Stars trade Shore for Cogliano

Troy McClure

Stars trade Shore for Cogliano

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:24 am

Well... change for the sake of change arrives.

I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

Troy McClure

Re: Stars trade Shore for Cogliano

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

24 year old Shore had one more season left with a cap hit of $2.4 million
31 year old Cogliano has two more seasons left with a cap hit of $3.25 million

If you're curious about Cogliano's offensive output, there is none. He has all of 3 goals and 8 assists on the season, and no, he hasn't missed a bunch of time with injury.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

The double Change of Scenery trade. Cogliano is pretty fast, tho.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am

ToddM wrote:The double Change of Scenery trade. Cogliano is pretty fast, tho.

The "get older and more expensive" change of scenery. Also, picked up a guy whose ceiling is about 35 points. So even if this wakes Cogliano up, he's still not going to do much.

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:30 am

Ah, the Dallas Stars being a dumping ground for misfit toys...

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 am

I see I was right about the panic from Nill. I understand why it happened. But, this will do nothing to improve the team.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:32 am

Jesus, the *poo poo* show continues.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:I see I was right about the panic from Nill. I understand why it happened. But, this will do nothing to improve the team.

It was a fourth liner traded for a fourth liner. Nill again goes the path of least resistance when it comes to making changes.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:35 am

I'm sure there is more if this coming. Unfortunately, I don't think a single move he makes will improve this roster.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:38 am

I was tired of watching Shore coast. I’m glad he got shipped to the seaside.
Thoraly Birch.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am

Troy McClure wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:I see I was right about the panic from Nill. I understand why it happened. But, this will do nothing to improve the team.

It was a fourth liner traded for a fourth liner. Nill again goes the path of least resistance when it comes to making changes.

I'm not crying over losing Shore by any stretch - what I don't understand is trading him for an older player with a larger cap hit and signed for longer term. At least Cogliano has 64 games of playoff experience (but no Cup).

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:44 am

cdanew wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:

I'm not crying over losing Shore by any stretch - what I don't understand is trading him for an older player with a larger cap hit and signed for longer term. At least Cogliano has 64 games of playoff experience (but no Cup).

Makes you wonder if this was about adding another veteran voice to the room. Colgioano is faster than Shore, which is nice considering the lack of team speed. But if this was about improving something like depth scoring, you'd think there has to be some younger and higher-ceiling change of scenery option out there.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:47 am

Honestly, this is selling high on Shore. He has the only one of our parade of lower line spares who has shown even half a spark this season. At least you got a proven NHLer in return.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

FrozenFailure

Postby FrozenFailure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:54 am

ScubaSteve wrote:Honestly, this is selling high on Shore. He has the only one of our parade of lower line spares who has shown even half a spark this season. At least you got a proven NHLer in return.

I agree here, and I've kind of wanted Cogs on our side for a while. Shore's just a glue guy who can do what you want him to do, except score or be much more than a neutral impact player. Anaheim's going to be in for a rebuild going forward, because they are somehow considerably worse than us.

I would guess Ritchie's going too, since all Nill can really do is throw the chaff to the wind and try to save his job in a smokescreen.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 am

ScubaSteve wrote:Honestly, this is selling high on Shore. He has the only one of our parade of lower line spares who has shown even half a spark this season. At least you got a proven NHLer in return.

Even though he's been invisible for a long stretch, he was still technically on stretch for a 34 point season.

Shore's run with the Stars was a strange one. He was right there with Faksa as the two most productive younger forwards on the roster drafted by the Stars. And it wasn't close. He and Faksa put up multiple seasons of 33 points or so, and those totals represent the best offense to come out of the Stars drafting and development. Despite this franchise-leading yet middling success, he was HATED by fans. It really never made any sense.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am

Did the fans hate him? I read a few comments and you’d think we traded Crosby for future considerations.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am

ScubaSteve wrote:Did the fans hate him? I read a few comments and you’d think we traded Crosby for future considerations.

A large segment did, but those folks are of course going to now be upset because the guy acquired is old and not a super star.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:08 am

Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:The double Change of Scenery trade. Cogliano is pretty fast, tho.

The "get older and more expensive" change of scenery. Also, picked up a guy whose ceiling is about 35 points. So even if this wakes Cogliano up, he's still not going to do much.

I mean, 35 points would be like the 4th-leading scorer on this team.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 am

Troy McClure wrote:

Even though he's been invisible for a long stretch, he was still technically on stretch for a 34 point season.

Shore's run with the Stars was a strange one. He was right there with Faksa as the two most productive younger forwards on the roster drafted by the Stars. And it wasn't close. He and Faksa put up multiple seasons of 33 points or so, and those totals represent the best offense to come out of the Stars drafting and development. Despite this franchise-leading yet middling success, he was HATED by fans. It really never made any sense.

I think he was hated because he was pushed up the lineup into a first-line spot due to lack of actual depth, and he is most definitely not a first-line player.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

Troy McClure wrote:
ScubaSteve wrote:Did the fans hate him? I read a few comments and you’d think we traded Crosby for future considerations.

A large segment did, but those folks are of course going to now be upset because the guy acquired is old and not a super star.

I always liked Shore. I thought he was solid. But, I'm not that upset he is gone either. So, meh.

The return is more more concern.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

Is Cogliano playing tomorrow?

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 am

I liked Shore and I like Cogliano.

Meh.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:46 am

I don't hate the trade. I've always liked Cogliano's game, and while I think intangible "leadership" is often overvalued, I don't think bringing a guy with a good amount of playoff experience into the room hurts. I also like that Cogliano's experience is that of a guy who has to work hard every day to make it in the NHL. This trade isn't going to vault us into surefire "contender" status, but, honestly, if we are in a playoff spot at the trade deadline and this trade gets made, it's probably a very well-received trade in terms of loading up for a playoff run.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 am

I like him and think he may be getting underrated here. But I like Shore as well.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:04 pm

The problem with Shore, like most of our other 9 fourth liners, is that if he's not scoring, he's totally invisible out there. He doesn't drive a lot of offense to generate pressure even if it doesn't result in points. Pretty much all the offense he generated resulted in points, which was good, but it also means there was no offense in between those times. Again, pretty much the story of the whole Stars team.

I'm not sure if Cogliano drives offense or not. Someone posted a fancy stats chart that makes it look like he does, but we'll see how he does for the Stars. The speed is a nice upgrade though as Troy has pointed out how slow the Stars seem.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Sadly, we'll probably see Cogliano playing on Spezza's wing as none of the other players up there are doing anything either. Which means they'll be playing him technically as a 2nd liner, which might be a bit much to ask of him.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

I have 2 Ducks fans on my Facebook friends list, and they are both completely pissed that Cogs was traded and posting about it. I suspect he is a fan favorite.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm

For what it’s worth, Cogliano is exceptionally durable. It appears he has only missed two games in his entire career.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 pm

He’ll be able to skate with Janmark, at least.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:For what it’s worth, Cogliano is exceptionally durable. It appears he has only missed two games in his entire career.

Big time jinx.

Big time.