May 7th Game 7 Stars at Blues 7 pm

cdanew

Re: May 7th Game 7 Stars at Blues 7 pm

Postby cdanew » Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Yeah - Polak was never meant to be a 2nd pairing option. He exceeded expectations from that standpoint if you remember he was supposed to be a 6/7.

Given where the Stars started the season, rookie head coach, lack of depth scoring and injuries on defense, I'd say they did pretty f'ing good to take what might be the best team in the league for the last four months to OT in a game 7.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue May 07, 2019 11:48 pm

The real question for me is, what actually does happen to Nill? They had moderate success which complicates matters. But, I still think he should be gone.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue May 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Yeah, this team really had no business even making the playoffs. This was overachieving by any measure.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 am

Nill brought in Zucc, which probably bought him a two-year extension.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 am

ScubaSteve wrote:Yeah, this team really had no business even making the playoffs. This was overachieving by any measure.

They wouldn't have made the playoffs if they'd been in the Eastern Conference and it showed in this game.

Full marks to Ben Bishop for hanging on as long as he did.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 am

Ben Bishop deserves a medal after that performance.

I feel bad for him that he was hung out to dry like that.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 am

The Stars were the better team thru five games, but the Blues wore ‘em down. If the Stars are kicking themselves it should be for their game 6 performance. Overall, good showing, for Bishop great showing.

Now back to normal, rooting for another team. :(

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:16 am

I know Benn got *poo poo* on in this thread, but Seguin was basically invisible last night as well. He needs to overhaul his training regimen to regain some speed because as it is, he doesn't really drive play at all.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 am

wonko80 wrote:I know Benn got *poo poo* on in this thread, but Seguin was basically invisible last night as well. He needs to overhaul his training regimen to regain some speed because as it is, he doesn't really drive play at all.

https://theathletic.com/967089/2019/05/ ... in-game-7/

The Stars’ best players weren’t their best players in this series, and that’s one of the biggest reasons they didn’t advance.

Benn, Seguin and Radulov combined for just four goals in the series, and just one came at even strength. In Game 7, when the Stars needed an offensive force to take over, they didn’t get it.

That trio deserves a ton of credit for helping Dallas reach the second round. They ripped the Predators apart in Round 1, but they need to shoulder the responsibility for what could have been in Round 2.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 08, 2019 8:28 am

Benn was injured. It was obvious last night. He couldn't skate. Not sure about the other two.

Leonardo da Vinci

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 am

What's kind of interesting is I don't think the Blues best players were their best players either.

And with respect to the Stars top guys being shut down, yeah, they needed to be better. I agree - Benn looked like he was fighting an injury. But give some credit to the Blues too - it wasn't just the Stars that they have clamped down on.

Shabazz Jenkins

Postby Shabazz Jenkins » Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 am

The top lines cancelled each other out, essentially. And the Blues had the definitive advantage in size, which really negated the 14-47 dominance we saw against Nashville. StL is a tough as hell out for any team, as constructed. They have been for a decade.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed May 08, 2019 9:17 am

Not that it mattered, but inserting Ritchie into the lineup was a bad move. Janmark or even Pitlick were much better options. I get that he was put in for his size and physicality, but these Stars were never gonna play the Blues’ game. Janmark is so much faster and more useful in different situations. And he was supposedly healthy.

oglethorpe

Postby oglethorpe » Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:Polak is fine depth. But, I def. don't want to see him on the 2nd pair again.

I think a lot of what happens with Polak and Lovejoy will be dependent on the status of Stephen Johns. Looking at the UFA D-men available for depth guys, a couple stick out as possibilities if needed. Tyler Myers, only 29, big, a better version of Oleksiak, for depth he wouldn't be bad, but might be a bit pricey. Bringing Polak or Lovejoy back as bottom pair guys is fine with me, Polak held up way better than I expected all things considered, but was definitely overexposed. Patrik Nemeth is out there as well, any chance they might bring him back, again, still relatively young. Just some thoughts....Ideally Johns comes back healthy and that causes a lot of other things to fall into place with the D, he slots in on the second and others move down a slot, solves a lot of issues if that can come to fruition.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 08, 2019 11:08 am

Agreed. I hope Johns makes it back. I think Polak is fine as long as he is the 6th or 7th d man. Fedun should be gone. Lovejoy is fine as 5 or 6.

Leonardo da Vinci

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am

Johns is relatively young and was unable to overcome his injury after an entire year. I'm not holding my breath.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:Benn was injured. It was obvious last night. He couldn't skate. Not sure about the other two.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed May 08, 2019 11:30 am

The Stars' Number One Cheerleader painting a rosy picture for the next four seasons with Captain Horseshit and his $9.5 million salary cap hit:

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 11:36 am

What else do you do? His contract can’t be moved or bought out.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 pm

They need to bring in more offensive depth so he shift down to a second-line role and hopefully be more effective with fewer minutes.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Troy McClure wrote:What else do you do? His contract can’t be moved or bought out.

Sit around and say “I told you so” about how we should’ve traded him three years ago.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 08, 2019 12:23 pm

slaps wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:Benn was injured. It was obvious last night. He couldn't skate. Not sure about the other two.

I do honestly feel bad for the guy. I used to think it was a semi-willful lack of effort, but I'm starting to think he simply can't give the effort anymore.
Last edited by SaintAngerBH on Wed May 08, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:What else do you do? His contract can’t be moved or bought out.

Sit around and say “I told you so” about how we should’ve traded him three years ago.

I know I called for it in October of 2017. I swear I had posted about it earlier too.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9717&p=482954&hilit=trade+benn#p482954

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 1:13 pm

slaps wrote:They need to bring in more offensive depth so he shift down to a second-line role and hopefully be more effective with fewer minutes.

The third line was interesting. In a lot of ways, Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau looked good with their defensive play, but holy crap I just looked at their stats. All three played all 13 games. Here are their point totals: 2 - 1 - 2. Three dudes who all played good minutes in every game combined for three goals and five points. Man, that hurts. I'm not expecting big production, but Faksa with no goals and one assist *fargin'* sucks.

And I've had enough Spezza. He was terrible last night. He had a couple of nice games, but overall, he did generated little offense and was awful defensively.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
slaps wrote:They need to bring in more offensive depth so he shift down to a second-line role and hopefully be more effective with fewer minutes.

The third line was interesting. In a lot of ways, Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau looked good with their defensive play, but holy crap I just looked at their stats. All three played all 13 games. Here are their point totals: 2-1-2. Three dudes who all played good minutes in every game combined for three goals and five points. Man, that hurts. I'm not expecting big production, but Faksa with no goals and one assist *fargin'* sucks.

And I've had enough Spezza. He was terrible last night. He had a couple of nice games, but overall, he did generated little offense and was awful defensively.

You’re selling that line short. Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau in this playoffs was the best shutdown line I’ve seen from this team in years. Their puck pursuit was amazing. Nashville couldn’t even break out of their own zone when that line was out. Yeah, a little bit more offense from them would’ve been nice given how many turnovers they were able to force, but I was pretty pleased with that line through the whole playoffs.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm trying not to. I love what they did without the puck, but they've got to chip in more. You can't have both your third and fourth lines producing no offense.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Fortunately, upgrading third and fourth lines in an offseason is a much easier task than top-6 players.

I know people *poo poo* on the Cogliano trade, but that was a hell of an improvement over Shore. Shore is fine, I guess, but I think there is something the "leadership" aspect of players, though not as much as the teams hype it up.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Who is shitting on the Cogliano trade? That was a great trade.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 08, 2019 1:47 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Who is shitting on the Cogliano trade? That was a great trade.

A number of posters here did.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 08, 2019 1:51 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Who is shitting on the Cogliano trade? That was a great trade.

It wasn't great. It was fine. He's going to be 32, produces zero offense, has two more years on his contract, and is the highest paid of his linemates. He's a very good penalty killer and defensive forward, but his contract is why he was traded.