5/3 Game 5 @ STL

One_Timer

Re: 5/3 Game 5 @ STL

Postby One_Timer » Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 am

I love to read the opposing teams newspaper online after a loss. Some are paywalled, and others aren’t.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 04, 2019 1:38 am

Looks like the blue line depth is taking a beating. Oleksiak, Hanley, and Fedun all were too hurt to play.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 04, 2019 1:41 am

Check out how gassed Hintz is after the final horn.

And the boos are delicious.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat May 04, 2019 1:48 am

Troy McClure wrote:Looks like the blue line depth is taking a beating. Oleksiak, Hanley, and Fedun all were too hurt to play.

It’d be pretty hilarious if Methot or Johns randomly became ready to go at some point.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 am

Knives Out wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Looks like the blue line depth is taking a beating. Oleksiak, Hanley, and Fedun all were too hurt to play.

It’d be pretty hilarious if Methot or Johns randomly became ready to go at some point.

Oh yeah

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat May 04, 2019 1:58 am

ToddM wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:NBC is having to begrudgingly admit now that the Stars are pretty damned good at a few things.

I laughed at that too when they started doing it. Of course they then immediately jinxed Bishop with their uninspired, forced praise.

So far they have mentioned that the blues were the best team in the west in the second half of the season at least 72 times.

They have mentioned that the Stars were the second best not once.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 04, 2019 4:08 am

Knives Out wrote:

Can a guy come off of LTIR for the playoffs? Obviously, I've not had to keep up with playoff roster rules for several years.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 04, 2019 4:10 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
ToddM wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:NBC is having to begrudgingly admit now that the Stars are pretty damned good at a few things.

I laughed at that too when they started doing it. Of course they then immediately jinxed Bishop with their uninspired, forced praise.

So far they have mentioned that the blues were the best team in the west in the second half of the season at least 72 times.

They have mentioned that the Stars were the second best not once.

It would also be nice to hear about how every prognosticator, including all but maybe one advanced stat need, picked the Blues to curb stomp the Stars.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat May 04, 2019 7:56 am

As one person put it to me yesterday, before the game, “The Stars aren’t going quietly into the night.”

All the articles are rightfully focusing on Bishop’s play, but I thought the Stars did a great job taking the physical play the Blues dished but still controlling the puck for large stretches and creating dangerous plays. And Roope is a STUD.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sat May 04, 2019 8:09 am

I really want the hockey media pundits to keep on picking our opponents to win.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 am

B Kat wrote:As one person put it to me yesterday, before the game, “The Stars aren’t going quietly into the night.”

All the articles are rightfully focusing on Bishop’s play, but I thought the Stars did a great job taking the physical play the Blues dished but still controlling the puck for large stretches and creating dangerous plays. And Roope is a STUD.

Yeah, the Blues' entire strategy in the first period seemed a little cro-magnon. "Hit em hard, and often, and who cares about the puck?" I think it tired them out more than us, because they were making all sorts of Bishop-esque puckhandling and mental mistakes out there the rest of the game.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat May 04, 2019 8:50 am

One_Timer wrote:I really want the hockey media pundits to keep on picking our opponents to win.

I really don’t blame them fo picking St. Louis but some more acknowledgement for some really amazing guys on our team would be good.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
One_Timer wrote:I really want the hockey media pundits to keep on picking our opponents to win.

I really don’t blame them fo picking St. Louis but some more acknowledgement for some really amazing guys on our team would be good.

It’s strange and kinda sad. The national hockey pundits I are entirely ignoring this series. My favorite hockey podcast had all three hosts say they didn’t watch any of the Dallas-Nashville series. A guy like DownGoesBrown has only written or posted one thing about the Stars so far in the playoffs and that was to complain about Lindell’s diving.

I’m not looking for praise or confirmation, but I hoped I’d see these writers who analyze the game for a living give some thoughts about how the Stars are playing. And there’s nothing except some occasional praise for Heiskanen. It’s like the hockey world is in mourning about their favorite teams being eliminated early, and they’re almost refusing to put in the work to get to know the teams still in it.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat May 04, 2019 9:31 am

This is why I tuned out all of those people years ago. I refuse to support them.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:38 am

I don't really blame the national media. The Stars have been an afterthought of a franchise for a long time now. They had that one good season under Ruff when people paid attention to them, but then the next year they were terrible so people just wrote them off as not worth it.

For most of this season, they honestly weren't worth covering. But they've played great in the playoffs and it does kinda suck that no one has really watched at all.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 04, 2019 9:50 am

wonko80 wrote:I don't really blame the national media. The Stars have been an afterthought of a franchise for a long time now. They had that one good season under Ruff when people paid attention to them, but then the next year they were terrible so people just wrote them off as not worth it.

For most of this season, they honestly weren't worth covering. But they've played great in the playoffs and it does kinda suck that no one has really watched at all.

I know. It just feels like laziness to not want to spend time covering these wild card teams all out of spite over the favorites being bounced early.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Sat May 04, 2019 10:03 am

It's because we don't have Hamilton the Pig to draw the national media attention.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 am

It's their loss, really. This series and the Nashville series are very hard fought, which is the best kind of hockey.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat May 04, 2019 10:26 am

The Stars are absolutely riding a hot goalie, but almost every successful playoff team does that. At the same time, they don’t look out of place or like they have somehow lucked into the playoffs. They look like a defensive machine, and they look like they’ve all completely bought in to what Montgomery is asking.
Knives Out wrote:Slaps, you're a mongoloid and I've been ignoring most of your posts since the ADSP days.

I'm thinking it might be time to blow it all up.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat May 04, 2019 11:11 am

If they do happen to get far enough, Bishop is by far the Conn Smythe candidate. No question.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 pm

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim's sweep of the Minnesota Wild in the 2003 Western Conference Final would be the last playoff series before this one between two more irrelevant NHL franchises that no one outside of either's fanbase cared about.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere allowed only a power-play goal by Andrew Brunette in the first period of Game 4 in stopping 122 of the 123 shots he faced in the series.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Sat May 04, 2019 1:53 pm

The vast majority of playoff series involve teams that only 2 fanbases really care about. It's hockey.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat May 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Knives Out wrote:Slaps, you're a mongoloid and I've been ignoring most of your posts since the ADSP days.

I'm thinking it might be time to blow it all up.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Tell you what, Ben Lovejoy gives a good interview. He has, like, actual opinions and says things that are interesting.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 pm

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sat May 04, 2019 11:38 pm

Everybody *goddesses* about Polak, but it’s a fact that he’s a key contributor to this team’s success.

Miro and Roman are going to be buds for a long time, regardless of team affiliation.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun May 05, 2019 2:32 am

wonko80 wrote:Tell you what, Ben Lovejoy gives a good interview. He has, like, actual opinions and says things that are interesting.

Lovejoy= Love+Joy. Media, like, darling.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun May 05, 2019 3:19 am

One_Timer wrote:Everybody *goddesses* about Polak, but it’s a fact that he’s a key contributor to this team’s success.

Miro and Roman are going to be buds for a long time, regardless of team affiliation.

True. There is literally no one else on the team who has the ability to slightly push a guy while stumbling over our prone 19 year wunderkind. The Blues forwards must have been paralyzed with fear after seeing that.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun May 05, 2019 3:20 am

One_Timer wrote:
wonko80 wrote:Tell you what, Ben Lovejoy gives a good interview. He has, like, actual opinions and says things that are interesting.

Lovejoy= Love+Joy. Media, like, darling.

Definitely a better quote than Ben Lovehitler.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun May 05, 2019 12:51 pm

No doubt.