Stars trade Oleksiak. Correction... trade for Oleksiak.

cdanew

Re: Stars trade Oleksiak. Correction... trade for Oleksiak.

Postby cdanew » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:27 pm

ToddM wrote:It's pretty simple. Lower right = really good. Upper left = really bad.

Honka is in a pretty unique spot in that he is simultaneously one of the best and one of the worst d-men at exiting the zone. In other words, if you love im or hate him, you'll find plenty to support your theory. And you'd be simultaneously right and wrong.

Oleksiak is not very exciting. Not as boring as Methot, but not as Bad Exciting as Polak, either. Serviceable.

So based on the lower right theory, Carrick is better than Klingberg or Heiskanen?

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:39 pm

I know it's simple. It's just annoying to me. Hockey is an escape from science for me haha
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm

No because they have a lot more clean exits, and only a little more turnovers.

It's interesting that the Stars have essentially the most exciting (Honka) amd least exciting (Methot) on the same team. It's an 80s buddy cop movie come to life.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:28 pm

I don't think you are correct in labeling Honka as exciting. Nerve wracking may be better.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 pm

How did Polak get anything other than an incomplete? The puck is always in the zone when he’s on the ice so he never exits the zone.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 pm

wonko80 wrote:I don't think you are correct in labeling Honka as exciting. Nerve wracking may be better.

That's probably why Hitch and Hitch 2.0 hated him.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:49 pm

In related news, Game 1 of the Post-Oleksiak Era in Pittsburgh didn't go very well, as the Devils put up 6 goals on them.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:55 pm

Big Rig getting one shot KO'd by Tom Wilson.
That's our season.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Jason

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 pm

lol ESPN

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am

I mean. Is there really much difference?
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 am

About eight inches.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 am

Oleksiak is also taller.
Thoraly Birch.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:Best.

Trade.

Ever.

Let's revisit this sentiment when you realize Nill just acquired Oleksiak to take Honka's job.

Yes, I'm a wizard.

If Honka wants to keep his job, he's going to need to have fancy stats start turning into real stats.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:20 pm

That's in line with what I have seen. Fedun is slightly better than either Carrick or Honka. He is at least moderately stable back there.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm

The real comparison should be "Oleksiak is better than Polak and will replace him in the lineup."

Polak may not have the ability to get the puck out of his own zone, but he has a very impressive ability to stay in the lineup over other, vastly more qualified d-men. Toronto fans screamed into the void for years about Babcock's unwillingness to NOT give Polak 19 minutes a night, and now we're seeing that here.

I guess his Intangibles and Grit are off the charts, while his Plays The Right Way/60 is top-10 in the league.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:23 pm

Polak also kills penalties. Until someone steps up to show they can play PK minutes, Polak’s spot in the lineup is safe.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:26 pm

Thinking of the life a professional athlete, wouldn't it suck if just a month ago the Oleksiaks had finally sold their house in Dallas and closed on their new house in Pittsburgh? Don't think he's married, and he's probably not buying houses, but man that lifestyle has to be hard on the player and the family. There was a good Athletic article I posted about Mike McKenna a little while ago which shows how much those marginal NHL/AHL players can get moved around.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:09 pm

ToddM wrote:The real comparison should be "Oleksiak is better than Polak and will replace him in the lineup."

Polak may not have the ability to get the puck out of his own zone, but he has a very impressive ability to stay in the lineup over other, vastly more qualified d-men. Toronto fans screamed into the void for years about Babcock's unwillingness to NOT give Polak 19 minutes a night, and now we're seeing that here.

I guess his Intangibles and Grit are off the charts, while his Plays The Right Way/60 is top-10 in the league.

Carrick and Honka are not vastly more qualified than Polak. Not by a long shot. And that is saying something because Polak is a 3rd pairing player at best.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Polak blows. We all knew this when we signed him, and he's shown nothing to prove that he is any better than he was in Toronto, when he was one of the worst d-men in the league.

But he finishes 1 or 2 checks a game, and blocks all those shots that he can't clear, so... Coach's Favorite ain't going nowhere.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 pm

ToddM wrote:Polak blows. We all knew this when we signed him, and he's shown nothing to prove that he is any better than he was in Toronto, when he was one of the worst d-men in the league.

But he finishes 1 or 2 checks a game, and blocks all those shots that he can't clear, so... Coach's Favorite ain't going nowhere.

And if Honka wasn’t stinking terrible at the whole defending thing, Honka could be playing all of Polak’s PK minutes. This isn’t about favoritism. It’s about having roles that need bodies.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Polak is way better than I expected. He’s not really slow and he pks and he keeps the puck out of the net. Would we like an upgrade? Sure, what team wouldn’t? But with all the injuries on D, he has absolutely held the defense together. The D is actually this team’s strength. He would be better on a 3rd pair playing less minutes in an ideal world, which we do not have. Even adding Oleksiak.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
cdanew wrote:Not that there was much doubt, but Honka has to be moved now, right?

With the majority of Methot's hefty contract on LTIR, there's a decent amount of padding now. The Stars can probably go back to carrying 8 d on NHL contracts now, so we could likely see Oleksiak, Honka, and Carrick on a rotation for the #6 spot.

I guess Johns hasn’t been placed on LTIR because there’s still hope or they are just waiting to see if they need it. That would bring it to over 6 mil in space. Getting Rig tells me it’s the latter.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:24 pm

B Kat wrote:Polak is way better than I expected. He’s not really slow and he pks and he keeps the puck out of the net. Would we like an upgrade? Sure, what team wouldn’t? But with all the injuries on D, he has absolutely held the defense together. The D is actually this team’s strength. He would be better on a 3rd pair playing less minutes in an ideal world, which we do not have. Even adding Oleksiak.

Heiskanen has been keeping the D together. Polak has just been a boat anchor on that pairing.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:51 pm

Todd hates Polaks. Which is kinda weird.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Polak is currently huge in keeping our PK in the top 10 with how many horseshit penalties they take. Oleksiak should really help that.

He's overplayed. But he's basically the Hjalmarrson back there.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:16 pm

It’s nice that Todd gets TV and Internet in the Upside Down.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:16 pm

FrozenFailure wrote:Polak is currently huge in keeping our PK in the top 10 with how many horseshit penalties they take. Oleksiak should really help that.

Yeah, but dudes with *fargin'* nerd-graphs will tell us he sucks the life out of hockey and that Honka is the next Bobby Orr.

slaps

Postby slaps » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:19 pm

Meanwhile, a variety of professional head coaches whose sole job is to win hockey games have all determined that Honka will not help them do that.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 pm

One_Timer wrote:
FrozenFailure wrote:Polak is currently huge in keeping our PK in the top 10 with how many horseshit penalties they take. Oleksiak should really help that.

Yeah, but dudes with *fargin'* nerd-graphs will tell us he sucks the life out of hockey and that Honka is the next Bobby Orr.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 am

This just made me want to watch Bohemian Rhapsody again.

It will be interesting to see what Rig looks like in the next few games and what Nill does with the cap space, should they start winning.