Stars trade Shore for Cogliano

FrozenFailure

Re: Stars trade Shore for Cogliano

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Those two games were a suspension, too.

I just hope there's more coming that's going to improve this team going forward.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Cogz is definitely a better defender than Shore, and really good at faceoffs. So, we get a player good at two things we're already really good at.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Listen, I'm not a homer so I don't give a *poo poo* if we trade a "fan favourite" like Shore (he sucks),
but at the very least I thought that he would be packaged in a deal that would get us someone with more points than he has ...

Shore 42gp 5g 12a 17p
Cogliano 46gp 3g 8a 11p

How the *f-bomb* does that really help us? LOL

FrozenFailure wrote:I just hope there's more coming that's going to improve this team going forward.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-stars-shoppin ... -1.1241074
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Ive always liked Cogliano. Shore started the season well, got hurt and fell off. I hoped he’d be better, but such is life. Faster is better. But overall. Change of scenery I guess.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Uh, they've shopped Ritchie and no one wants to trade for him.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:04 pm

I saw the Ritchie shopping but I was hoping for something actually, you know, progressive.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

It looks like TSN is trying to take Shapiro's "no one wants him" report into a trade rumor.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Nill says it’s about speed.
Thoraly Birch.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:44 pm

If you can't be good, be quick so no one can tell you're not very good...

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Well, there have been lots of complaints about how slow the Stars have looked

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:56 pm

cdanew wrote:Well, there have been lots of complaints about how slow the Stars have looked

And yes, we can see how bad they are when they are slow. But we also see that being quick can be mostly unproductive unless your name rhymes with Hero.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:59 pm

cdanew wrote:Well, there have been lots of complaints about how slow the Stars have looked

Maybe if we painted some flames on Jamie's skates it would make him look like he was going faster.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:05 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:

Maybe if we painted some flames on Jamie's skates it would make him look like he was going faster.

Make everyone's jerseys a size or two too big so they can flap in the breeze like Modano's? Oh wait, that would require generating a breeze

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm

I actually think a guy like Cogs is what Faksa's line needs.

Can’t say for sure because cogs hasn’t been good recently, so it’s a risk.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 pm

If you were wondering about whether Shore's number would be retired, here is your answer.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

There are a lot of fans butthurt over this. It's not like they un-retired 9. Give me a *fargin'* break...
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Also, my dumb thought when I hear Nill talking about Shore: would Nill have traded Shore if he had drafted him? Of all of the young guys Nill has waived or traded, he's yet to part with a player he drafted.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:There are a lot of fans butthurt over this. It's not like they un-retired 9. Give me a *fargin'* break...

The only one I kind of understood the outrage was when the Stars gave Horcoff Morrow's number. That was pretty damn cold. Funny. But cold.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Troy McClure wrote:If you were wondering about whether Shore's number would be retired, here is your answer.

Um. Why is this even a thing?

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

I don’t know.
Thoraly Birch.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:40 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:If you were wondering about whether Shore's number would be retired, here is your answer.

Um. Why is this even a thing?

:sad

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Troy McClure wrote:would Nill have traded Shore if he had drafted him? Of all of the young guys Nill has waived or traded, he's yet to part with a player he drafted.

Hmmm. That's an interesting point.

And it's almost a shame that we lucked into Heiskanen, because when Jimmy is fired in a few months we could have said that "Nill" was his drafting record (even though we ourselves know that Miro doesn't count).

Not gonna lie, as much as I'm dying to see us compete NOW, there will absolutely be some satisfaction taken from watching the next guy trade away every single one of those useless Nill drafted scrubs.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Troy McClure wrote:Also, my dumb thought when I hear Nill talking about Shore: would Nill have traded Shore if he had drafted him? Of all of the young guys Nill has waived or traded, he's yet to part with a player he drafted.

Yeah, but haven't the Stars had the exact same 3-4 guys making the actual drafting decisions since, like, the Truman Administration?

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:31 pm

ToddM wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Also, my dumb thought when I hear Nill talking about Shore: would Nill have traded Shore if he had drafted him? Of all of the young guys Nill has waived or traded, he's yet to part with a player he drafted.

Yeah, but haven't the Stars had the exact same 3-4 guys making the actual drafting decisions since, like, the Truman Administration?

Les Jackson is still here, but Nill brought many of his scouts from Detroit. And Nill himself I think is pretty involved.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 am

It just occurred to me that Remi Elie was a Nill pick. Bret Pollock, too.
Thoraly Birch.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 am

So I went to look up Elie to see if he's still playing for the Sabers (last game played was Jan 5; total of 14 games this year), but this picture popped up:

Oh my, that's a bad picture. Does he kinda look like the little brother of Jame Gumb?

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Ducks have lost 11 straight, despite Vezina-level goaltending, so they made a trade with a team that's lost two straight despite Jennings-level goaltending:

Really, the more I think about it, it just seems like this was a trade for trade's sake for both teams.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 am

Shapiro breaks down Cogz with video:

https://theathletic.com/768138/2019/01/ ... las-stars/

Short version: he's really fast, a puckhunter, and won't score unless the goalie fucks up.

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:37 am

My other thought on Cogliano is that, yes, he's older and produces about the same level of offense. That said, none of our younger guys have any idea what its like to be on a perpetually good team with a good chance at the playoffs, or really what a deep playoff run is like. That's not their fault entirely - it's been the story of the Stars for several years. But as much as I don't buy the "intangibles" or "character" claptrap when a trade is made, as long as we're doing what looks to be a lateral trade, maybe doing it for a guy who does know what being on a perpetually good team is like is a good thing. He's definitely not a step backward from Shore.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:49 am

My dream is that this makes it so that Comeau can be traded.