Page 4 of 10

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:09 pm
by ToddM
I'm just not impressed by mid-season trades for Grit and Toughness. They never work.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 am
by The Frugal Gourmet
Those 2 guys have been passed around to so many teams.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:46 am
by Knives Out
BigAl wrote:You mean Scratchie.

Blolz.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am
by ToddM

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:20 am
by ToddM
Colorado's in an interesting place. Their season went from top-3 to lottery dumpster fire really quickly, but they have two first round picks they could trade to theoretically turn things around. I doubt they will, tho.

Columbus is in an even shittier position. Bobrovsky and Panarin want out, and the team is bleeding losses lately... but they're also in playoff position right now. So trading those guys would tank them out of the playoffs (probably), but (if done right) would set them up pretty nicely 3-4 years from now with the right picks and prospects.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 am
by slaps
Colorado has Ottawa's first round pick. That's important, because right now Ottawa has about an 18.5% chance at the first overall pick (http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds), which is Jack Hughes. So if Colorado wins that lottery, they could trade every other pick they have in this draft and still win the draft.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:44 am
by ToddM
slaps wrote:Colorado has Ottawa's first round pick. That's important, because right now Ottawa has about an 18.5% chance at the first overall pick (http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds), which is Jack Hughes. So if Colorado wins that lottery, they could trade every other pick they have in this draft and still win the draft.


For someone like Hughes, tho, I'd rather keep both picks and increase your chances that way, even if the other one is just 2% or something.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:16 pm
by Troy McClure
ToddM wrote:Colorado's in an interesting place. Their season went from top-3 to lottery dumpster fire really quickly, but they have two first round picks they could trade to theoretically turn things around. I doubt they will, tho.

Columbus is in an even shittier position. Bobrovsky and Panarin want out, and the team is bleeding losses lately... but they're also in playoff position right now. So trading those guys would tank them out of the playoffs (probably), but (if done right) would set them up pretty nicely 3-4 years from now with the right picks and prospects.

I guess. Seems like Columbus has been selling guys for picks and prospects for about 15 years now with no success.

The problem with these deadline deals is you seldom get high end picks. You're getting a late first rounder at best or mid-level prospects. While the history of teams adding rental players doesn't show a lot of success when it comes to those players doing a lot to help a playoff run, the opposite is also pretty true. There aren't a lot of teams in this cap era who can point to a time they traded a pending UFA as a deal that did them all that much good. The Stars have done a few of them and all they have to show for it are Janmark and Dickinson, two lower line guys who are just ok.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm
by B Kat
Janmark and Dickinson are very good returns, especially on this team.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 pm
by ToddM
Troy McClure wrote:I guess. Seems like Columbus has been selling guys for picks and prospects for about 15 years now with no success.

The problem with these deadline deals is you seldom get high end picks. You're getting a late first rounder at best or mid-level prospects. While the history of teams adding rental players doesn't show a lot of success when it comes to those players doing a lot to help a playoff run, the opposite is also pretty true. There aren't a lot of teams in this cap era who can point to a time they traded a pending UFA as a deal that did them all that much good. The Stars have done a few of them and all they have to show for it are Janmark and Dickinson, two lower line guys who are just ok.


Yeah, the days of Ladislav Nagy for a 1st are long gone. GMs aren't just a bad mullet in a suit anymore.

That said, you could probably bring in a pretty impressive haul for Bobro and Panarin. At the cost of not making the postseason this or the next 2-3 years.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:13 pm
by Troy McClure
ToddM wrote:That said, you could probably bring in a pretty impressive haul for Bobro and Panarin.

And that's true. A side effect of the cap is players of Panarin's level are seldom coming up as rentals while they are still relatively young because so many of them are getting locked down to long long contracts in their mid 20s.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 am
by cdanew
Please, Nill, step away from the phone. No, seriously, put the phone down Jim. I mean it.


Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:44 am
by B Kat
I’m setting my sights on Jakob Silfverberg.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:57 am
by slaps
If LA retains salary, I'd be in. He's been getting crap opportunities on a crap team.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:16 am
by mookie1010
slaps wrote:If LA retains salary, I'd be in. He's been getting crap opportunities on a crap team.

How would that change here?

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:33 am
by Troy McClure
slaps wrote:If LA retains salary, I'd be in. He's been getting crap opportunities on a crap team.

But is he getting crap opportunities because he's not earning better ones?

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:23 pm
by slaps
Troy McClure wrote:
slaps wrote:If LA retains salary, I'd be in. He's been getting crap opportunities on a crap team.

But is he getting crap opportunities because he's not earning better ones?


The Kings in general are crap. Kovalchuk has been playing an average of 16 minutes or so per game, and has 11 goal and 15 assists in 44 games. We're giving Faksa 16 minutes a night.

Kovalchuk's point production would put him 4th on the Stars in goals, and 7th in assists, or tied for 4th overall with Klingberg.

I don't think he's worth $6MM+ a season. But if the Kings eat $2MM or $2.5MM and we don't send them much to get him, are we that much worse off? He's a fantastic finisher. I'd love to get Stone or Panarin, but we lack assets and Nill is chickenshit.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm
by ToddM
Why would LA do that, tho?

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:52 pm
by cdanew
My issue is tying up that cap space until 2021.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 pm
by slaps
ToddM wrote:Why would LA do that, tho?



Slack for Jack.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:04 pm
by BigAl
That sounds like a SlapJackSlackFact.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 pm
by One_Timer
Nill’s gonna Nill. Dickie is the future 2C. He’s probably going the other way because he good and has contract value. Nuke & Honka are *poo poo* and have none. Dick plus a high pick and Robertson will fetch a scoring C or W.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:34 am
by Knives Out
Keep Robertson, trade Dellandrea.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:11 pm
by Troy McClure
Some depth player shuffling.


Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:30 pm
by ToddM
Schlemko gets one step closer to his dream of playing at least five minutes with every NHL team.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm
by ToddM
My new favorite phrase: "fortified by the gargle"

https://theathletic.com/812781/2019/02/ ... nt-happen/

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:54 pm
by slaps
There have been a recent spate of articles detailing why Wayne Simmonds is slow, ineffective, and not good, so I assume Nill will wildly overpay for him because he's large.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:59 pm
by Troy McClure
slaps wrote:There have been a recent spate of articles detailing why Wayne Simmonds is slow, ineffective, and not good, so I assume Nill will wildly overpay for him because he's large.

All of those negatives aside, he's still better than three of the four RWers Monty played last night.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 pm
by ToddM
The Flyers have gone 11-3 since they beat us and have (kindof but not really) climbed back into the wild card race, so they might not even be sellers in two weeks.

Re: Trade Deadline Thread - 2019

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:19 pm
by B Kat
Obviously the Flyers are going for it, they traded for Schlemko.