5/5 Game 6 vs. STL

mookie1010
Site Admin

Re: 5/5 Game 6 vs. STL

Postby mookie1010 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:54 pm

He's saying they got it wrong...
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

Getsmacked123

Postby Getsmacked123 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Just gotta win one game at their house. Sounds simple.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun May 05, 2019 4:55 pm

mookie1010 wrote:He's saying they got it wrong...

Interesting. Well, it's too late now.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun May 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Dallas looked sluggish the whole game to me anyway. I was expecting them to lose even before that goal.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun May 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Getsmacked123 wrote:Just gotta win one game at their house. Sounds simple.

In hindsight, winning three in a row was a bit much to ask. But winning one? We can do that.

Again, I take solace in the fact that Bishop’s stats the very next game after shitting the bed remain sparkling.

They eliminated us in 7 on home ice the last time around, it’s only fair that we repay the favour.

The math and percentages are still on our side.
Hockey gonna hockey.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm

What are Bishop's numbers when his backup has to play game seven for him?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Ice was awful again, which didn’t help, but the Stars didn’t help themselves much either. This wasn’t even the Blues best game.

Getsmacked123

Postby Getsmacked123 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm

I agree Knives, as angry I was at that bs, stars gotta play stars hockey and big Ben gotta be that big Ben.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun May 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Troy McClure wrote:What are Bishop's numbers when his backup has to play game seven for him?

Technically a shutout.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun May 05, 2019 5:11 pm

If he even plays.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun May 05, 2019 5:44 pm

:joke

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun May 05, 2019 5:57 pm

It's cool either way. I didn't even expect the Stars to be in the playoffs. Losing in the second round in 7 games this time would feel like success. It didn't in 2016 because we were the top seed.

Leonardo da Vinci

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Man. I hate St. Louis sports and their teams. All 2 of them. They game 6’d the Rangers in '11 and it was one of the lowest moments in my sports life. I was there in '16 for game 7 aka the Kari special, and that isn't far behind. Their fans are assholes who act like they invented fandom. The media treats them like they're from the original 6, and like they have 8 cups. I'm so *Dang ol'* over St. Louis and their teams.

The dude that laid me off last year - yep - St. Louis guy. Huge sports fan, and loved to needle me about all the *poo poo* above.

We need this next one, fellas.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun May 05, 2019 7:48 pm

The series supervisor was an NHL goaltender for nine seasons:

Another former goaltender didn't even think it was significant enough to give an opinion on whether the referees erred on the play in his post-game comments:

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun May 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Such bullshit. If that had happened to Binnington, I'd have wanted a whistle there. Because if we'd won the series on a cheap-ass injury goal...

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun May 05, 2019 8:59 pm

ToddM wrote:Such bullshit. If that had happened to Binnington, I'd have wanted a whistle there. Because if we'd won the series on a cheap-ass injury goal...

The Blues were already leading by a goal so no one can say they won the game because of that goal.
Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:Great leadership

My God.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sun May 05, 2019 9:54 pm

So really, aiming to injure a goaltender is now a perfectly viable strategy.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun May 05, 2019 11:39 pm

slaps wrote:So really, aiming to injure a goaltender is now a perfectly viable strategy.

It was a shot on goal. That's perfectly fine. Shooting high is great to do if you can do it. Most can't. Not that hard.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon May 06, 2019 7:12 am

Troy McClure wrote:
slaps wrote:So really, aiming to injure a goaltender is now a perfectly viable strategy.

It was a shot on goal. That's perfectly fine. Shooting high is great to do if you can do it. Most can't. Not that hard.

But if a goalie is hurt on a shot and writhing in pain and unable to play, and the decision is to let the play continue, why wouldn't you try it?

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 am

Remember Jeremy Roenick basically advocated that against Bishop earlier in these playoffs.

(But no - I don't think Parayko was trying to injure Bishop. It was just a rocket of a shot that caught Bishop in a bad spot. And for some of those idiots I've seen in comments to various articles who were saying Bishop was embellishing on that, just F right off.)

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon May 06, 2019 9:28 am

cdanew wrote:

Remember Jeremy Roenick basically advocated that against Bishop earlier in these playoffs.

(But no - I don't think Parayko was trying to injure Bishop. It was just a rocket of a shot that caught Bishop in a bad spot. And for some of those idiots I've seen in comments to various articles who were saying Bishop was embellishing on that, just F right off.)

I don't think that Parayko was trying to hurt Bishop at all. But now that the refs have established that they won't blow a play dead when the goalie is injured, is that now a strategy (even unspoken) for some teams? The goalie is treated differently than everyone else on the ice for checking and almost everything else in the rules - he should be here as well.

And if Bishop was embellishing:

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon May 06, 2019 9:32 am

Why would someone flop over a shot? Are people really that *fargin'* stupid?

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 am

ToddM wrote:Are people really that *fargin'* stupid?

This is the internet we are talking about ...

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am

slaps wrote:
cdanew wrote:

I don't think that Parayko was trying to hurt Bishop at all. But now that the refs have established that they won't blow a play dead when the goalie is injured, is that now a strategy (even unspoken) for some teams? The goalie is treated differently than everyone else on the ice for checking and almost everything else in the rules - he should be here as well.

And if Bishop was embellishing:

I actually think it will be have the opposite effect. I think this will teach goaltenders to immediately throw off their masks when they think they're injured to make sure they get the whistle. Which is a bad habit to promote if you ask me. But it's the same thing we teach the kids in soccer - the only way to get the whistle is to go to the ground. If a kid takes a shot the head but stands holding her face, no whistle. As soon as she goes to the ground, play is stopped.

In this case though, the fact that Bishop stayed in after being attended supports the refs decision. I actually think the rule should be clarified - let's say the refs had blown the play dead, disallowed the goal and Bishop stayed in after being attended to. Much as I hate them, had that happened, Blues fans would have been justifiably outraged. IMO if they blow the play dead, the player has to come out of the game.

Also, I wonder whether there should be special consideration for an injured goalie vs. other players on the ice.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am

There should absolutely be special consideration for an injured goalie. Goalies are treated differently in a number of ways (can't be checked, don't serve their own penalties), and no one else can step in and take over for an injured goalie during play while they go to the bench.

And whether or not Bishop stayed on the bench is irrelevant.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:56 am

slaps wrote:And whether or not Bishop stayed on the bench is irrelevant.

The word they use in the second part of the rule is "serious injury." I think that a serious injury would mean you can't play for at least some period of time immediately following that injury.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 am

mookie1010 wrote:
slaps wrote:And whether or not Bishop stayed on the bench is irrelevant.

The word they use in the second part of the rule is "serious injury." I think that a serious injury would mean you can't play for at least some period of time immediately following that injury.

But the refs have no way of knowing whether it actually is serious in the moment. They have to go by what they know right then and there, and a goalie laying on the ice clutching his shoulder in the fetal position, writhing in pain, and completely ignoring play sure seems like a serious injury.

It also has the potential to be a much more serious injury. What if Parayko tees up another shot along the ice and hits Bishop because he isn't involved in the play?