Page 5 of 17

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:22 pm
by Jason
SaintAngerBH wrote:John Cooper is just as flustered and confused as his team. You can hear it when they interview him on the bench.


The injuries on defense it's hard to overcome in the playoffs. Hedman, Stralman all missed games at the end of the season and in the playoffs.
That's not to say there's not more problems with that team, no reason with that forward talent they should have gotten swept.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:25 pm
by One_Timer
cdanew wrote:Raise your hand if you had Columbus and the Islanders sweeping their first round series.

On a side note, Trotz is a pretty damn good coach.


Hats off to Trotz and Tortorella.

I think big changes are coming for TB, probably Pitt too.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 pm
by SaintAngerBH
ToddM wrote:
cdanew wrote:
ToddM wrote:Note to risk-averse NHL GMs: Tampa did nothing at the deadline, because they were Already Perfect.

Ok, so what exactly should they have done? They were running at a historic level. Easy to try to say they should have done this or that now in hindsight, but point me to the move that would have put them over the top in this series. It's just hockey and hockey is weird sometimes.


I would have done absolutely nothing too. Where could they have improved?

I just hope this sends a message to chickenshit GMs on the other 30 teams because I like chaos and unpredictability.


The Columbus GM is looking like a genius right now.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 pm
by Troy McClure
cdanew wrote:Raise your hand if you had Columbus and the Islanders sweeping their first round series.

On a side note, Trotz is a pretty damn good coach.

I keep forgetting he Islanders are the higher seed all because of Pittsburgh’s history.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:42 pm
by Troy McClure
Jason wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:John Cooper is just as flustered and confused as his team. You can hear it when they interview him on the bench.


The injuries on defense it's hard to overcome in the playoffs. Hedman, Stralman all missed games at the end of the season and in the playoffs.
That's not to say there's not more problems with that team, no reason with that forward talent they should have gotten swept.

Also worth giving credit to the Jackets. They added a lot of talent and struggled for a bit to figure things out and looked to be on their way to missing the playoffs. Then they closed the season winning seven of the last eight with a combined 33 goals for to 8 goals against in those seven wins. Now they steamrolled the Bolts over four games.

Also time to retire the Duchene snark about him being a team killer. He had a great series.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 pm
by One_Timer
I heard the isles will play the next round at Barclays instead of the NVM Coliseum. Bummer.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:14 pm
by slaps
One_Timer wrote:
cdanew wrote:Raise your hand if you had Columbus and the Islanders sweeping their first round series.

On a side note, Trotz is a pretty damn good coach.


Hats off to Trotz and Tortorella.

I think big changes are coming for TB, probably Pitt too.


Image

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:13 am
by ToddM
B Kat wrote:Buh bye Pitt.


They're just not the same team without Oleksiak.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:07 am
by ToddM
Awesome:


Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:50 am
by B Kat
SaintAngerBH wrote:So, if the BJs win tonight, will this be the biggest upset in league history?

Yes, it is the biggest upset in history.

TB is doing all of the other teams a big favor. No matter how short they might come up, they still won't be Tampa.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 am
by B Kat

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 am
by slaps
Image

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 am
by Troy McClure
The rarest of all creatures: a GM who cares about winning over the "asset collection" most GMs use as a form of job security.


Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 pm
by SaintAngerBH
That's my kind of guy. *f-bomb* Nill and his safe approach.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:13 pm
by SaintAngerBH
B Kat wrote:https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/1118332281825968128?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet


This is a genuine statement that I can appreciate.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:29 pm
by ToddM
I still don't feel bad for either of Tampa's fans.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:56 pm
by slaps
Troy McClure wrote:The rarest of all creatures: a GM who cares about winning over the "asset collection" most GMs use as a form of job security.



Hopefully in the future he can win enough to get swept in the first round after a near-perfect regular season.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 pm
by Troy McClure
Wonder if Karlsson's asking price is coming down. He had a pretty good regular season, especially as it went on, but his playoff performance so far is a bit rough. Yeah, he leads their defense with five assists in four games, but he also leads them by being a -5 thanks to being on the ice for 13 of Vegas's 18 goals scored.

By comparison, for the Stars Heiskanen "leads" the team by being on the ice for 4 of Nashville's 7 goals. Polak has only been on the ice for two goals against.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:23 pm
by ToddM
Part of that equation is that Martin Jones really blows (I seem to remember some wise sage on this very board asking why the Sharks didn't pick up a goalie at the deadline), and Bishop "sucks" in the first game in two months where he surrendered more than two goals.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:03 pm
by One_Timer
Just like political pundits, hockey Pundits don’t know squat.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 am
by ToddM
Tampa's not the only #1 seed in trouble. Flames just blew a 2-0 lead with eight minutes left, and are now on the verge of elimination.

Added bonus: both teams whiffed on slam-dunk chances in OT.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:28 am
by slaps
B Kat wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:So, if the BJs win tonight, will this be the biggest upset in league history?

Yes, it is the biggest upset in history.

TB is doing all of the other teams a big favor. No matter how short they might come up, they still won't be Tampa.




Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am
by Troy McClure
That's funny. His Puck Soup podcast with DownGoesBrown and another dude is also a good listen only because they spend half of each episode shitting on the league's stuffy and boring personalities like Crosby.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 am
by The Frugal Gourmet
Jeremy Roenick's "don't bet on hockey" philosophy is looking astute.

There was a FiveThirtyEight article on the Tampa Bay Lightning before the playoffs talking about how by every conceivable metric they were the superior pick to go far and historically good. They did all the math and crunched all the numbers. And it didn't mean *poo poo*.

lol hockey.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:18 am
by The Frugal Gourmet
I don't really believe in the President's Trophy curse or anything like that, and I think that winning in the regular season is just fine. But my theory on them is definitely that they were somehow really unprepared for any adversity.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:26 am
by B Kat
TB had a 3-0 lead in game 1. It just went downhill from there. Why they couldn't put a stop to that, who knows? Every year you can see the teams that were clicking going into the playoffs seem to have an advantage. TB didn't have to click since the season started practically.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:27 am
by The Frugal Gourmet
B Kat wrote:TB had a 3-0 lead in game 1. It just went downhill from there. Why they couldn't put a stop to that, who knows? Every year you can see the teams that were clicking going into the playoffs seem to have an advantage. TB didn't have to click since the season started practically.


'Zactly. Columbus got a punch in and suddenly it was like the bully that finally gets punched back. Complete fold. Amazing.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:27 am
by Troy McClure
The Frugal Gourmet wrote:I don't really believe in the President's Trophy curse or anything like that, and I think that winning in the regular season is just fine. But my theory on them is definitely that they were somehow really unprepared for any adversity.

Of all of the 16 places to finish the regular season, #1 remains the most likely to win the Cup.

I can't argue with your theory about Tampa coasting through the season. I also think people aren't giving enough attention to all of the moves Columbus made and how they started to gel right as they entered the playoffs. If the Blue Jackets had that full roster all season, they're probably division winners or contenders and not sneaking in as #8.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 am
by B Kat
It did take guts to keep their UFAs and even add. Even I'm happy for Columbus. It's not like it's Cleveland.

Re: 2019 NHL Playoffs -- You Know, That Thing We're Going to Make

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm
by slaps
Troy McClure wrote:That's funny. His Puck Soup podcast with DownGoesBrown and another dude is also a good listen only because they spend half of each episode shitting on the league's stuffy and boring personalities like Crosby.


Puck Soup is reliably hilarious. Ryan Lambert is the other guy, and they are all really funny. The Bettman impersonation cracks me up.