2/12 @ Florida

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 38400
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

2/12 @ Florida

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 am

:bzz:
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 15113
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby B Kat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 pm

I know it's asking for a lot, but Dobie could use some goal support. He's been playing way better than his record.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46237
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:48 pm

Is this bad?

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46237
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm

There might be 700 people in the lower bowl.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH
Posts: 11713
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Wow. That is the thinnest crowd I have ever seen.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46237
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:10 pm

Why do they keep talking over and over about how these teams haven't played each other? What a strange thing to focus on.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
One_Timer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby One_Timer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I’ve seen more people at an Odessa Jackalopes game. How embarrassing.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 38400
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby ScubaSteve » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Why do they keep talking over and over about how these teams haven't played each other? What a strange thing to focus on.


I mean, there’s nothing else particularly notable about either of these teams.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
BigAl
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby BigAl » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 pm

It’s nice to see development success story Lindell pot a goal against the Panthers, who the Stars haven’t played before.
Thoraly Birch.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16245
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby ToddM » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Is it just me, or is Razor being especially insulting every time he talks about the Panthers?

User avatar
One_Timer
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby One_Timer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Weren’t the Panthers all in on some weird Kevin Spacey thing a couple of years ago?

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 15113
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby B Kat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Taking two points from a non playoff team, that’s progress. Good game too.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15282
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby wonko80 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 am

So was attendance so low because it is always low for them, because the Stars are not a team that other fans care about seeing, or a combination of both?

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15282
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby wonko80 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am

So Gurianov is definitely better than Nichuskin as far as noticing him on the ice and generating some sort of offensive threat. The best effort Val could manage was to barely be noticed.

Hintz looked great in the wing of the top line.

Radulov still looks off. Making weird plays and his skating isn't quite there.

User avatar
BigAl
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby BigAl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 am

Val only had 7:42 of ice time, so no wonder he wasn’t noticeable. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gurianov is back in next game.
Oleksiak only had 8 minutes.
I agree about Hintz, he looked pretty good out there.
Thoraly Birch.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46237
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am

wonko80 wrote:So Gurianov is definitely better than Nichuskin as far as noticing him on the ice and generating some sort of offensive threat. The best effort Val could manage was to barely be noticed.

Hintz looked great in the wing of the top line.

Radulov still looks off. Making weird plays and his skating isn't quite there.

I'm hoping the Gurianov scratch was a one-time thing done to give him some rest and let him get his focus back. He is a very up and down player. Some games, he's flying around and disruptive. Other games, he's tentative and looks weak. That inconsistency plagued him in the AHL as well, so I understand Monty trying to find ways to wake him up. But you're right that Gurianov never needs to sit for Val on any normal night. Nichushkin was so ineffective that he didn't get a shift in the 3rd period until after Seguin had put the game away with the empty netter.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46237
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 am

Couple of other fun things I saw after looking at the way Monty used his players.

Polak played 6:39 of the 8:00 the Stars successfully killed off. Polak is playing the second most minutes on the league's third best PK, and yet there are people who still think he's the team's worst defender.

Oleksiak only played a total of 8:08, but six of his 20 shifts were under ten seconds. It looks like Monty's way of dealing with having to make the first change was to throw Oleksiak out there but have him come right to the bench after the puck dropped to get him away from Florida's better players. This is how you shelter players.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 16245
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby ToddM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 am

wonko80 wrote:So was attendance so low because it is always low for them, because the Stars are not a team that other fans care about seeing, or a combination of both?


Khudobin compared it to an exhibition game and said it’s an adjustment for players.

“It’s a good question because when I played in Carolina we had that for half the year,” Khudobin said. “It’s kind of seems to be when you are playing with the full building, (then) to come to a building like this it feels like an exhibition game. But at the same time, you understand that it’s not.”

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 32820
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby slaps » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 am

Troy McClure wrote:Couple of other fun things I saw after looking at the way Monty used his players.

Polak played 6:39 of the 8:00 the Stars successfully killed off. Polak is playing the second most minutes on the league's third best PK, and yet there are people who still think he's the team's worst defender.

Oleksiak only played a total of 8:08, but six of his 20 shifts were under ten seconds. It looks like Monty's way of dealing with having to make the first change was to throw Oleksiak out there but have him come right to the bench after the puck dropped to get him away from Florida's better players. This is how you shelter players.


I've never understood the issue with sheltering players. If Oleksiak is good at some things and not others, and we have the defensive depth to put him the best position to help the team and for him to succeed, I have no issue with that. Teams with no depth try and force players into roles they don't fit, like Dickinson as a top-6 scorer, or Robidas as a top-pair defenseman. Teams with decent depth can put players in their proper roles, like Nyetchushkin on a plane to Russia.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 15282
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby wonko80 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 am

I wonder if Oleksiak got somewhat benched after his completely unnecessary interference penalty.

User avatar
Troy McClure
Posts: 46237
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm
Location: not Cleveland
Contact:

Re: 2/12 @ Florida

Postby Troy McClure » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 am

slaps wrote:I've never understood the issue with sheltering players. If Oleksiak is good at some things and not others, and we have the defensive depth to put him the best position to help the team and for him to succeed, I have no issue with that. Teams with no depth try and force players into roles they don't fit, like Dickinson as a top-6 scorer, or Robidas as a top-pair defenseman. Teams with decent depth can put players in their proper roles, like Nyetchushkin on a plane to Russia.

I have no issue with sheltering players. It's what good coaches do. Just thought I'd point out how Monty was doing it on the road where it takes more creativity to get matchups to work.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests