5/1 Game 4 vs. St. Louis

slaps

Re: 5/1 Game 4 vs. St. Louis

Postby slaps » Thu May 02, 2019 11:08 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
slaps wrote:Pretty sure "bleeding" falls into the definition of "injury." And per the rulebook, it's not optional, it's automatic.

It doesn't.

In every commentator's assessment, the key is whether the slash "drew blood" (not the actual rule) and not whether it "injured" the player (the actual rule).

80% of the time it's a surface nick or scratch. If the player is actually harmed, I agree with the penalty being assessed.

This misinterpretation of the rule leads to abuse and stupidity.

If anything, limiting it only to "drew blood" is more limiting than following the actual rule. By saying just "injury," it should apply to anything that actually causes any injury which is super broad. But if you're, you know, bleeding, that's without question an "injury."
Knives Out wrote:Slaps, you're a mongoloid and I've been ignoring most of your posts since the ADSP days.

I'm thinking it might be time to blow it all up.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:09 am

I'm with Frugal on this in principle - half the time, the player gets a layer of liquid skin and doesn't miss a shift. That's not an injury.

HOWEVER - they are consistent with the application, so I'm OK with it.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu May 02, 2019 11:11 am

slaps wrote:If anything, limiting it only to "drew blood" is more limiting than following the actual rule. By saying just "injury," it should apply to anything that actually causes any injury which is super broad. But if you're, you know, bleeding, that's without question an "injury."

Exactly. The vagueness once again means it's up the refs interpretation.

I see your point though that this way it’s at least something the refs can consistently apply. Maybe that is better than the alternative.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 02, 2019 11:32 am

I like Razor's idea - if you're going to assess additional minutes based on "injury," then it shouldn't apply if the guy you "injured" is able to play on the ensuing power play.
Knives Out wrote:Slaps, you're a mongoloid and I've been ignoring most of your posts since the ADSP days.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu May 02, 2019 11:33 am

slaps wrote:I like Razor's idea - if you're going to assess additional minutes based on "injury," then it shouldn't apply if the guy you "injured" is able to play on the ensuing power play.

Not bad.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 02, 2019 11:51 am

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Seems like diving is actually pretty common place. It's the only way to guarantee a penalty. The shock and awe over this seems a bit over the top. We see this all the time. We see that guys getting actually hurt can make a big difference in this league. Caused SJ to win in the first round. Also, "drawing blood" is apparently an unwritten rule that warrants another 2 minutes. This is actually not a rule in the NHL even though the league and commentators treat it as if it is. And it's *fargin'* ridiculous.

You can't just keep skating and expect to get a call. Cause no one calls anything. A crosscheck in the back is totally fine if noone is hurt. We see it every game.

This should be easy to solve. Call actual penalties.

Too scary though for the refs.

Who was it that brought up the fact that the Armstrong teams of the 00's refused to cheat despite the fact that every other team was cheating come playoff time?

Glad that philosophy is out the window.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:I hate to say it, but it looked to me like Bishop dove pretty hard on that slash behind the net. Yes, he DID get slashed, but looked more like a drive by tap than a two-handed chop or anything. And goalies have plenty of padding on their back.

Bishop dives every times he’s touched, so it is impossible to ever say when it’s serious or not.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Seems like diving is actually pretty common place. It's the only way to guarantee a penalty. The shock and awe over this seems a bit over the top. We see this all the time. We see that guys getting actually hurt can make a big difference in this league. Caused SJ to win in the first round. Also, "drawing blood" is apparently an unwritten rule that warrants another 2 minutes. This is actually not a rule in the NHL even though the league and commentators treat it as if it is. And it's *fargin'* ridiculous.

You can't just keep skating and expect to get a call. Cause no one calls anything. A crosscheck in the back is totally fine if noone is hurt. We see it every game.

This should be easy to solve. Call actual penalties.

Too scary though for the refs.

Who was it that brought up the fact that the Armstrong teams of the 00's refused to cheat despite the fact that every other team was cheating come playoff time?

Glad that philosophy is out the window.

Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 02, 2019 12:12 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Btw, one small pet peeve that’s bugging the crap out if me.

We gonna score on any of these breakaways?

When it’s not Janmark/Cogliano getting 95% of the breakaways.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu May 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Seguin, Benn, and Radulov have allmissed breakaways this playoffs. Try a normal shot guys.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:31 pm

I think it's a big deal because Lindell flopped down multiple times, including when he was shoved in the chest once the penalty was called. I'm quite sure he can resists a shove in the chest better than that. So if he'd only had one dive and it was a penalty, maybe it wouldn't be mocked quite as much as if he did it, then did it again, then one last time after the whistle for good measure.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 02, 2019 1:38 pm

People are describing Hanley's play as "boring," which I guess is accurate. He didn't look completely flummoxed and bad at hockey, so that's a step up.

5minmajor

Postby 5minmajor » Thu May 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Btw, one small pet peeve that’s bugging the crap out if me.

We gonna score on any of these breakaways?

When it’s not Janmark/Cogliano getting 95% of the breakaways.

Why start now? They've only scored on maybe 1 breakaway all year.
I think it was Janmark the last week of the reg season.
"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:I hate to say it, but it looked to me like Bishop dove pretty hard on that slash behind the net. Yes, he DID get slashed, but looked more like a drive by tap than a two-handed chop or anything. And goalies have plenty of padding on their back.

Bishop dives every times he’s touched, so it is impossible to ever say when it’s serious or not.

Every goalie does. It’s a thing; I assume that they are faking because of it.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu May 02, 2019 3:03 pm

slaps wrote:People are describing Hanley's play as "boring," which I guess is accurate. He didn't look completely flummoxed and bad at hockey, so that's a step up.

He got almost 13 minutes, so that says a lot. And it's helpful for the top guys, cuz their minutes have been ridic.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu May 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Oh yeah. I meant to ask that yesterday.

Who the *f-bomb* is Hanley?

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu May 02, 2019 3:22 pm

I don't know.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu May 02, 2019 3:32 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:Oh yeah. I meant to ask that yesterday.

Who the *f-bomb* is Hanley?

Primarily an AHL guy - played 20-something NHL games spread out over multiple seasons. 27 years old. Had 28 points in 60 games for the Texas Stars this season.

And there is this:

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 02, 2019 3:37 pm

He definitely deserves to be in over Fedun.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:46 pm

So Hanley was fine at first during the regular season then his play really started to slip. Hopefully that's not the case this time around. He was good last night. I saw multiple good defensive plays from him.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Thu May 02, 2019 4:25 pm

I like Fedun better.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 02, 2019 4:29 pm

I like Oleksiak better than both and that scares me.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 am

https://westwoodonesports.com/2019/05/stanley-cup-playoff-highlights-stars-top-blues-4-2-to-even-series/?fbclid=IwAR1kI9gabqnUhkLtBzeSCzncyEsUl7OBHcXkkQ_ZejHCFn_cKanJrDq-qeU

Looks like Ralph Strangis called game 4 on the radio side.

This makes me miss him. He sounds a lot like he did back in the late-90's. His enthusiasm is back.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 am

I like Josh and Razor. It's not quite as good as Ralph and Razor, but it's the best its been since Ralph left.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 03, 2019 11:44 am

I still think Josh sounds like that weather dude on Youtube lol

Leonardo da Vinci

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri May 03, 2019 12:07 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:I still think Josh sounds like that weather dude on Youtube lol

Frankie Macdonald. And yeah, that's something you can't unhear.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm

He sccccooooorrreeesss....wahhh ba bam ba bam bamm.....

Leonardo da Vinci

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sat May 04, 2019 1:26 am

ToddM wrote:Remember that article about how the NHL only pays attention to, like, four teams?

Here's the inevitable, hilarious result:

Cogliano wasn’t requested or scheduled to speak but was in the dressing room talking to Brett Ritchie when Stars PR told media members to enter the room and that Benn would be speaking first on the right side of the room.

Television cameras stormed into the right side of the room and surrounded Cogliano and immediately started asking him questions. Maybe it was being quick to draw or maybe it was them not recognizing that Cogliano wasn’t Benn.

I’m pretty sure tonight I saw a graphic for Lindell but with Scratchie’s picture instead ...
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.