GDT: 12/15, Stars @ Dives, 8 pm

BigAl

GDT: 12/15, Stars @ Dives, 8 pm

Postby BigAl » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Thoraly Birch.

SaintAngerBH

Re: GDT: 12/15, Stars @ Dives, 8 pm

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:49 pm

As much as I hate Nichushkin, Pitlick hasn't shown me anything either so I don't care which one is out. Glad Ritchie is out. Glad Gurianov is getting a shot again.

Hanley is better than Honka and should not be sitting.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Also, Khudobin has been better than Bishop lately. I would play him more going forward.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:08 pm

It seems like the replacement D have regressed down towards Honka’s level. Maybe some of their intensity has waned now that the initial thrill has worn off. Honka played with more determination last game, so we’ll see if he can keep it up.
Thoraly Birch.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm

The replacement level D were overachieving. They’re starting to play like the replacement level players that they are. We all knew this wasn’t sustainable.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:05 pm

The Avs lost in OT last night, in sort of spectacular fashion. They tied it at the end of the 3rd and it looked like they were gonna win in OT when they got a power play, on a whack call. A Blue had lost his stick, another Blue gave him his and then picked up the other stick. Somehow it was a penalty, even tho the stick was not broken. But the hockey gods got even when Ryan O’Reily (also a former Av) got a short handed break away, which was definitely going in. Pretty fun game.

Good to see Julie lived to see another day and also Gurianov.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:24 pm

B Kat wrote:The Avs lost in OT last night, in sort of spectacular fashion. They tied it at the end of the 3rd and it looked like they were gonna win in OT when they got a power play, on a whack call. A Blue had lost his stick, another Blue gave him his and then picked up the other stick. Somehow it was a penalty, even tho the stick was not broken. But the hockey gods got even when Ryan O’Reily (also a former Av) got a short handed break away, which was definitely going in. Pretty fun game.

Vladimir Tarasenko was called for the penalty in overtime because he picked up Colton Parayko's stick, which is specially made for players at least 6-foot-6, and while there's a special exemption in place for players that height to use longer sticks, that doesn't allow another player to use it to play the puck. Parayko said, "I thought we were going to go down the ice with wrong-handed sticks maybe. I had no idea that was even a rule. I don't think any of us really did. ... We've had a couple weird things in this building."

7:30 mark:

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Yeah, it was bunk. Made for a good game. Hopefully the Avs are worn out after all that excitement.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm not sure what problem that rule is fixing.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:02 pm

ToddM wrote:I'm not sure what problem that rule is fixing.

Might have a guy try to pole vault.

But yeah... stupid rule.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:09 pm

I mean, the rule is the rule. Good on the refs for being aware enough to spot it.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:10 pm

The rule is there because letting Philip Larsen play with Oleksiak’s stick would be stupid and dangerous.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:25 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:

The rule is there because letting Philip Larsen play with Oleksiak’s stick would be stupid and dangerous.

I guess. I mean, I get that a long reach helps defenders, but when a stick gets too long, it becomes impossible to stickhandle or pass.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Hopefully we can hold them to under 10 goals.
Thoraly Birch.

slaps

Postby slaps » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Hey, remember Nill’s 5-year plan to fix the Stars and make them a contender again? Seems like maybe he should copy the Avalanche’s 1-year plan.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:31 pm

slaps wrote:Hey, remember Nill’s 5-year plan to fix the Stars and make them a contender again? Seems like maybe he should copy the Avalanche’s 1-year plan.

Have your current assets play to their potential then hit on some draft picks? Good luck.

Knives Out

Postby Knives Out » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 am

OH COME ON!
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

BigAl

Postby BigAl » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:08 am

BigAl wrote:Hopefully we can hold them to under 10 goals.

We did it!
Thoraly Birch.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:14 am

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 am

slaps wrote:Hey, remember Nill’s 5-year plan to fix the Stars and make them a contender again? Seems like maybe he should copy the Avalanche’s 1-year plan.

Av's Plan:
1. Become the laughingstock of the league.
2. Trade their best players for literally nothing because they don't want to play in Colorado.
3. Score a couple of first-or-second-overall picks in Landeskog and MacKinnon. Start them when they're 18, and listen to the Avs fanbase go red in the face for years screaming that both players are *poo poo* and not worth a bag of pucks and should be traded yesterday. Also pick up Rantanen 10th overall, and literally not one single other NHL player in your last seven drafts.
4. Put your only three good players on the same line. Watch them score three goals a night. Give everyone else pom poms.

Frankly, even tho they scored 8 on us to-night, I wasn't all that impressed. Almost all of their goals came off of unbelievably stupid and/or lazy plays by guys like Radulov and Comeau, or by our best penalty killers taking stupid penalties. It's rare that we give up 8 and i really can't fault the goalies... and Varlamov and the rest of the non-first-line Avs sucked so hard that they let the Stars right back into it, twice!

The Avs are a pretty and fast and entertaining team, but against a real team with a shutdown d, they're gonna go down in five games in the first round if they play like this the rest of the way.

wonko80

Postby wonko80 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:37 am

Yes, but their brand of hockey seems to be better than ours. We can only wet dream of having out top line score 3 goals a night. At this point I'd take them scoring 1 goal a night.

From Shapiros 20/20 (note the part about even strength goals):
The Avalanche have the top line the Stars thought they would have when they invested big in Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn and Alexander Radulov.

In theory, 14-91-47 should be one of the best lines in hockey. And to put it frankly, they’ve been average at best.

Seguin’s goal in the second period was the first even-strength tally in two weeks for that trio. That’s inexcusable for a group that’s paid to put up points.

We often talk about how the Stars are missing another top-six player, one that could really even out the lineup. In many ways that’s a criticism of the management and how they’ve built this roster. But it’s also a criticism of Benn and Seguin, if they were playing at a level that matched their pay grade, the additional top-six forward would be a luxury purchase and not a dire area of need.

Did you know that Benn is the fourth-highest paid player in the NHL this season?

While his cap hit is $9.5 million, the first three years were front-loaded at $13 million per season since in theory the Stars were planning on paying one of the top-10 players in the NHL during that section of the contract.

And since he’s signed his contract, Benn hasn’t been a top-10 player in the NHL, not even close.

Seguin’s extension, which kicks in next season, is structured similarly. Next season he’ll be the fourth-highest paid player in the NHL and make $13.5 million, knocking Benn down to the fifth-highest paid player in the league before any other contracts are signed in the offseason.

When you are investing that much into two players you simply can’t afford to have them rank 65th and 81st in the league in scoring.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Woe is us.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:46 pm

ToddM wrote:

Av's Plan:
1. Become the laughingstock of the league.
2. Trade their best players for literally nothing because they don't want to play in Colorado.
3. Score a couple of first-or-second-overall picks in Landeskog and MacKinnon. Start them when they're 18, and listen to the Avs fanbase go red in the face for years screaming that both players are *poo poo* and not worth a bag of pucks and should be traded yesterday. Also pick up Rantanen 10th overall, and literally not one single other NHL player in your last seven drafts.
4. Put your only three good players on the same line. Watch them score three goals a night. Give everyone else pom poms.

Frankly, even tho they scored 8 on us to-night, I wasn't all that impressed. Almost all of their goals came off of unbelievably stupid and/or lazy plays by guys like Radulov and Comeau, or by our best penalty killers taking stupid penalties. It's rare that we give up 8 and i really can't fault the goalies... and Varlamov and the rest of the non-first-line Avs sucked so hard that they let the Stars right back into it, twice!

The Avs are a pretty and fast and entertaining team, but against a real team with a shutdown d, they're gonna go down in five games in the first round if they play like this the rest of the way.

I know what you’re trying to do with point 3, but the analogy doesn’t fly. You’re talking about guys taken #1 and #2 overall.

MacKinnon entered the league at 18 the same season as Nichushkin, and MacKinnon put up more assists that year than Val did points. He was putting up decent numbers every seasons and has now blossomed into awesome. Landeskog also started at 18 and was pretty good from the start.

There more to having young players become awesome than just playing them even when they’re awful. It helps when those young players are have actual potential to be great.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Nevertheless, Avs fans wanted heads to roll, and MacKinnon and Landeskog were non-stop trade bait for years. No different than Schiefle in Winnipeg.

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 am

ToddM wrote:The Avs are a pretty and fast and entertaining team, but against a real team with a shutdown d, they're gonna go down in five games in the first round if they play like this the rest of the way.

So you're saying they will make the playoffs? Man, that sounds nice.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:23 am

#JTONTFJTGM wrote:

That's not even clever. Goaltending is the last of this team's problems. Fine, Khudobin had a bad night. But, he's been great most of the season.

What is pathetic is that the rest of the team can't even give either goalie a break by outscoring/outdefending the other team. Not even one time.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 am

The odd thing is that I think Monty is a good coach, and the right coach for the team. I think he's been handed a double mess of both injuries and a bad roster. At this point, I'd like to see some of the non-performing players moved, if only for the sake of change. Nill seems very reluctant to do any kind of roster shakeup, but I don't see a lot of downside at this point.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:54 am

So far, and it's still pretty early to make judgements on a first-year coach, Monty is:

--Really good at making in-game adjustments (especially in contrast to Hitch). Stars own the second periods.
--Really awful at getting his players prepared before the game. Dallas just absolutely sucks in most first periods, with zero jump, always chasing the puck.
--Pretty good at handling the injuries. Like all coaches, he seems to prefer to keep things safe and simple, especially with the AHL D corps. It's worked far, FAR better than it should have, but a lot of that early luck might be wearing off lately.
--Pretty abominable at handling his star players. Benn, Seguin, Radulov, and Klingberg (and Spezza, but... you know) have been all over the map. Some days they dominate, some they look lethargic and disinterested. We're like 30 games in and Benn AND Seguin AND Radulov have had maybe three good games at the same time so far. Maybe Monty thought that NHL stars didn't need as much coaching as college freshmen, but if anything they probably need more. It should be interesting to see if the Big Three improve when Klingz returns.

Overall i'd give him a B+, all things considering.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:00 am

slaps wrote:The odd thing is that I think Monty is a good coach, and the right coach for the team. I think he's been handed a double mess of both injuries and a bad roster. At this point, I'd like to see some of the non-performing players moved, if only for the sake of change. Nill seems very reluctant to do any kind of roster shakeup, but I don't see a lot of downside at this point.

I agree with Razor that he is much more likely to make moves before the deadline this year than he ever has been, simply because he will likely be fired this summer if the team doesn't at least get to the second round of the playoffs. And, let's be honest, they probably aren't even getting to the first round.

Leonardo da Vinci

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:01 am

ToddM wrote:So far, and it's still pretty early to make judgements on a first-year coach, Monty is:

--Really good at making in-game adjustments (especially in contrast to Hitch). Stars own the second periods.
--Really awful at getting his players prepared before the game. Dallas just absolutely sucks in most first periods, with zero jump, always chasing the puck.
--Pretty good at handling the injuries. Like all coaches, he seems to prefer to keep things safe and simple, especially with the AHL D corps. It's worked far, FAR better than it should have, but a lot of that early luck might be wearing off lately.
--Pretty abominable at handling his star players. Benn, Seguin, Radulov, and Klingberg (and Spezza, but... you know) have been all over the map. Some days they dominate, some they look lethargic and disinterested. We're like 30 games in and Benn AND Seguin AND Radulov have had maybe three good games at the same time so far. Maybe Monty thought that NHL stars didn't need as much coaching as college freshmen, but if anything they probably need more. It should be interesting to see if the Big Three improve when Klingz returns.

Overall i'd give him a B+, all things considering.

You can't blame Monty for the last point. Those guys were like that under Ruff and Hitch too. It's squarely on the players' shoulders there.

Leonardo da Vinci