Thoraly Birch.

wonko80

Re: GDT: 1/12 Stars vs. Blues, 8pm

Postby wonko80 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Condra on the second line? :S

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 pm

God our depth sucks. I know scuba jokes we have 3 third lines, but it's more like 1 third line and 2 fourth lines. Just looking at that list of players (after the first line) and not one is an offensive threat that any other team has to game plan for.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 pm

I was just about to reply to your post that Condra is on the first 4th line. Way to be a buzzkill.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Stars2099

Postby Stars2099 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Glad we're wasting the last of Radulov's good years on this garbage roster
Official Quota of TSF.com

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Stars2099 wrote:Glad we're wasting the last of Radulov's good years on this garbage roster

That's our M.O.

We wasted the few good years of Kari. We wasted Benn's prime. We're in the middle of wasting Seguin's prime. We wasted the last of Spezza's good years. We wasted Sharp's last good year.

We just suck the life force out of hockey players.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Blolz

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Honka....at it again....
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:Blolz

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

COOOOOONDRA!!!

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:53 pm

I’m really surprised that our one goal wasn’t enough to win this game.
Thoraly Birch.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:59 pm

I only caught the last eight minutes of this one. Were they as lazy and unmotivated in the previous 52 minutes?

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 am

I skipped the 2nd period but I thought they were skating pretty hard in the first. Not enough to outpace the Blues, though, who were coming in really hard with their forecheck.

The second goal against was some inferior defense by both Klingberg and Lindell. Klingberg was soft on coverage and didn’t take away space from his attacker. Lindell got beaten to the front of the net. I sorta stopped caring after that one.
Thoraly Birch.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 am

So Condra, the career AHLer, has more goals this season than Val in way less games. Yeah, our secondary scoring is fine, Nill.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 am

Yeah. But, is Condra as good at defense as Val? I think not.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:06 am

wonko80 wrote:So Condra, the career AHLer, has more goals this season than Val in way less games. Yeah, our secondary scoring is fine, Nill.

Bah Hahahahahah

Hahaha

Ahhhhhhhh. Hahahahah

Condra scored

Hahaha
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 am

The funny thing is, I bet this team would be close to if not dead last in the league without the goaltending being so great this year. That's how bad the team really is.

Of course. The one year when we actually have good goaltending and the team in front of it shits the bed.

Leonardo da Vinci

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 am

Miro didn’t even get inducted into the hall of game tonight. BUST.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am

SaintAngerBH wrote:Honka....at it again....

I’m assuming that’s in reference to the drop pass behind the net to no one, which was a gift turnover to St. Louis. It was probably a factor in why he only got 10 minutes of ice time.
Maybe we’ll see Carrick back in the lineup next game.
Thoraly Birch.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 pm

BigAl wrote:
SaintAngerBH wrote:Honka....at it again....

I’m assuming that’s in reference to the drop pass behind the net to no one, which was a gift turnover to St. Louis. It was probably a factor in why he only got 10 minutes of ice time.
Maybe we’ll see Carrick back in the lineup next game.

Yep. It was.

Although Carrick hasn't been any better, at least we have a smaller sample size and can delude ourselves into thinking he sucks just a little bit less.

Leonardo da Vinci

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Monty’s presser last night...Yikes. It’s clear management is pointing its collective finger straight at the players.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 pm

One_Timer wrote:Monty’s presser last night...Yikes. It’s clear management is pointing its collective finger straight at the players.

He sounds like a broken man.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Time for some trades

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
One_Timer wrote:Monty’s presser last night...Yikes. It’s clear management is pointing its collective finger straight at the players.

He sounds like a broken man.

I was going to copy and paste the Broken Man speech from A Feast for Crows and replace "broken man" with "broken player" or "broken team" but then I looked it up and realized how long the speech was and decided it was too much work for a bit that only like 5 people would think is moderately funny.

But it's still a good speech, so here you go if you haven't read it in a while.

https://genius.com/George-r-r-martin-a- ... -annotated

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Good speech.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Shapiro was again pretty brutal in his 20/20 post game article.

1. A “culture of mediocrity.”

That’s a phrase that those inside the organization have used in the past when discussing the team. It’s a term you hear behind closed doors, in chats on the side and even in the occasional angry text message.

But that message and honest assessment have been hidden from public view for years now.

Even when the Stars had a public blowup, courtesy of Jim Lites, the culture wasn’t blamed, but rather two pieces of a larger fabric of disappointment.

On Saturday, after another disappointing loss, someone from the Stars organization finally acknowledged the bigger issue and vindicated quite a few fans’ views when Jim Montgomery stepped up to the podium.

“It’s everybody,” Montgomery said. “Unfortunately, I’m very frustrated that I have not been able to gain consistency in our performance and I have not been able to change the culture of mediocrity.”

There it is.

That’s the truth about this organization. There are so many pieces that come together to make a whole, but when you boil it all down it’s a culture that has to change.

4. What about the players? How can they fix this?

After Thursday’s game in Philadelphia, Stars captain Jamie Benn said they would work to fix the slow starts internally as a leadership group.

Jason Spezza, who is part of the leadership group, said the Stars never discussed it after the Philadelphia game.

Instead of a message from leaders to set the tone, there is more of a vibe that every man needs to step up and prove it themselves.

“It falls on the individuals,” Spezza said. “It’s pro hockey, it’s not a rah-rah, get everybody going. You have to zone in on yourself, you have to create your own routines. You have to do what works best for you and if it’s not working you have to change something and make sure you’re ready to start. A little bit falls on the leadership group, but a lot falls on individuals.”

“It just comes down to individuals to get prepared for games,” John Klingberg said. “It comes down to us (as leaders) but we are all playing in the NHL and we’ve got to be ready when the puck is dropped. We can’t be babysitters in here and try to get other guys going; it has to be individual.”

5. There is a difference between babysitters and leaders.

When the Stars are playing well and when they gush about their captain’s leadership they point to how he sets the tone and the team follows. There is a certain way that Benn can make an impact on the rest of the roster and get them to play better, even on nights when he doesn’t look like one of the best players.

If he’s going to get the praise when it goes well, he needs to take the blame when things aren’t going well. The Stars need more from their captain.

19. Montgomery is trying everything to fix the culture.

And as hard as the coach tries to fix things, there is only so much he can do with the roster that’s been given to him. That’s something management needs to realize, and they need to play their part in helping to fix a flawed culture.

And my favorite bit... a comment of his article was someone asking why there weren't any quotes from Benn after the game since he's the captain and the reader was used to other markets (NY, Pitt) where the captain was always the one asked questions and giving quotes after games like this. Sean's answer:

Well Klingberg and Spezza do have letters on your jersey, but I can explain why Benn doesn't speak after every loss. After each game Stars PR will pull aside three players that have been requested by the media and when we get into the locker room those are the three available. We typically do not request Benn because he is a terrible interview and doesn't say anything worthwhile, often it's a waste of my time to talk to Benn when other players actually provide something that would give insight to what happened that evening.

That's the face of the franchise, folks. Benn may say he plays for the guys in the room, but he should also be aware he plays for the fans to essentially pay his salary. Give them nothing and at some point they'll stop being your fans.

And lastly, another commenter pointed out the high amount of giveaways the Stars had (32). Again, Sean's reply:

the 32 giveaways actually tied the record for most by a single team in the NHL this season

It's official folks, this team sucks.

One_Timer

Postby One_Timer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Looks like everybody is turning on Benn.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 pm

They should do more team-building exercises, like an escape room, or paintball, or getting together and going to a Stars game.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 pm

In all fairness, Hatcher et al. were shitty interviews too. But, they were true leaders. I'm not sure the interview skills are indicative of leadership ability.

Benn's shitty performance on the ice is, however.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Yeah, I bet Sean Avery gave fantastic interviews.