GDT: 12/15, Stars @ Dives, 8 pm

wonko80

Re: GDT: 12/15, Stars @ Dives, 8 pm

Postby wonko80 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:11 am

I agree, which is why I'm not incredibly excited we're locked into Benn/Seguin for another 6 years or whatever. Last year of Lindy, Hitch, and now Monty and all three they've been inconsistent for. At some point it's just the players. On the other hand, Seguin was better last year under Hitch, so I'd say Monty needs to work on him some more. Benn is just frustrating. He floats around for most of the game then will have a good shift or two and likely picks up points on those shifts. So then his point totals look good, but it's not like he's controlling the play at all. Seguin doesn't really either, but I'm not sure that was ever his game to begin with.

mookie1010
Site Admin

Postby mookie1010 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:27 am

Is Benn still nursing something or have some long term thing that he'll always have? I know we all love to *poo poo* on him, but I think wonko is correct above in that he does kind of float and flash in every game.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:35 am

I think they have their best production when they can capitalize off of miscues and turnovers. The controlled possession game seems to get them nowhere. The fun to watch team of a few years ago had a relentless forecheck and aggressive back checking in the neutral zone. Turnovers created there catch the other team flat footed and give our guys a few seconds of time to jazz it up a bit.
I’ve noticed lately that there’s a very soft forecheck. Guys aren’t pressuring the puck carrier as much and instead are peeling back towards the neutral zone in more of a trapping style. Maybe that makes sense with the unstable D corps, but it’s stifling. It stifles the opponents offense but also ours.
Thoraly Birch.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:35 am

Gurianov seemed to wake up the top line in limited minutes:

In related news, expect Gurianov to be sent down again for not scoring on that one play where he skated past all five Avs.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:39 am

ToddM wrote:So far, and it's still pretty early to make judgements on a first-year coach, Monty is:

--Really good at making in-game adjustments (especially in contrast to Hitch). Stars own the second periods.
--Really awful at getting his players prepared before the game. Dallas just absolutely sucks in most first periods, with zero jump, always chasing the puck.
--Pretty good at handling the injuries. Like all coaches, he seems to prefer to keep things safe and simple, especially with the AHL D corps. It's worked far, FAR better than it should have, but a lot of that early luck might be wearing off lately.
--Pretty abominable at handling his star players. Benn, Seguin, Radulov, and Klingberg (and Spezza, but... you know) have been all over the map. Some days they dominate, some they look lethargic and disinterested. We're like 30 games in and Benn AND Seguin AND Radulov have had maybe three good games at the same time so far. Maybe Monty thought that NHL stars didn't need as much coaching as college freshmen, but if anything they probably need more. It should be interesting to see if the Big Three improve when Klingz returns.

Overall i'd give him a B+, all things considering.

Counterpoint - players making millions of dollars and playing in the most competitive league in the world should be able to motivate themselves at least a little bit.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 am

Countercounterpoint: The players with the most minutes and most responsibility should get the most coaching.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:05 pm

ToddM wrote:Countercounterpoint: The players with the most minutes and most responsibility should get the most coaching.

That's a great countercounterpoint and probably one not practiced by many coaches even though they really should.

I also think it is highly dependent on the player's give-a-crap level, and it looks to me like Benn's has been quite low for some time now. Maybe coinciding with when he signed his extension.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 pm

My only real criticism of Monty so far is that I'm not sure he is managing the schedule real well. Playing Bishop on both sides of a back to back, or playing your big boys 5 minutes straight to end the first end of the back to back earlier this week are a couple examples. In college they were really only playing once a week and never had to worry about that, but it's a little different here.

But other than that, the fact that they're even treading water right now is pretty impressive with the lineup Monty has been given. B+ or maybe even an A- would be my grade.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:19 pm

If they need Klingberg to be good, then it’s safe to say the Stars are in for another lost decade by going all in on Benn and Seguin.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Going all in on Seguin made more sense to me. But, Jamie has never struck me as truly elite in the first place and I never felt like he was ever really going to carry the franchise. Seguin is a step above him in my opinion and is just having an off year. I would have traded Benn early on in the hip injury fiasco and kept Seguin.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci