2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Troy McClure

Re: 2019 Stars Off-Season Thread

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 am

This was one I'd also rather them overpay a bit just to get it done before the draft trade frenzy, before the buyout window, and before July 1. Get the number set in stone to give you an idea of what you're working with for the rest of the offseason.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 am

Lindell was playing almost 30 minutes a game in the playoffs (haven't checked the actual stats, but you know what I mean) and he was playing hard minutes (penalty kill, defensive zone starts). Worth it.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Thu May 16, 2019 11:02 am

Worth it.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 16, 2019 11:15 am

Lindell was 6th on the team (not just defenseman) in scoring, and top 50 in defenseman scoring in the league. He played monster minutes in the playoffs, including entire penalty kills on multiple occasions. He's just entering his prime and this takes him right to the point where he's like to start slowing down.

It's a terrific contract. It's also not super bonus-heavy, so it's not a boat anchor in terms of trade flexibility (should we need it):

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 am

Troy McClure wrote:Spezza: Sounds like one of two things happened: (1) Spezza has been informed he's not getting an offer from the Stars or (2) Spezza doesn't want to come back. Whatever the reason, I'm good with it.

It was #1. Nill told him he's not coming back. From the article:

“I think Jason knows where he’s at in his career, we had a good discussion,’’ Stars GM Jim Nill told me on Wednesday. “He asked for my opinion and I said, `Jason, you still have that fire in your belly.’ He agreed. He’s healthy. He can still fulfill a role. He was good for us in the playoffs. He was disappointed in his production in the regular season but he can still fulfill a certain role. He’s still one of the top draw men in the league. He’s still very good on the power play. Again, he was good for us in the playoffs.

“Unfortunately, we’ve got some younger players coming in, and the salary cap, it was just kind of time,” Nill added. “But Jason is still a serviceable player that’s had a great career.’’

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu May 16, 2019 11:28 am

Advanced stats-wise, Lindell led the entire NHL in something called "defensive point shares," at 6.7. I dunno what that means, but "best in the NHL" at anything is probably pretty good.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am

I was hoping for a flat $5MM cap hit, but they bought a few years of unrestricted free agency.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 am

ToddM wrote:Advanced stats-wise, Lindell led the entire NHL in something called "defensive point shares," at 6.7. I dunno what that means, but "best in the NHL" at anything is probably pretty good.

But the shot-based advanced stat community thinks this is a horrible contract.
I got a ranch in downtown Dallas/I buy diamonds by the ton/Chase cuties in my Cadillac/Drill oil wells just for fun/But when it comes to boots, I need a deal/That will fit me right, toe to heel/So I get my boots at Western Warehouse.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Lindell would’ve gotten $7m/year on the open market.
Image Cody Monette likes this.

Eskimo Spy wrote:I would of course make some jokes if any of you died

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Troy McClure wrote:
ToddM wrote:Advanced stats-wise, Lindell led the entire NHL in something called "defensive point shares," at 6.7. I dunno what that means, but "best in the NHL" at anything is probably pretty good.

But the shot-based advanced stat community thinks this is a horrible contract.

But what does the anti-diving community think?

Anyway, it would be if Lindell were a one-dimensional defender. But he chips in quite a bit on offense for a guy with zero PP time.

cdanew

Postby cdanew » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Kind of an interesting thought

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 22, 2019 7:47 am

I think they can do one goaltender and eight skaters, regardless of position, but they still have to factor in no trade / no move clauses.

#JTONTFJTGM

Postby #JTONTFJTGM » Wed May 22, 2019 2:22 pm

I have no interest in paying to read it but I'll leave it here for those that do while already knowing what Tom Gaglardi and Jim Lites think the answer is.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Wed May 22, 2019 3:26 pm

“You watch Seguin and [Alexander] Radulov, they bring it every single night. The effort is always there,” an NHL scout said. “That doesn’t happen with Benn. He doesn’t bring the same effort every night and I wonder if that’s a physical thing. Is it best for his recovery and body if he has a so-called off night every seven or eight games?

“And maybe that’s what happened in Game 6 and 7 against St. Louis. Because he brought it in the first round and early on against the Blues. But when your body is used to taking off every 10 games and going through the motions, I would think by Game 6 – what was that, their 12th game? His body was asking for that easier night.”

I polled a handful of NHL scouts about Benn. Some think his effort fell due to the big contract; he got his paycheck and lost his edge. Maybe that’s the case, or maybe we really need to look at what happened to other aging power forwards and accept that human beings simply can’t thrive with that type of punishment in their late 20s. They’ll only look worse next to quick-healing players in their early 20s.

Don't want to quote too much of the article, but he also makes the claim that the Stars wasted Benn's prime, which I totally agree with.

Go back and watch some highlights from the bankruptcy era or 2013-2014. He is barely a shadow of the player he was then. It's hard to watch this. It's worse than Brenden Morrow's demise.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Benn wasn't the only player that looked like hot garbage those last two games.

B Kat

Postby B Kat » Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm

Unless he has some actual physical damage or injury, Jamie can get into better shape. He can start there.

I am figuring that T Gags is gonna throw a boatload of cash at Shapiro to quit with the *fargin'* horseshit stories every other week or two. It certainly doesn't help Benn's value with the team or in a trade.

BTW, The Athletic is worth the subscription, (not necessarily this article), but especially for a sport's nut, Bob.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 pm

SaintAngerBH wrote:“You watch Seguin and [Alexander] Radulov, they bring it every single night. The effort is always there,” an NHL scout said. “That doesn’t happen with Benn. He doesn’t bring the same effort every night and I wonder if that’s a physical thing. Is it best for his recovery and body if he has a so-called off night every seven or eight games?

I’ve been cultivating the “maintenance game” bit for years, and it’s finally going mainstream.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed May 22, 2019 4:37 pm

I think he’s fine.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 22, 2019 7:06 pm

The Frugal Gourmet wrote:I think he’s fine.

Hmm..... Can't tell if you're dismissing the health concerns, giving a tepid summary of how good he is, or are saying he's hot.

The Frugal Gourmet

Postby The Frugal Gourmet » Wed May 22, 2019 8:43 pm

All of the above.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Fri May 24, 2019 1:29 pm

slaps

Postby slaps » Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm

ScubaSteve wrote:https://www.nhl.com/stars/news/maybe-game-of-thrones-bran-has-a-point-dallas-stars-are-exactly-where-theyre-supposed-to-be/c-307534906

Kill me, kill me, kill me

That's just utterly cringe-inducing.

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Fri May 24, 2019 4:09 pm

I never pay attention to anything Heika says. He's just a PR mouthpiece.
~Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.

Leonardo da Vinci

slaps

Postby slaps » Wed May 29, 2019 12:44 pm

I see Todd is now contributing to DBD:

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2019/5/29 ... e-jim-nill

The move that scares me the most does so because it seems so probable: re-signing Ben Lovejoy seems like something people are actually talking about, in spite of, uh, how he actually did at the hockeys. But, you know, play on a decent penalty kill unit and you can basically get away with murder by omission at even-strength.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 29, 2019 12:55 pm

In other words, even the guys at DBD can see that Lovejoy blows.

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Wed May 29, 2019 2:26 pm

I also hope the Stars can do better than Lovejoy, but unlike DBD, I do think the PK is an important part of the game and shouldn't be ignored.

ScubaSteve

Postby ScubaSteve » Wed May 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Lovejoy is like the 4th best available UFA defenseman, so don’t hold your breath.

slaps

Postby slaps » Thu May 30, 2019 7:50 am

This part of an article about why the Stars should absolutely, 100% keep Zucarello amused me:

https://theathletic.com/1001401/2019/05/30/its-decision-time-for-the-dallas-stars-and-mats-zuccarello/

Another scout had similar thoughts on what Zuccarello brought to the table and how his contract should be high on Nill’s to-do list. With Zuccarello at full strength, he believes the Stars are a Central Division contender.

“I think with the emergence of Roope turning into a player and then getting Zucc signed, that’s a big one. He’s a hell of a player. And then Dickinson picked up his game with Zucc… that turned them from a one-line team into a two-line (team), which they never had at the start of the season,” the scout said. “They have two lines that can score. They have a solid checking line and then a fourth line, or whatever you call it. A lot of teams are trying to bring in more and more scoring than a setup like that (with a pure third-line checking role). But I think with those two lines, especially with Zuccarello coming in, and Roope turning into a player… that gives them pretty good offense. Maybe (next season) they can take one of those top-line guys and move him to a second line. Move Roope or Zucc into a third line, that could give them even more balance. I think they’ve got enough right now. Of course, you’re always looking for more, and getting rid of (Jason) Spezza will be huge. But they can be right there with St. Louis in that division next year.”

SaintAngerBH

Postby SaintAngerBH » Thu May 30, 2019 9:06 am

That and trading Benn to Vancouver.

Leonardo da Vinci

Troy McClure

Postby Troy McClure » Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 am

I’m with him. Spezza is not only too slow and unproductive now, but even on the PP he doesn’t really offer much help. When Hintz, Heiskanen, and Zuccarello all showed to be better options on the first PP, that pretty much doomed Spezza’s future with the Stars.