GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15331
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby ToddM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:19 am

I remember the years when the "second night of a back to back" was an automatic blowout loss.

User avatar
ScubaSteve
Posts: 37535
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:20 am

You mean like two seasons ago?
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

User avatar
slaps
Posts: 31956
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Shady Drifter
Contact:

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby slaps » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:34 am

wonko80 wrote:
Troy McClure wrote:Bayruther has been a breath of fresh air. Man, I hope he stays in the lineup even after some other guys get healthy.

He's way better than Methot for sure. I can't even remember if John's is better than Bayruther or not.


Johns is better at defense. He's more mobile and more experienced. He doesn't let loose from the point enough, but he's sneaky good at pinching. I hope he comes back soon.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14688
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby B Kat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:57 am

Finally Khudobin gets two points for his efforts. Glad I stayed awake for that one.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15331
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby ToddM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am

ScubaSteve wrote:You mean like two seasons ago?


It felt like two decades of insta-losses, but was probably realistically only 8.

Also, this:


User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby cdanew » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 am

B Kat wrote:Finally Khudobin gets two points for his efforts. Glad I stayed awake for that one.


Glad he got the points as well - pretty strong effort playing the second night in a row. He wasn't technically the most fluid goalie I've ever seen last night, but he battled all the way. From what little insights I can glean from the TV, he seems a bit more fiery than your mainstream goalie. Kinda like it.

User avatar
wonko80
Posts: 14777
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Frisco

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby wonko80 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:25 am

cdanew wrote:
B Kat wrote:Finally Khudobin gets two points for his efforts. Glad I stayed awake for that one.


Glad he got the points as well - pretty strong effort playing the second night in a row. He wasn't technically the most fluid goalie I've ever seen last night, but he battled all the way. From what little insights I can glean from the TV, he seems a bit more fiery than your mainstream goalie. Kinda like it.

He looked super shaky handling the puck for sure. Especially for the first two periods. That first goal against was pretty soft. He recovered though and made some big stops.

User avatar
BigAl
Posts: 3716
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby BigAl » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am

He’s a rather animated goalie, frequently stretching out to make saves. Kari seemed like he relied too much on positioning and dropping in to the butterfly in hopes that the puck would hit him.
Thora Birch.

User avatar
B Kat
Posts: 14688
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby B Kat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:59 am

wonko80 wrote:He looked super shaky handling the puck for sure. Especially for the first two periods. That first goal against was pretty soft. He recovered though and made some big stops.

I've been yelling at him to stay in his net. I think he wants to play more like Bishop, for consistency, but his puck handling skills don't match Bishop's.

He's also had some good luck, which of course, he makes. :)

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby cdanew » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 am

Agreed that he would like the first goal back. In terms of him stretching out to make saves, I think part of that has to do with his size (since he isn't 6'7") and part may be a less efficient lateral movement - goes back to my fluid comment earlier. His lateral movement seems kind of choppy to me.

User avatar
ToddM
Posts: 15331
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm
Contact:

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby ToddM » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:30 am

He's also been really lucky. It seems like the other teams hits at least 1-3 posts per game against him (tho Razor would of course say that "that's all he gave 'em!"). He reminds me a lot of Turco: quick and agile, but maybe all that agility and windmill saves are covering for his shitty original positioning and plump rebounds.

User avatar
cdanew
Posts: 4481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby cdanew » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:02 pm

ToddM wrote:He's also been really lucky. It seems like the other teams hits at least 1-3 posts per game against him (tho Razor would of course say that "that's all he gave 'em!"). He reminds me a lot of Turco: quick and agile, but maybe all that agility and windmill saves are covering for his shitty original positioning and plump rebounds.


I don't think the Stars goalies have been much more fortunate with posts than average (and no, haven't looked to see if there are stats on that). Some of those games where the opponents hit multiple posts also included the Stars hitting iron on multiple occasions. Sure, both Bishop and Dobby have benefited but so have a lot of other goalies this season.

User avatar
mookie1010
Site Admin
Posts: 31866
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: East Side

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby mookie1010 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:19 pm

Yeah, agree with CD on that. There were several games on that east coast trip where it seemed like those lucky posts were even for each team.

Or unlucky. Perspective.
you don't realize that your pants are too long until you walk to get a taco in the rain.

User avatar
Knives Out
Posts: 18503
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Location: TO via MTL

Re: GDT: 11/28 Stars at Flames, 8:00pm

Postby Knives Out » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Khudobin is insane, and I love that in a goalie.
That Hanzal's so hurt right now.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests