a pretty smart front office move. Guuh. Feels weird just typing that.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:21 pm

We saw it with Klingberg, too. If you're confident in a guy, take the shot. Sometimes you'll miss, but if you're at all confident in the ability to evaluate talent**, then it should pay off way more than it doesn't work out.

** So maybe the Stars shouldn't do this.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Math

Postby Math » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:41 pm

One hundred and *fargin'* five points ?!?! I am so busted.

Even though I confirm my unstandable position of "signing that contract at that time" was overrated. I dig, I dig...

If in 3 or 4 years the german maintain that efficiency, ok I will bend over, asking for redemption in front of the Lord of the Ice.

(But damnit, Chiarelli is responsible for that. Life is so unfair)

Like ToddM said, it's really weird to put "Oilers", "decent" and "optimism" in the same sentence. With a brand new directory in place, maybe there's some hope there, with the condition that all rotten parts are definitely removed for good, from the ownership to the management and the locker room.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:44 am

Not really NHL or off-season, but I thought this was cool and an interesting idea:

Slaps has upvoted BKat.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 am

Are they going to do what soccer does and scale up field size as the kids get older?

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:33 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Are they going to do what soccer does and scale up field size as the kids get older?

Yes. At the mite level, kids are essentially playing 3 on 3 cross-ice. You can have 3 games going on a single sheet of ice. The net is also a smaller goal more appropriate for that size of child. Part of the theory is it allows more touches, more action and more engagement. If you put tiny kids on full ice, it is much easier for the game to be dominated by one kid and the others never see the puck.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 am

cdanew wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Are they going to do what soccer does and scale up field size as the kids get older?

Yes. At the mite level, kids are essentially playing 3 on 3 cross-ice. You can have 3 games going on a single sheet of ice. The net is also a smaller goal more appropriate for that size of child. Part of the theory is it allows more touches, more action and more engagement. If you put tiny kids on full ice, it is much easier for the game to be dominated by one kid and the others never see the puck.

There are even some adult 3 on 3 leagues. It's supposed to work wonders for improving skating and stick handling because you are never just moving in a straight line. You're always stopping and turning with and without the puck. I was interested in it, but the people who run starscenters hate their customers and don't respond to things like phone calls and emails.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:42 am

Kids in soccer always start out in 4 vs 4 because they've known it helps develop skills for like 100 years, and there are 4 vs. 4 leagues into adulthood.

It's funny to me if hockey is just now figuring this out.