Winter Classic 1/1/2020

ToddM

Re: Winter Classic 1/1/2020

Postby ToddM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:19 pm

Ticket sales (85k) were obviously huge. Apparently the local boost was in the $30-35 million range, which is $20 million higher than it was for the Ann Arbor game, and around $7-8 million higher than the higher-performing ones.

Which leads me to think that the potential was there, and the NHL's national marketing team just dropped the ball.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:36 pm

Ok then it’s definitely staying.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Went to the Winter Classic and it was awesome. Not 100% perfect, but a fantastic, once-in-a-lifetime event to have been able to attend with the family.

1. We got there pretty early, so the Midway and lines weren't bad yet. Played around on the bumper cars, got a corn dog, went up in the Texas Star, did some fun people watching, ate some junk food. Basically a lot of things you would typically do at the State Fair. Bumped it to lots of other hockey fans we knew and had a good time.

2. Only downside was, closer to 11-11:30, the Midway and area in front of the main Cotton Bowl entrance got really crowded. There were some chokepoints where you were literally surrounded on all sides and could not move. I saw a meme comparing it to the scene from the GoT Battle of the Bastards episode where Jon Snow was drowning in that sea of soldiers. Not far off. It was actually a little scary - no one could move and little kids could have easily been squished.

3. We finally ducked through an area where people weren't supposed to be and eventually made our way around the stadium to our entry gate. It was nice because you couldn't get in to the area without a ticket, so there was no separate check of tickets going in to the stadium. Our seats were in the 4th row of the second deck, between the red line and the Nashville blue line. Honestly, they were fantastic seats. Great sight lines. Could see the puck, could see the players. Not that much different than being in the top reaches of the upper deck of a regular NHL arena.

4. The fans were great. Meet several Dallas fans who had traveled for the game. Lots of Nashville fans too - probably about 20% of the total crowd, but the ones around me were quite nice. There was one section in the corner on the press box side which was predominately Nashville - I'm sure those were the tickets made available to the Nashville season ticket holders. A few times that section tried to get a Nashville chant going, but they were pretty quickly drowned out by the Dallas fans.

5. The whole cowboy stereotype stuff really didn't bother me. To me, it was more making it like the State Fair than saying everything in Texas is cowboy hats and longhorn steers. Although cheesy, I thought it worked. The pig races were entertaining. The mutton bustin' was somewhat disturbing.

6. The "house" band was nothing to write home about. Not god-awful, but not noteworthy. Funny thing was they basically played classic rock, not country music. Made it difficult for the country western dancers to actually try to two step or line dance during breaks.

7. The overall vibe and crowd was fantastic. The "Stars" chants during the anthem gave me chills - just having so many people shouting in concert was incredible.

8. We all know how the game started, but when the Stars scored at the end of the 2nd, the place went nuts. As loud if not louder than any OU / TX game I've been too. When things started rocking in the 3rd, it ranks up there with any sporting event I've ever been to. Just amazing.

9. The Cotton Bowl itself was hard to get around and lines for concessions and restrooms were ridiculous, but the views, history and atmosphere helped to counteract that. If you want plush, go to Jerry World. If you want a memorable experience, hard to beat the Cotton Bowl.

10. The DART train northbound to get out of there was ridiculous. We gamed the system a little and actually took a southbound train from the Fair Park station to MLK station, and then got a northbound train from there. Probably saved at least an hour and a half of waiting for train.

Overall, A++++. Great experience, great memories. So happy we were able to go and so happy I got to share that with the twins.

CraigG

Postby CraigG » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:41 pm

$35 for an official game puck.....the Fanatics trailers were picked clean by 8pm. It was a great experience and I would go to another outdoor game if offered.

I bet the NHL has to admit that NHL hockey in the "outer zones" is profitable. NBC needs to think more out of the box and get rid of some more of their old war horse commentators and Doc.

I walked past Milbury leaving our section and he looked shell shocked that Dallas and Nashville filled the place and rattled the rafters. Maybe he will say something stupid like Jeremy .
Last edited by CraigG on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Season Ticket Holder since 97, still waiting on a new Culture of Champions.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:43 pm

ToddM wrote:Ticket sales (85k) were obviously huge. Apparently the local boost was in the $30-35 million range, which is $20 million higher than it was for the Ann Arbor game, and around $7-8 million higher than the higher-performing ones.

Which leads me to think that the potential was there, and the NHL's national marketing team just dropped the ball.

No league cares about local boost. Local boost makes the league no money, but it is the means a league can use to extort governments. Maybe the future of the game is to put it out for bid to see which city will agree to pick up the most cost.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Another thing to consider is the D/FW market doesn't have a huge "captive" audience who are forced to watch only network TV.

Pretty sure it's just Todd.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Say what you will, but there are dozens just like me!!

I don't know how they calculated "local boost." If hotels/rentals/etc, then the league probably will use it as leverage on future owners. But if it means merch, then... doesn't the league get a cut of that? I honestly have no idea. Or care.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:53 pm

ToddM wrote:Ticket sales (85k) were obviously huge. Apparently the local boost was in the $30-35 million range, which is $20 million higher than it was for the Ann Arbor game, and around $7-8 million higher than the higher-performing ones.

Slaps has upvoted BKat.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Also, my favorite Doc moment was when (I think?) he called Heiskanen "Heiskalou" in the third period.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:55 pm

ToddM wrote:Also, my favorite Doc moment was when (I think?) he called Heiskanen "Heiskalou" in the third period.

He also mentioned the wrong name a few times. It, uh, might be time for him to retire.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:56 pm

cdanew wrote:2. Only downside was, closer to 11-11:30, the Midway and area in front of the main Cotton Bowl entrance got really crowded. There were some chokepoints where you were literally surrounded on all sides and could not move. I saw a meme comparing it to the scene from the GoT Battle of the Bastards episode where Jon Snow was drowning in that sea of soldiers. Not far off. It was actually a little scary - no one could move and little kids could have easily been squished.

Slaps has upvoted BKat.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:59 pm

slaps wrote:It's because they play too many outdoor games, and because hockey is very regional.

That said, it's still going to be one of the highest-rated games ever. And all the national coverage of the game that I saw was exceedingly positive. It's just never going to be a ratings juggernaut.

Agreed. The novelty has worn off.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:04 pm

The overall novelty may have worn off, but CDA is bang-on with his writeup. Actually being there was phenomenal in every respect, and hearing 60,000+ people going insane for Radulov's goal, seeing Connor's face when the flames and fireworks shot off for each Stars goal....I can't say enough how much fun it was.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

CraigG

Postby CraigG » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:07 pm

cdanew has a great review and mine would be identical. A great game experience covers a multitude of sins.

The guy who started "the wave" was two rows in front of me.....he was probably blowing a .20

The first two times he started it died at the Preds on the opposite of the bowl. He took it personally and gave them the bone with both hands held high and finally it started circling.

Only experience better was western finals in 99 and the cup finals in 99.

4th largest metro area in US has NHL hockey and rabid fans. When the Stars finally figure they can play 60 minutes instead of 20 +/- 10 then there will be another Cup in NTX.
Season Ticket Holder since 97, still waiting on a new Culture of Champions.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:22 pm

Math wrote:The more I look at Bowness's jacket, the more I love it.

5minmajor wrote:I saw a couple of those jackets in the stands. They're very sharp.

Math wrote:
Knives Out wrote:I would absolutely buy one.

I dug as deep as I could in the web maze and it's a total failure for now.

:|

Balls.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:29 pm

CraigG wrote:The guy who started "the wave" was two rows in front of me.....he was probably blowing a .20

Blolz.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Looks like the coach's jackets were for sale at the Winter Classic, but they were $500 each and in limited quantities.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Are they going to offer more Adidas jerseys for sale? Or have they made them all and no more will be made or offered?
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:10 pm

slaps wrote:Are they going to offer more Adidas jerseys for sale? Or have they made them all and no more will be made or offered?

Seems like they outsourced to fanatics. A month ago or so I found 1 single Adidas jersey in my size at Rally house and ordered it. Probably none to be had now.

Math

Postby Math » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:36 pm

There's the Perry game worn jersey still available at $3000 in the current bid. Good condition, no sweat, no scratches.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 pm

wonko80 wrote:
slaps wrote:Are they going to offer more Adidas jerseys for sale? Or have they made them all and no more will be made or offered?

Seems like they outsourced to fanatics. A month ago or so I found 1 single Adidas jersey in my size at Rally house and ordered it. Probably none to be had now.

I called around. It’s all Fanatics from here on out. HangarHockey.com has some Adidas authentic Radulov jerseys available. If you want one, snag one now.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:30 pm

Do the Fanatics ones look the same?
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:39 pm

No. The colors look off, and they feel vastly cheaper.
Slaps has upvoted BKat.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Hmm... that sucks.

Math

Postby Math » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:26 pm

The jersey cut between authentic Adidas and Fanatics are really different. The Adidas jerseys are longer and tighter to the body with longer sleeves. For example, size 52 for Adidas is related to L but it is much closer to the Fanatics XL size.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 pm

The Preds took this loss very hard.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm

I had a strong feeling this was coming after that loss.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:55 pm

It would be hilarious if we hired him now.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Or if the Preds hired Monty
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:10 pm

The CBC talking heads were wrong about that one. They said Laviolette wasn’t gonna be fired, but Poile would make some changes if they didn’t show some improvement. Duchene curse, if you ask me.