04/29 Game 3 vs St. Louis (7pm) - SNUBBED

ToddM

Re: 04/29 Game 3 vs St. Louis (7pm) - SNUBBED

Postby ToddM » Wed May 01, 2019 12:40 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:I'll defer to the people who watch these players practice every single day. If Honka or Hanley were actually a better option than Polak, they'd be in.

Fortunately for us, there were like 15 highly paid professionals in Boston who saw Seguin in practice every single day and thought he sucked.

oglethorpe

Postby oglethorpe » Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm

B Kat wrote:And those players are doing alright. Here we are in the second round.

@Bob. No ref was gonna call the Cogliano trip on Schenn to give a team a 5-3 at that point, even in a regular season game. A ref may have called the cross check on Maroon, but again, at that point in a playoff game, not likely. The reffing was very inconsistent in the game, we can all agree on that. That your Blues were the better team has nothing to do with inconsistent calls. Let’s hope they are better tonight.

Well said, I said all along the Stars deserved to lose, they did not play a good game and were lucky to even be in it, IMHO. However, the bottom line of that game from an officiating standpoint was that it was a brutal, terribly officiated game, some of the calls they made were ridiculous, others were "how do they not call that" types. Notice I did not specify a team, I thought it was bad all the way around. I have always hated the argument of "playoff hockey", I know refs don't want to decide the game, but a penalty in game one, should be a penalty in game 7 of the cup finals. I don't want ticky tack *poo poo* called, but I do want them to call the rules. And the disparity in the way one game is reffed to the next in terms or what is or isn't a penalty is what drives me insane. Just call it the same all the time and the players will adjust, if they don't, its on them. I know some of it is the human element and judgement, but often the difference in standards from game to game is way to much to attribute to just that.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm

The officiating has been awful for the entire postseason for basically every game of every series.
I still think Lindell dove, though.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed May 01, 2019 3:13 pm

B Kat wrote:@Bob. No ref was gonna call the Cogliano trip on Schenn to give a team a 5-3 at that point, even in a regular season game. A ref may have called the cross check on Maroon, but again, at that point in a playoff game, not likely. The reffing was very inconsistent in the game, we can all agree on that. That your Blues were the better team has nothing to do with inconsistent calls. Let’s hope they are better tonight.

The Cogliano trip should definitely have been called, whatever slight chance Lindell had of drawing an interference call was likely negated by his shitshow late in the second period, and the Blues are most certainly not mine.

But other than that, you're spot on!

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Wed May 01, 2019 7:19 pm

I found some advanced stats that should help resolve the Honka vs Polak controversy.
There’s some numbers and acronyms and *poo poo*.

I don’t really know what they mean, but they show Polak way at the top and Honka way at the bottom, so you know they’re accurate.

Now that Carrick is gone, Honka is literally the worst defenseman on the team for whatever it is that these numbers conclusively measure.
EEB97EC4-39E4-4BD2-A38D-AF839020A4AD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Could of.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed May 01, 2019 7:49 pm

I don’t know.

PDO, called SPSV% by the NHL,[4] is the sum of a team's shooting percentage and its save percentage.[7] PDO is usually measured at even strength, and based on the theory that most teams will ultimately regress toward a sum of 100, is often viewed as a proxy for how lucky a team is. According to Wilson, a player or team with a PDO over 102 is "probably not as good as they seem", while a player or team below 98 likely is better than they appear.[5]

PDO is not actually an acronym for anything. It comes from the online handle of Brian King, the first to propose it, for forums and Counter-Strike.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytics_(ice_hockey)#PDO

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:04 pm

PDO is not actually an acronym for anything. It comes from the online handle of Brian King, the first to propose it, for forums and Counter-Strike.[8]

My favorite part.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Good lord, Lindell is getting blasted for his diving. I've seen multiple memes on IG about it and this article cements it: https://theathletic.com/955496/2019/05/ ... -reaction/

I guess one positive is he won't do it again and it maybe could help lower his contract value? The Stars could be like "remember that time you acted like Neymar on the ice?"

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 01, 2019 10:32 pm

B Kat wrote:I don’t know.

PDO, called SPSV% by the NHL,[4] is the sum of a team's shooting percentage and its save percentage.[7] PDO is usually measured at even strength, and based on the theory that most teams will ultimately regress toward a sum of 100, is often viewed as a proxy for how lucky a team is. According to Wilson, a player or team with a PDO over 102 is "probably not as good as they seem", while a player or team below 98 likely is better than they appear.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytics_(ice_hockey)#PDO

Some stats nerds say it measures luck and that someone with a low PDO is due to bounce back. But I'm not sure what they'd say about a guy like Honka who has had a low PDO all three of his seasons.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 pm

wonko80 wrote:Good lord, Lindell is getting blasted for his diving. I've seen multiple memes on IG about it and this article cements it: https://theathletic.com/955496/2019/05/ ... -reaction/

I guess one positive is he won't do it again and it maybe could help lower his contract value? The Stars could be like "remember that time you acted like Neymar on the ice?"

The worst part of having your worst moments come in the playoffs on a national broadcast when most fans media barely know who you are is this is going to follow him like the one time Ribeiro faked a throat injury as a rookie.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.